Moparts

rim blow steering wheels

Posted By: mopars_1

rim blow steering wheels - 12/22/08 06:06 AM

if I were to buy a rim blow steering wheel peice be peice, what do I have to all be looking for? any info is greatly appreciated!
-kevin
Posted By: stwheels

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/22/08 05:04 PM

Hi Kevin, you of course need the wheel itself, the appropriate center cap for your application, a reproduction rim blow switch, a ground wire and a Black plastic spoke end cover and screw for the front of the bottom spoke where the switch ends are located.

There are 3 center caps, The one shown is for Plymouth in 1971, another 1970 version is identical but has a Barracuda emblem in the middle and then there is Dodge version without the 3 fake allen head bolts but with a metal band on the front face of the Black rubber that has the word "DODGE" stamped in it twice.

Attached picture 4894838-rimblowfront.jpg

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/22/08 05:05 PM

Here's a shot of the rear showing the ground wire.

Attached picture 4894842-rimblowrear.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/22/08 05:10 PM

..........And you will need the correct steering wheel column adapter depending on which vehicle you plan on installing it on.

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/22/08 05:19 PM

Quote:

..........And you will need the correct steering wheel column adapter depending on which vehicle you plan on installing it on.

Yep, what Scott said. If the wheel is going on an A or B body that had a standard wheel mounted with a splined shaft you would need one of the adapters. This would be a smooth sided adapter.

If the wheel is going on any E body it's just a matter of bolting it on the crush can corrogated adapter that will already be in place.

This picture shows the Dodge center cap and the E body only adapter.

Attached picture 4894871-WesternSportSpecialinterior.jpg
Posted By: rrunner

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/22/08 05:52 PM

Doug,
Did you get the photos I sent for my 68 wheel?
John

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/22/08 06:31 PM

thanks for all the info guys! I wanted a rim blow for my 71' roadrunner, and wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into. thanks again!

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/22/08 07:35 PM

Quote:

Doug,
Did you get the photos I sent for my 68 wheel?
John

Hi John, e-mail sent!
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/23/08 12:03 AM

look for a wheel with the 3 spokes in close to mint condition...all the other stuff,switch,wire,end cover,center caps are all available now....and then u can pick and choose who u want to restore it....heck, just get the wheel...they can steer you over to the other parts that they don't have/sell....doug did a great job on mine...
Posted By: ErikR

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/23/08 02:03 AM

another detial to look out for would be the dish of the rimblow wheel. Based on a post here awhile ago I think it was shown that there was a difference in the dish of 1970 and 1971 wheels with the same part number. I know I saved some reference pics but it's on a drive packed away. FWIW I do have 2 rimblows with different dish in the wheels.
Posted By: plumbeeper

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/23/08 04:11 AM

Quote:

another detial to look out for would be the dish of the rimblow wheel. Based on a post here awhile ago I think it was shown that there was a difference in the dish of 1970 and 1971 wheels with the same part number. I know I saved some reference pics but it's on a drive packed away. FWIW I do have 2 rimblows with different dish in the wheels.

The difference in the depth of the spokes is all just high production manufacturing at it's best. There is no reason there would be an intended difference since they made an adapter to compensate for the depth. I've seen this posted a few times and still no consistant documented proof that it was intentional.

Dave
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/23/08 04:16 AM

Quote:

The difference in the depth of the spokes is all just high production manufacturing at it's best. There is no reason there would be an intended difference since they made an adapter to compensate for the depth. I've seen this posted a few times and still no consistant documented proof that it was intentional.

Dave

I believe it was completely random

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/23/08 04:28 AM

All of the items Doug listed are needed as well as the one item that gives the wheel it's signature name "The Rimblow Switch"

We have all of the items you need, in stock and ready to ship. Rimblow wheels as well as all of the Mopar woodgrain wheel are all we do.

Dave

Attached picture 4896157-RimblowwithfishcapPLUMBEEPER.COM.JPG

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/23/08 05:35 AM

Quote:

All of the items Doug listed are needed as well as the one item that gives the wheel it's signature name "The Rimblow Switch"

We have all of the items you need, in stock and ready to ship. Rimblow wheels as well as all of the Mopar woodgrain wheel are all we do.

Dave

dave, you are an awsome guy! my dad had you redo a rim blow steering wheel for his boss mustang and it turnd out GREAT. If I get a wheel that has a crack in it, you will be getting my buisness thanks everyone for the great info!

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/23/08 05:55 AM

one more question, was the button suppose to be color keyd to the rest of the interior? my interior for the 71 roadrunner will be gold if that makes a difference. thanks!
Posted By: cogen80

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/23/08 09:50 AM

so whats a used rim blow that is in decent shape but sure not show quality going for these days? i have one laying around from a 71 a-body and just wondering.
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/23/08 12:52 PM

If the spokes are good, probably $200-$250 for the wheel by itself, add another $150-$200 if you have a nice center cap to go with it.

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/24/08 12:40 AM

does anyone know about the center cap? thanks

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/24/08 01:34 AM

Quote:

New, the only color you could get was Black but now they are reproduced in several colors so it would be up to you as to what color you'd prefer.

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/24/08 02:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

New, the only color you could get was Black but now they are reproduced in several colors so it would be up to you as to what color you'd prefer.

I've seen several original Fishcaps and Dodge caps molded in the original factory color (black, red, burnt orange, green, blue)but never the 71 style. The Fishcaps and Dodge caps are being reproduced and can be molded into any color, I just need a paint code. The 71 style rubber pad is not being reproduced (we have way too many black ones)so it would need to be vinyl dyed, again I would just need a paint code.

Dave
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/24/08 02:09 AM

What holds the fake allen bolts on the piece? Mine has tiny holes through them and isn't together anymore

Re: rim blow steering wheels - 12/24/08 02:21 AM

Quote:

What holds the fake allen bolts on the piece? Mine has tiny holes through them and isn't together anymore

They originally had plastic tabs that were melted over to hold the cap together. We now use machine bolts that are hidden inside of the Allen heads so they won't break again.

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums