Moparts

sb dist, ????

Posted By: Dakota_Don

sb dist, ???? - 12/22/08 04:49 PM

HI all, I have a dist ? my old 360 combo had a MP dist modified bt don at FBO, it only has amech advance no vac.

After speaking to don about my new 410 stroker combo( same cam,carb,intake,heads and headers) he suggested to send it back to be recurved and vac advance added. Well that sounds great but i cant see spending more $$$ on this old mp dist, if i new what to change i would.

anyway i was searching e-gag and found these two dist..

can the advance be adjusted easy?

can the caps be changed with a mopar (female) cap?

anyone use these dist?

I am also looking at the digital dist as well, but thats a lot of $$$

tell me what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DISTRIBUT...sQ5fAccessories

$85

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-DOD...sQ5fAccessories

$67

here is my combo if needed

72 360 stroked to 410

10.2 cr

ported J heads w/2.02

crosswinds intake (rpm air gap)

holley 770 carb

long tube header
2500-2800 stall
XE274H comp cam
230/236@488/491 lift
904 auto
3.73 gears
96 dakota

Attached picture 4894811-251f_1_sbl.jpg

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/22/08 04:50 PM

another

$85

Attached picture 4894816-fc2a_1.jpg
Posted By: crlush

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/22/08 05:13 PM

I would buy a msd before one of those, I think those are china made ones, why dont you try the dist. you have first?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/22/08 05:43 PM

Don my suggestion would be to use your old dist as is for the time being since $$$ are tight. I'd set your total at ~35 which since you have already set the curve will make your initial come out pretty good like it did on the previous eng. If it's not pinging no damage is being done only that there would be some additional power to be gained if you can advance it more & still have no ping. This way you can experiment with it until you can afford to get a vac adv unit.
Posted By: dgc333

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/22/08 06:18 PM

Why not just buy a Mopar Performance distributor? They have a fully adjustable mechanical advance and an adjustable vacuum advance.
Posted By: boomer

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/23/08 11:28 PM

Send it back to Don and let him set up your distributor. That way when it returns to you, it will be correct and ready to go. The dist. that are on ebay aren't any cheaper than having it done by FBO and you will know that the dist. is good.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/23/08 11:36 PM

Quote:

Don my suggestion would be to use your old dist as is for the time being since $$$ are tight. I'd set your total at ~35 which since you have already set the curve will make your initial come out pretty good like it did on the previous eng. If it's not pinging no damage is being done only that there would be some additional power to be gained if you can advance it more & still have no ping.

My stroker likes 18 initial and 36 total. Use your existing distributer. Run it and see where it like the initial timing. PM me your email address and I will send you an article on how to modify the distributer yourself. It is easy to do
Rob

Attached picture 4897628-Dist-advance010.jpg

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/24/08 12:01 AM

ok thanks i will try it first, and yes please send me the article, id like to learn how to modify this MP dist..
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/24/08 12:07 AM

Quote:

ok thanks i will try it first, and yes please send me the article, id like to learn how to modify this MP dist..

Sent
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/24/08 12:17 AM

heres my experience. its easy to modify if you have access to a welder

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post4774218
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: sb dist, ???? - 12/24/08 03:31 AM

The orig distributor is a bucks down way to get you down the road reliably. However, the shaft arrangement is sloppy at best. I had all the orig stuff then took the plunge into a digital E curve for my stroker, and never looked back. Rev limiter, vacuum advance, many curves to choose just by turning the pots on the circuit board. The piece appears well made and the timing is rock solid. The car has never run better.
© 2024 Moparts Forums