Moparts

spark plug wires for a 440

Posted By: watsonpoint

spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/27/13 02:17 AM

Getting ready to assemble my 440 and don't have plug wires for it. It is a 1973 440 with a Mopar electronic dist with a brown cap. Engine also has headers so I think the factory wires wont work. Anyone have any suggestions on wire sets for my engine? Either premade or cut to fit would work. Looking at some engine photos I see many different angle ends. Any help would be great. Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/27/13 02:38 AM

I always thought the less resistance the better (solid wire cores) but people have stated that it ain't as simple as that & also I've seen that Firecore wires get regular rave reviews on here. I'm not convinced. EDIT They ain't cheap tho
Posted By: therocks

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/27/13 03:22 AM

We run Taylor Spiro Pros on all our cars.Mine with 2 inch headers have been on at least 14 years.My kids 2 1/8 tubes have been on for 8 years.We have ran them on stock manifolds and headers with no problems.I even had them on my 57.We use the ones for stock BBs and or SBs.Have them on the Harleys that we made from extra coil wires.Rocky
Posted By: GY3

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/27/13 03:36 AM

I have run Taylors on two 440's with headers and really like them.

That said, I will probably buy some Firecores next summer.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/27/13 06:30 AM

Firecores work well, and the stock ones are matched well with numbers for easy installment. I love them on my 440.
Mike
Posted By: ahy

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/27/13 06:43 AM

When I assembled my wedge, I started with Taylor's. They fit great on the engine stand with headers installed. In the car, different story. That pesky power steering box got in the way, among other things. I switched them around as best I could and still burnt one or two wires.

Next was MSD with bend to fit boots (Mancini). They have worked gear. No more burning. Just a little spendy but much better than replacing wires every 1-2k miles(496 low deck with 1 7/8" TTI's in a '70E).

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/27/13 02:38 PM

If you burnt the Taylors something was wrong.My kids 62 300 with 2 1/8 tubes and PS hasnt burnt them in 8 years.He does run a boot cover on #7 cyl as the headers are so large.My 65 has no ps and the fit is tight with a 440 and 2 inch tubes.Taylors have been on at least 12 to 14 years.Still pliable and no burns.Rocky
Posted By: cjbill

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/27/13 11:58 PM

I've had good luck (in the past) with the Summit universal 8mm sets, and a set of spark plug heat boots. My apps weren't Mopar, but a '79 Ranchero and '88 T-Bird, both with 460's and big 2" full-length headers. The "custom fit" sets never seemed to have the lengths dead-on for those apps, and that irked me. Can't beat the price, about $50 total.
Posted By: 4woody

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/28/13 08:49 AM

I was using MSD Streetfire Wires on my 383-powered, electronic ignition, project- which has some header clearance issues. They are a made in USA, 8mm, black. universal fit set. Cost about $35 at Summit.

Unfortunately I cut one wire a little short, and wanted to redo my coil wire with straight boots/terminals instead of the 90 degree ones that came with my kit anyway.

Autozone was on the way home from work. I usually expect the cheapest of the worst from them, and was expecting to buy a single wire along with boots and terminals for the coil wire.

I ended up buying a complete set of Duralast #1601 cut-to-fit wires (90 degree dizzy & plug boots, straight coil wire boots, plain black rubber, 8mm, 2 year warranty) that are made in USA and look an awful lot like my MSD's. For $15 the set.

I was very pleasantly surprised at both the quality and price. Unless they turn out to have some hidden flaw these should be real popular with the budget-minded rodder.

FWIW Duralast #1600 is the same wire set but with straight plug boots, and both sets come with terminals for both HEI & socket style dizzys.

They've been on a year now, and are still doing fine
Posted By: cjbill

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/28/13 06:55 PM

Quote:

I ended up buying a complete set of Duralast #1601 cut-to-fit wires (90 degree dizzy & plug boots, straight coil wire boots, plain black rubber, 8mm, 2 year warranty) that are made in USA and look an awful lot like my MSD's. For $15 the set.

Good info! And "economical" is a quality overcoming many faults!
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/28/13 07:16 PM

MSD makes a nice 8mm BLACK set. Pretty cheap thru Summit. I've used a few sets w/o any issues.

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/28/13 09:35 PM

Just dont use the red house wires from AZ.We installed some sets at work.Within a few months all were arcing.We did and I still do use a lot of Autolite wires for stock apps.Rocky
Posted By: dogdays

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/29/13 02:36 AM

Isn't anyone going to give Firecore a blast? SunroofGTX is Firecore, AFAIK.

R.

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/29/13 06:06 AM

Quote:

Autozone was on the way home from work. I ended up buying a complete set of Duralast #1601 cut-to-fit wires (90 degree dizzy & plug boots, straight coil wire boots, plain black rubber, 8mm, 2 year warranty) that are made in USA and look an awful lot like my MSD's. For $15 the set.

I was very pleasantly surprised at both the quality and price.

Called AZ earlier today, $14.99 & in stock
Posted By: watsonpoint

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/29/13 04:03 PM

Are you guys using 90 degree boots on either end and are you running them under the headers like factory or over the valve cover?
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/30/13 11:14 PM

Hello. What manufacture headers will you be using? In using headers, it will be difficult to use most of the stock wire looms.

