Moparts

Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's

Posted By: High Impact

Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/16/14 06:33 PM

I want to paint my green dash pad black as Im changing the interior color in my 70 RR.

I've heard of SEM but I dont want shiney gloss black. I want a natural looking black. I need to do the kick panels and the A pillar trim.

What should I use?

Thanks!
Posted By: drew72

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/16/14 06:42 PM

Sems landau black isn't shiny.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/16/14 06:53 PM

Quote:

I was to paint my green dash pad black as Im changing the interior color in my 70 RR.

I heard of SEM but Im not sure I was shiney gloss black. I was a natural looking black. I need to do the kick panels and the A pillar trim.

What should I use?

Thanks!

one is plastic and the other is vinyl?? i don't think you can 'paint' vinyl as it will flake off.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/16/14 07:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was to paint my green dash pad black as Im changing the interior color in my 70 RR.

I heard of SEM but Im not sure I was shiney gloss black. I was a natural looking black. I need to do the kick panels and the A pillar trim.

What should I use?

Thanks!

one is plastic and the other is vinyl?? i don't think you can 'paint' vinyl as it will flake off.

SEM Landau Black is fine for the parts the OP is doing, as long as he cleans them down with lacquer thinner before he sprays them to remove any trace oils/silicones

Mike
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/16/14 08:13 PM

I used SEM red when I re-dyed all of my red (faded to pink & various shades of different reds)interior pieces on my 69' Coronet R/T. It seemed to hold up well.

Attached picture 8000019-Picture005.jpg

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/16/14 08:30 PM

Quote:

I used SEM red when I re-dyed all of my red (faded to pink & various shades of different reds)interior pieces on my 69' Coronet R/T. It seemed to hold up well.

seats too?
Posted By: johnzgarage

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/16/14 09:24 PM

I would look into web page
Posted By: High Impact

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/17/14 02:06 AM

Posted By: 70EK2Bird

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/17/14 02:47 AM

I used the SEM stuff to do the door panels in my 74 Challenger. Burn through the "paint", but the cleaner and surface prep stuff seems to last.

Attached picture 8000457-IMG_9965.JPG
Posted By: FrankenScamp

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/17/14 05:06 AM

Quote:

Sems landau black isn't shiny.

Agreed..... Just have to be real thorough in prepping the surface.

Next best thing to buying actual black replacements.
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/17/14 11:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

seats too?

it works fine on non wear pieces.it will eventually wear off on your seats,i know

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/18/14 12:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

seats too?

it works fine on non wear pieces.it will eventually wear off on your seats,i know

i kinda thought that but who knows as i wouldn't try it. can't see how a paint could bond to them.
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/18/14 12:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

seats too?

i kinda thought that but who knows as i wouldn't try it. can't see how a paint could bond to them.

The SEM style is a thin paint/dye that sinks into the top layer of the porous materials. I painted a grey set of shelby charger seats and put them in my challenger about three years ago. The vinyl parts are actually still blacker than the cloth parts. The only thing that has really worn back down to grey is the piping on the entry side of the seat that my jean pockets rub against when I get in.

And yes, the landau black seems to be between a satin and semi-flat finish. Try to keep the coat just enough to get the color you want. Thicker coats will come out shinier as the paint builds up over the material and smooths out the original textures.
Posted By: patosmith

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/18/14 07:21 PM

I just read an article in Mopar Muscle Magazine an issue or two ago where they tried some paint from Herbs Parts on kick panels and a stain in the carpet. They seemed to like it.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Best Paint for dyeing/painting interior plastic's - 01/19/14 05:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

seats too?

No, not on the seats. My seats were already red.
© 2024 Moparts Forums