Moparts

Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers?

Posted By: DodgeCharger

Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/11/14 04:12 PM

I am installing a seat cover and it appears that the seat cover is to big for the seat foam. I guess the foam shrunk or compressed over the years. Is there a way to shrink the vinyl to get a tight wrinkle free fit? I think a heat gun will shrink it a little but I don't know how much? Are there any tricks to shrink it up like a shrink tube?
Thanks,
Posted By: RBSat66

Re: Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/11/14 07:08 PM

I have not had any experience with seat covers, but I wonder if you could cut a 1" piece of foam and glue it to the back and/or bottom of your seat foam to make it thicker and tighten up the vinyl covers? You could probably get the foam and adhesive from an Interior Shop.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/11/14 07:42 PM

Add foam don't try to shrink the cover. Cover is the right size but the foam has compressed over the years.
Posted By: Dodge33

Re: Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/11/14 09:47 PM

is this a ledgendary cover? I got a set of cover from
them and they where made too big,sent them back and got
another set fit good. so if they are not somewhat snug
this may be it. just my 1 cent's worth.
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/11/14 10:24 PM

No not legendary. I had problems in the past with them being to small.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/11/14 10:31 PM

Quote:

Add foam don't try to shrink the cover. Cover is the right size but the foam has compressed over the years.

Yep. And I would recommend getting new foam
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/11/14 11:01 PM

I have added foam before with good results. New foam for my car wasn`t available.
Posted By: Finoke

Re: Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/12/14 02:25 AM

Use new reproduction foam if available. I have reupholstered seats a half dozen times and found it looks best with new foam.

You can do a good job by adding foam but you have to play around with it a lot.

Buy hi density memory foam from your local sewing supply if you want to add where necessary.
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/12/14 02:53 AM

Comfortable seats start with a good base. This seems to be lacking in many cars, which can only lead to one thing-duct tape! To beef up the seats, you must take them down to the bare frames. Then after inspecting the springs and making any repairs, stretch a piece af burlap (sagless burlap is best, but you can glue two pieces of regular together) across the springs. Pull tight and hog ring it to the outer wire frame or onto the springs. Keep it tight! If it is difficult to attach to the base due to it's design, you can sew or glue strong listing wires into the edges of the burlap and hang it like curtain rods from the springs, bridging across the gaps and use less hog rings. Then you glue your foam cushions onto this base. This keeps the springs from cutting into the foam. If your seats need some lift, glue a 1 inch thick layer of good foam between the burlap and your molded foam. You can also cover your molded foam with a layer of 1/4" to 1/2" thick foam to puff it up a little. Dacron on top helps with removing wrinkles in the covers. The magic trick is STEAM ! It puffs old, collapsed foam back up and makes the vinyl soften up and snuggle down into place when shot into the underside of the covers. We use industrial pressure steamers, but I've been wondering if these steam cleaners they sell on late night infomercials could work.

This was written by "Stitcher Bob" on c-body drydock.
Posted By: 2Red2LoudDodge

Re: Anyone with experience installing vinyl seat covers? - 01/13/14 03:52 AM

I recovered my back seats with new covers. The local fabric store sold foam in whatever length you needed starting at 1/4, 1/2 and 1" thicknesses. I added 3/4" to the bench and 1/2" to the back. Spray glued the foam layers together and to the original seat foam. Warm sunny day and extra hands to hold the vinyl while I hog-ringed to the frame was a big help. As long as your base foam is good you can add a little more height as needed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums