Moparts

sub frame connertors

Posted By: Dons Dart

sub frame connertors - 01/07/14 08:08 PM

Hi just bought some mopar sub frame connectors for my 69 DART,looking for tips and advice on how to install them.some say put the car on jack stands, level and thats it others say its better with the suspension loaded.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/07/14 08:10 PM

Which type of connectors ? ...TO the floor or THROUGH THE floor ?

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/07/14 08:15 PM

They don't go through the floor p# 4876658.

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/07/14 08:19 PM

IMO .... to the floor are not nearly as effective as the THROUGH THE FLOOR type are ...
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/07/14 11:35 PM

PM Not needed.
those are BOLT in connectors.
ricky

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/07/14 11:40 PM

...the bolt-on connectors are even WORSEless ...IMO... vs the others.
Posted By: jcc

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 01:01 AM

Not sure i would say "worthless", but I would say they (typical bolt in style) are not worth the effort/time/cost.
Posted By: OldMoparMan

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 02:00 AM

I built my own out of 2 X 4 tubing and welded them directly to the front and rear sub frames, they don't touch the floor anywhere in the middle but I can jack up the car at the front or back weld spot and lift the whole side of the car. The car handles corners much better now rides real nice.

So if you can weld them in place with the car setting on the suspension and weight on the drivers seat.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 02:04 AM

Whatever....this topic comes up on every board. Here's what I think..take it or leave it.

Unless you're racing the car(drag or road coarse)ANY frame connector is a HUGE improvement! I built mine(no they don't go through the floor) and welded them. They made a huge improvement in ride and handling quality. Eliminated many squeaks and rattles too! Mine is just a street car but it feels a lot tighter,more responsive.

If you have these connectors and it's a street toy....get it on a drive on style hoist with the weight on the wheels, bolt them on..then weld them up! You will be happy with the results!

If this is a race car...think about something that connects/goes through the floor for maximum effectiveness
Posted By: BrianT

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 02:06 AM

I agree. I bought the MP bolt in connectors but welded them in instead. I can lift the whole side by lifting the front or back sub frame. The car handles 100 percent better. No more twisting and turning on curvy roads. One of the best investments I've made on my Dart.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 02:09 AM

Quote:

I built my own out of 2 X 4 tubing and welded them directly to the front and rear sub frames, they don't touch the floor anywhere in the middle but I can jack up the car at the front or back weld spot and lift the whole side of the car. The car handles corners much better now rides real nice.

So if you can weld them in place with the car setting on the suspension and weight on the drivers seat.

Been doing them that way for years!
Mopar Ford & GM I sit the car on pieces of railroad cross tie & stack concrete blocks the simulate driver weight in the seat
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 02:11 AM

The only real subframe connectors bolt in with .035 wire & go through the floor
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 04:59 AM

I made mine (67 Dart) with I believe 1.5x3" thick wall rectangular tubing, notched for the back of course. It fit the frame rail perfectly, and butts up against the front frame. The parking brake cable required some filing of the connector, but no big deal. And yes I can lift the car with it etc.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 06:01 AM

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/2013...nhra-pro-levels

nice article with pictures..
Posted By: 383man

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 08:41 AM

Quote:

Whatever....this topic comes up on every board. Here's what I think..take it or leave it.

Unless you're racing the car(drag or road coarse)ANY frame connector is a HUGE improvement! I built mine(no they don't go through the floor) and welded them. They made a huge improvement in ride and handling quality. Eliminated many squeaks and rattles too! Mine is just a street car but it feels a lot tighter,more responsive.

If you have these connectors and it's a street toy....get it on a drive on style hoist with the weight on the wheels, bolt them on..then weld them up! You will be happy with the results!

If this is a race car...think about something that connects/goes through the floor for maximum effectiveness

I agree with this. Mine dont go thru the floor so I bolted them in place and then welded them. And I have a 6 point rollbar welded in overtop the unibody frame. But I do race once or twice a year. Ron

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 04:03 PM

Ok good thoughts I do plan on having them welded in the summer,plan to do the bolt on now,i i know some of you don't like the mp bolt on but i am old school look.so what is the diff doing it on jack stands vs with the suspension loaded i realty want to do this at home over the winter.

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 04:05 PM

Quote:

Ok good thoughts I do plan on having them welded in the summer,plan to do the bolt on now,i i know some of you don't like the mp bolt on but i am old school look.so what is the diff doing it on jack stands vs with the suspension loaded i realty want to do this at home over the winter.

ya its just a street toy
Posted By: mopowers

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 04:42 PM

As long as the panels line up and doors open smoothly, bolt em up and call it good. It'll be worlds better than stock. Then when you have time, burn em in. Don't let people scare you. You've already got them. Use them!!

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 04:48 PM

Quote:

As long as the panels line up and doors open smoothly, bolt em up and call it good. It'll be worlds better than stock. Then when you have time, burn em in. Don't let people scare you. You've already got them. Use them!!

thanks.

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 05:05 PM

Quote:

I agree. I bought the MP bolt in connectors but welded them in instead. I can lift the whole side by lifting the front or back sub frame. The car handles 100 percent better. No more twisting and turning on curvy roads. One of the best investments I've made on my Dart.

Brian how did you do your install on a drive on lift or on jack stands?
Posted By: MileHighDart

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 06:53 PM

Just because the car is on stands, doesn't mean the suspension cant be "loaded". It depends on where you place the stands.

When I welded mine in. I ran the front of the car up on ramps, then jacked the rear up and set it on stands, with the stands place under the rear end housing. This way the car is up in the air and you can work under it, but it is setting on the suspension, just as if it were sitting on the ground.
Hope that helps a little. I think some people are thinking that "on stands" means you have them placed under the unibody, with the suspension hanging.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 07:45 PM

Mine are 1-5/8 c.m. round tube all tied in from the cage above.

Attached picture 7990082-100_1709.JPG
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 07:45 PM

At the front.

Attached picture 7990083-100_1707.JPG

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 08:03 PM

very nice.
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 08:55 PM

I used the bolt in style but welded them right off the bat. I didn't want to cut through the floor. I just wanted to stiffen it up, I don't plan on any wheelstands.

Attached picture 7990185-IMG_5391.JPG

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 09:06 PM

I just open the box and did a quick fit,pass side fits great,driver side that emg cable is in the way how do i work around that.Also the instructions say to just jack up the rear and put stands under the axle sounds right to you guys?
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 09:27 PM

As for the emergency brake cable, drill a large hole through the connector on each side but at an angle and weld a pipe in the hole. Mount the connector, then slide the cable through the pipe and reassemble the brake. It worked for me 30 years ago.
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 09:27 PM

Quote:

When I welded mine in. I ran the front of the car up on ramps, then jacked the rear up and set it on stands, with the stands place under the rear end housing. This way the car is up in the air and you can work under it, but it is setting on the suspension, just as if it were sitting on the ground.
Hope that helps a little. I think some people are thinking that "on stands" means you have them placed under the unibody, with the suspension hanging.

Here is your answer.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 10:04 PM

not sure this will help.

Attached picture 7990289-7834647-040(1)subframe.JPG

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/08/14 10:10 PM

those are nice but nothing like what i have.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/09/14 08:01 AM

Quote:

I used the bolt in style but welded them right off the bat. I didn't want to cut through the floor. I just wanted to stiffen it up, I don't plan on any wheelstands.

That's what I did on mine, looks exactly like how yours is done.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: sub frame connertors - 01/11/14 01:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I did on mine, looks exactly like how yours is done.

I did this too. I used Comp Engineering connectors and welded them in. I've often thought that I could use steel flatbar stock and scribe it to the floor, cut it to the scribe line, then weld it directly to the floor and to the sides of the connectors to box them in to the floor. Seems like this would be just as strong as "through the floor" without dealing with the carpet and floor lump issues.
© 2024 Moparts Forums