What about the Firecores are you you not convinced about? I can answer any and all questions. Thank you.

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/30/13 11:39 PM

Quote:

Are you guys using 90 degree boots on either end and are you running them under the headers like factory or over the valve cover?

I've always run straight boots on the dist end cuz most come that way tho I think 90 deg would lay flatter but no issues so far that would make me want to source 90 deg ends & convert. Been on small blocks for decades & their plug ends are straight boots with the long sheaths. did a BB awhile back & iirc some of the plug ends were straight & some were 90 deg (HP manifolds).
Posted By: 383man

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 06:31 AM

These are Firecore wires with 45 degree angle boots and they fit great. Best fitting plug wires I have used. Ron

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 02:23 PM

The MSD kit allows you to bend the ends to any angle you desire.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 03:25 PM

i've used a varity of wires over the years MSD, Accel, Jacobs. i even tried a set of solid core which i really liked but was impossible to set timing with my MSD ecu. i still use the coil to dizzy solid wire. the set i use now are also the Taylor Spiro Pros. i alway buy the custom length set and cut them to fit. i also ohm them as i go along. i've also always used 8mm and use boot covers on 2 of them.

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 04:40 PM

I run the custom looms that Summit has.They bolt along side the VC and keep the wires up from the headers.Mine have been on for about 20 years and no problems.I believe they are R&Ms.Rocky

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 04:47 PM

Quote:

I run the custom looms that Summit has.They bolt along side the VC and keep the wires up from the headers.Mine have been on for about 20 years and no problems.I believe they are R&Ms.Rocky

same here. keeps everything up and very neat gotta squish the 8mm in them though!

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 05:57 PM

I might drill mine for 10 MM wires.I havent decided if Ill go 10 or stick with 8s when I change them.After 15 years mine are looking tacky.Still work great.I wonder if they will warrant them as they carry a lifetime warranty.Ive never had to replace a set of them yet.Taylor makes some great wires.Rocky

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 06:38 PM

you know, it never occurred to me to drill out the holes?! yeah some 10's would look pretty awesome in the right color! over-kill? of course but cool none the less. the Taylors seem easier to clean then say the MSD's but not as easy as the Accel.

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 07:43 PM

why on earth would you put 10mm wires on a car, unless it was an all out race car. IMHO it would look bad, not to mention be a pain to get them around some headers.

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 08:16 PM

Quote:

why on earth would you put 10mm wires on a car, unless it was an all out race car. IMHO it would look bad, not to mention be a pain to get them around some headers.

the BLING factor of course and you're right, getting them around headers would be a pain! i'm quite happy with 8's.

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 12/31/13 09:50 PM

My 65 is pretty much a race car thats street driven.12.5 domes aluminum heads,M1 with 1050 Dominator etc.I have plenty of room except for #6 which sits close to the shock tower.Rocky
Posted By: mosweethemi

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 01/02/14 11:33 AM

HELLO THE LAST TEN CARS WITH BIG BLOCKS IN THEM WITH STOCK EXHAUST OR HEADERS .I PUT ACCEL 300+ WIRES ON THEM . 8.8 MM VERY WELL MADE. AROUND $125.00 A SET.YOU GET 11 WIRES TOTAL IN THE SET PRE MADE.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 01/02/14 11:56 AM

I used Accel, MSD, Firecore, Taylor,

Best fit and best BOOT were Firecores for sure.

And they are easy to get in Canada too.

Attached picture 7981639-2013-prochargerbraced.jpg

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 01/03/14 12:17 AM

Quote:

I used Accel, MSD, Firecore, Taylor,

Best fit and best BOOT were Firecores for sure.

And they are easy to get in Canada too.

that setup is pretty slick! i like it
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 01/03/14 03:05 AM

I've used Taylors in the past but I just came into a set of Firecores. They look very nice, I think I will be trying them on my Dart.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 01/03/14 08:43 PM

Quote:

I've used Taylors in the past but I just came into a set of Firecores. They look very nice, I think I will be trying them on my Dart.

Very nice, great timing it seems. If you need anything custom, just give me a call. How were the pickles?
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 01/04/14 06:10 AM

Quote:

How were the pickles?

Yummy. Thanks!
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: spark plug wires for a 440 - 01/04/14 12:25 PM

Quote:

I always thought the less resistance the better (solid wire cores) but people have stated that it ain't as simple as that & also I've seen that Firecore wires get regular rave reviews on here. I'm not convinced. EDIT They ain't cheap tho

While your mind is already up:
Here-try some real world product testimony.

On every car [4] that was already well tuned - the Fircore wires made each run significantly better. Period.

In fact the idle in each car picked up 30-50 rpm just with the new wires and i had to revisit the tune up on each one. A digital tach is a valuable tuning device...The overall performance also improved as well-two of these well tuned cars cars were flogged on a road course and the wires made a noticeable difference that you can hear in the way the engine runs!!. Those same 2 cars had msd wire sets that ohmed out just like the firecores, but the firecores made a visible difference. OK then? This is one good example of you get what you pay for.

© 2024 Moparts Forums