Moparts

Body work question for those 'sperienced.

Posted By: cjbill

Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 12/31/13 10:11 PM

In continuing to do my underhood clean-up on the '69 300, the driver inner fender has several 3/8" holes from one of the PO's mounting "something" there. Since it is underhood and exposed to higher than normal temps, is it okay to just fill the holes with bondo or use small squares of fiberglass instead before blending and painting?
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 12/31/13 10:24 PM

Weld them then finish them off..

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 12/31/13 10:30 PM

Unfortunately, unable to weld.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 12/31/13 10:35 PM

Quote:

Learn

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 12/31/13 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Learn

Wow, thanks for the advice, folks, just what I was looking for, I can weld, but am unable to at the moment (welder in storage)...let me put it this way, don't WANT to weld.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 12/31/13 10:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Learn

Wow, thanks for the advice, folks, just what I was looking for, I can weld, but am unable to at the moment (welder in storage)...let me put it this way, don't WANT to weld.

You even have a welder and don't want to learn?

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 12/31/13 11:00 PM

No, have a welder, know how (at least basically), but welder in storage about 300 miles away. Stuck right now. Just looking for things that I "can" do right now, instead of sitting on my butt all winter, watching TV, and thinking about doing it.
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 12:45 AM

In my experience bondo will eventually 'pop' from a filled hole without extra support. If you can get to the underside of the hole, put some fiberglass cloth there and then bondo on top. Another approach (so you're only working on the top side of the panel) is to sink the area around the hole with a hammer, then lay one or two layers of fiberglass, then bondo over the whole thing.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 12:52 AM

Is it possible to fill the holes with the Eastwoods body solder?
Posted By: Brian_wo

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 02:26 AM

Do it right
Find somebody close with a mini mig and weld it,you will be glad you did.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 02:34 AM

Welding creates rust Use some body epoxy & glue plugs of metal either in or over them
Posted By: dOc …

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 03:03 AM

There's a guy from Joisey that is a WIZARD at and rattle-can jobs ... he goes through SO MUCH "mud" ... I hear he buys it in 55 gallon drums ....
Posted By: Centerline

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 03:16 AM

Quote:

Welding creates rust

To be a bit more accurate...Welding does not create rust. Improper finishing of the welded metal creates rust.

Either weld the holes or find something else to do under the hood until you are able to borrow a welder or retrieve yours. Anything worth doing is worth doing right and glass or filler is NOT the proper or permanent way to fill those holes.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 03:34 AM

I have cleaned the back and used epoxy to attach a thin piece of sheet metal behind the hole then bondo on the front, also I have "sunk" the hole and used a little bit of fiberglass and epoxy to fill it. Sand it smooth and finish. Both seem to hold up fine. Agree bondo alone won't hold up.

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 04:00 AM

Thanks for the advice, all, think I may "try" the bondo thing out on a trial piece of metal first. If I don't like the results, since I am a novice at the whole bondo/fill thing, I'll try to find someone around with a MIG who is willing to attempt it.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 08:47 PM

Welding is best and you've asked for opinions and got them...Mine would be to use "all-metal" brand filler if you have to go that route...It's not going to pop from the heat... Only advice would be to countersink the hole{which could be seen from the backside depending on the location}...Ballpeen hammer and a socket on the backside would work to do the job.. You'd need to feather the filler out not just fill the hole and sand it flat leaving a distinct line between the metal and filler..
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/01/14 09:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Welding creates rust

To be a bit more accurate...Welding does not create rust. Improper finishing of the welded metal creates rust.

Either weld the holes or find something else to do under the hood until you are able to borrow a welder or retrieve yours. Anything worth doing is worth doing right and glass or filler is NOT the proper or permanent way to fill those holes.

Weld it or leave the holes....anything else is a waste of time IMO.

Dave
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/02/14 02:22 AM

I agree with everyone, do what's right,not what's easy. You might be able to get a cheap flux core welder at Harbor Freight.With 25% off coupon it might be around $50 lol! But if you still can not get a welder,use panel bonding adhesive. Many brands on the market like 3M,SEM,Norton,Fusor,Dominion Seal, Wurth,etc.

It works best on ground clean metal.
Posted By: dan9

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/02/14 09:57 PM

Maybe use a tiger hair type of filler first then finish with a little bondo.
Posted By: VoodooCLD

Re: Body work question for those 'sperienced. - 01/03/14 09:41 PM

If you fill holes with bondo, the bondo will later soak up moisture and crack through, making it look worse than drilled holes. Bondo is meant to go between metal and layers of paint.

I'll also vote you should weld, or leave them alone.
© 2024 Moparts Forums