Moparts

Smothing out firewall

Posted By: Challenged

Smothing out firewall - 12/22/08 11:45 AM

Hello, I would like to smooth out the firewall in my 72 Challenger. I have seen where others have covered the existing firewall with another layer of metal. I would do this but am concerned about rust developing between them. What would be the best product to put on the panels before joining them? Is their a better way besides out and replacing the firewall? If anybody has done this could you send me some pictures? Thanks.....Ed
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Smothing out firewall - 12/22/08 12:48 PM

Coat them with weld through primer or butt weld them instead of lapping them.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Smothing out firewall - 12/22/08 02:05 PM

cut the old one out,as Adam mentionned,use weld thru primer and butt weld,if you end up keeping the old firewall behind the new sheetmetal,spray lots of etching primer in all the holes,once finished and painted spray 3M Rust Fighter

http://store.goferauto.com/083mrufi1834.html

but I would just trim the old wall out

Stefan
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: Smothing out firewall - 12/22/08 03:18 PM

It may be possible to leave the existing firewall intack, and attach the new "firewall" to the original firewall with hidden fasteners so it could be removed periodically for cleaning, checking for rust, or any other reason. I remember seeing this done on a car years ago....but I don't recall exactly how the new firewall was attached.
Posted By: Challenged

Re: Smothing out firewall - 12/26/08 04:04 PM

Thanks for the help. I will proceed with caution. Regards.....Ed
Posted By: rjsjea

Re: Smothing out firewall - 12/26/08 09:48 PM

Cutting it out is the best way or make sheetmetal patches over the holes you dont want/need.

Cut the whole thing out on my Demon, moved everything under the dash. There was some weight savings as well as the clean look

Old pic..

Attached picture 4902960-100_1079(3).jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums