Moparts

steam in my exhaust pipe

Posted By: badchallenger

steam in my exhaust pipe - 12/22/08 01:52 AM

My 440 had a lot of steam coming out of one side of the exhaust real bad this was on a warm day and even after 10 miles of driving it would not go away. So I pulled the head on that one side. I did not find any sign of a bad head gasket. I am posting a pic of the block and head to see if you see anything I didnt. Im also wondering if the head might be cracked around the exhaust port area and it was possibly sucking antifreeze out the exhaust. Should i have the head magnafluxed? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Dave
Posted By: jbc426

Re: steam in my exhaust pipe - 12/22/08 01:54 AM

Did you find a port- in the head or in the exhaust manifold or combustion chamber that was really, really clean? Cleaner than any other port?

Re: steam in my exhaust pipe - 12/22/08 01:54 AM

pic

Attached picture 4893936-DSCF2172.JPG
Posted By: dOc !

Re: steam in my exhaust pipe - 12/22/08 01:56 AM

A LOT of steam ? .. there is leakage somewhere. How much coolent is it "eating".

Re: steam in my exhaust pipe - 12/22/08 01:56 AM

pic 2

Attached picture 4893943-DSCF2180.JPG

Re: steam in my exhaust pipe - 12/22/08 02:08 AM

I checked the exhaust ports and they look pretty much the same
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: steam in my exhaust pipe - 12/22/08 02:12 AM

Dave

I'd suspect perhaps cylinders 4 and 6, they usually suffer coolant leaks from the exhaust studs/ bolts.,,,,plus you have headers, and when antifreeze/water collect in the bottom of the tubes, it takes a while to burn off,....I bet your exhaust on the passenger side was fogging like a misquito fog sprayer!......see if there's still coolant in the header tubes, if so, disconnect the collector, drain the header, use studs if you can for the ports of cyl.4 and 6, use permatex gold silicone (hi temp), assemble, let dry before adding coolant,....I've had this problem before on header equipped cars, and the 1st fear was always head gaskets, cracks, etc,......use new gaskets when you put everything back together!

Attached picture 4893976-0000a.jpg
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: steam in my exhaust pipe - 12/22/08 02:21 AM

Quote:

I checked the exhaust ports and they look pretty much the same

That looks like a good sign?....if the coolant was leaking into or by the cylinder it would have a telltale effect on carbon build up, or other visual clues, to let you know something is amiss,....like I suspected in my first post, exhaust studs/bolts leaking, see if you can find what tubes have/ had coolant in them,....that will lead you to the possible suspect studs/ bolts.....when a stud/ bolt leaks, it's usually has the coolant drawn into the corresponding header tube by the scavenging effect of the exhaust pulse

Attached picture 4893996-0000a.jpg

Re: steam in my exhaust pipe - 12/22/08 02:26 AM

Ill try the permatex and hope that it works!
Thanks for the reply!
Wish me luck
© 2024 Moparts Forums