Moparts

Starting a dormant engine

Posted By: cudaboy

Starting a dormant engine - 12/30/13 08:36 PM

I need to fire up the 440 for the first time in three years soon, and was wondering what I should do to it before starting? I am going to change the oil/filter and pre lube it. Anything else? It does have a solid cam, do I need to check the valve lash? Obviously, I will be putting in fresh fuel also.

Thanks

Dennis
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Starting a dormant engine - 12/30/13 09:06 PM

It wouldn't hurt to check, but it will be the same as it was when parked.

Pre lube it, and I'd throw fresh plugs in. Maybe check the carb out (although I usually don't bother until after I have it running). If it has points I usually change them out.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Starting a dormant engine - 12/30/13 10:05 PM

I would do as you are and add(squirt) some ATF, not a bunch , into each cylinder and leave all the spark plugs out and then prime it, once you have oil pressure spin the motor over on the starter for four or five burst of ten to twenty seconds each to lube the rockers and everything else
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Starting a dormant engine - 12/30/13 10:53 PM

when your (drill) priming it turn it so the rotor is at #6 for a minute then turn it to #8 for a minute so the pass & dr heads can oil. What Cab said I'd pull the plugs & oil the cyls/rings. I would open the carb & see what it looks like in there & then when back together fill the bowls by hand & new plugs as needed.
Posted By: gregsrt

Re: Starting a dormant engine - 12/30/13 11:07 PM

Put in some zinc additive too. Comp Cams break in oil or similar.
Posted By: JH23

Re: Starting a dormant engine - 12/31/13 12:26 AM

Pour a quart of ATF down the intake and let it sit for a week. Remove the plugs. Squirt some ATF in the cylinders the ATF didnt get into. Then slowly turn the crank back and forth until you are satisfied the engine turns freely. Then crank it to blow out the ATF.
© 2024 Moparts Forums