Moparts

What is a good Handheld Auto Diagnostic "auto scanner"?

Posted By: 70shaker6pk

What is a good Handheld Auto Diagnostic "auto scanner"? - 12/22/08 12:34 AM

Thanks
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: What is a good Handheld Auto Diagnostic "auto scanner"? - 12/22/08 04:47 AM

I have one of these..

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3030-Diagnos...1166&sr=1-3

No complaints, works simply and as advertised. For a few dollars more is an Actron that can be upgraded.. not sure why I didn't opt for that one, probably something to do with the Amazon customer reviews of each though..

Re: What is a good Handheld Auto Diagnostic "auto scanner"? - 12/23/08 01:13 PM

Thanks for your help.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: What is a good Handheld Auto Diagnostic "auto scanner"? - 12/23/08 02:34 PM

really depends on usage. If this is for a pre-OBDII vehicle of your own, you don't need the same power a guy that is doing warranty work on new stuff needs.
There are used/new scanners, software you can load into a laptop, and all-in-one smart boxes that also are powerful O-scopes. Just like any tool, budget and use determine what you need.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: What is a good Handheld Auto Diagnostic "auto scanner"? - 12/23/08 04:01 PM

It really depends on the car you need it for. I still don't know what Chrysler did differently on the intercooled cars, but I have not found an inexpensive (about $200 or less) scanner that will fully work with my 89 LeBaron GTC. I have one now that will only read the stored codes, but it the same info that I can read out of the dash. By contrast this same scanner will give me live readout from my wife's 95 LeBaron (3.0).

After dealing with Actron and autoxray, I would look elsewhere.

Re: What is a good Handheld Auto Diagnostic "auto scanner"? - 12/24/08 03:09 AM

I work out of my home garage on all different makes so i didn't really know what i would need. I have been looking around but they do make alot of different ones.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
© 2024 Moparts Forums