Moparts

1972 challenger gas tank vents

Posted By: Shoet1

1972 challenger gas tank vents - 01/10/14 11:55 PM

I have a 72 challenger gas tank with four vent tubes coming out of the front of it. My question is can I cap all four off or just jumper them together. Or does the tank need to vent, I will not be putting the can back in the engine compartment.
Thoughts?
Posted By: ahy

Re: 1972 challenger gas tank vents - 01/11/14 01:48 AM

If the canister is intact it makes a really good vent system. I just ran what had been the engine vent inside the left frame rail and it works great. In the rail is good in the unlikely event liquid comes out, it will run out slowly.

If you plug it you will need another vent system... and vented caps don't work so well in my experience.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: 1972 challenger gas tank vents - 01/11/14 02:34 AM

Put it back exactly the way it was stock in the back. It's the only way your tank will vent properly and not stink up your garage.

Run all four vent lines to the vapor separator in the rear and one line runs from it to the front engine compartment and should be terminated at least as high as the valve cover top or the top of the intake manifold. Then it ran to the charcoal canister on 73-74 cars.

I suggest you vent it to the breather(3 nipple) or the inside of the air cleaner because it don't sound like your concerned with originality.

71 it ran to the breather(3 nipple) on the passenger valve cover and in 73-74 it ran to the top of the intake manifold and then to the charcoal can.
In 72 I'm not sure, but either way I mentioned would work the best and be 100%.

Do it right and don't cut corners on the gas tank venting. You'll be sorry if you do.
Posted By: Shoet1

Re: 1972 challenger gas tank vents - 01/11/14 03:47 AM

Thanks for the input, I will run it as it was. I have all the original parts, but the engine is trashed and we were going to resto mod it a little. But if that's the best way to go I will.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: 1972 challenger gas tank vents - 01/11/14 05:29 AM

Excellent advice Gary!
© 2024 Moparts Forums