Moparts

73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons

Posted By: wayfarer1

73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/26/08 01:12 AM

I am in the process of pulling the junk 318 and 904 from my 72 Swinger to start the resto. I can see evidence of some pretty heave pitting and surface rust on the stock V8 K-frame. I am thinking about replacing it and I know where there are 2 spool type k-frames, one has a complete disc brake setup on it.

My question is what are the benefits of the spool k-frame over the earlier biscuit type and are there and problems with the newer design that I should be concerned with.

Any help will be appreciated,
Joe
Posted By: jmf340

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/26/08 01:43 AM

I don't know about any design flaws or benefits to the newer style spool mount, other than I feel it is easier to get the motor mount in the desired frame mount and slide a bolt through. It also tells you that the motor is situated correctly. Just my opinion though.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/26/08 01:46 AM

spool mount are superior in everyway.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/26/08 02:16 AM

Quote:

spool mount are superior in everyway.

Attached picture 4451127-CopyofPICT2031.JPG
Posted By: patrick

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/26/08 12:04 PM

only negative is I think the front track on the later big-bolt pattern K's are a little wider...
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/26/08 06:24 PM

I think thats due to the spindle/rotor. The LCAs are the same.

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/26/08 07:15 PM

Quote:

only negative is I think the front track on the later big-bolt pattern K's are a little wider...

Like Rocketride said, thats from the spindles/rotors. So if you do the factory type BBP conversion to a 67-72 A-body, you be at the same width.

I had the BBP conversion in my 68 K-member. Then I switched to just the 73-76 K-member. No width change and no engine height change either.

Attached picture 4452744-RtWeldGenl.JPG

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/27/08 12:26 AM

So if I use the BBP disc brakes I have with the 73 spool k-member I should be good?

I have to get the old motor out first and evaluate the condition of the original k-frame before I make a final decision on replacing it.

Thanks for the info!
Joe

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/27/08 12:56 AM

Quote:

So if I use the BBP disc brakes I have with the 73 spool k-member I should be good?

I have to get the old motor out first and evaluate the condition of the original k-frame before I make a final decision on replacing it.

Thanks for the info!
Joe

Yes, that will be fine. If have to, you can re-use your 72 biscuit type K-member too.

Do any of these setups have lower control arms with sway bars tabs??

The one on the left is a 73-76. The one of the right is a 67-72

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/27/08 01:13 PM

Quote:

Do any of these setups have lower control arms with sway bars tabs??

I doubt it. The complete 73 Dart Swinger in the yard is just a 318 car with A/C and the other 73 is a 4 door and has been stripped pretty good but the K-Member is still there.

However, if there happens to be a a swaybar setup, you can gaurantee it will find its way onto my car!

Joe
Posted By: boden

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 01:47 AM

One con is that to you cannot install a 5.7 hemi with the TTI brackets using spool mounts. I actually cut 2 k-frames apart and made a hybrid. Top half is 72- for engine mounts, bottom half is 73+ style for the throught the k-frame sway bar.
Posted By: 65cuda

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 02:04 AM

you can buy a sway bar kit. another great thing about the spool mount is the sway bar goes through the k and doesn't hang below. also your not going to pull a motor mount apart.

Attached picture 4458517-P4270002.JPG
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 02:17 AM

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 03:14 AM

Quote:

One con is that to you cannot install a 5.7 hemi with the TTI brackets using spool mounts. I actually cut 2 k-frames apart and made a hybrid. Top half is 72- for engine mounts, bottom half is 73+ style for the throught the k-frame sway bar.

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 04:21 AM

Well, I found out today that a friend has a spool mount k-frame that I will be buying from him for a good price. He does not have the mounting brackets though. I know where there are 2 V8 Darts with the brackets still attached.

Is there an easy way to remove the mounting brackets with the engine still in the car or will I have to have the motor pulled to get them off?

Thanks to all for the great info!

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 04:34 AM

i got mine from advance auto parts. new and ready to bolt in.

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 04:45 AM

Quote:

Yes, spool mount motor mounts have the motor mount brackets integrated with them.

The long bolt that goes through the motor mount and to the K-member is sort of special. The washer fit the k-frame and IIRC, it's swaged in the center so it doesn't spin when you tighten it??

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 04:50 AM

Crap, I gotta find a set of those, my parts car didnt have them.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 04:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, spool mount motor mounts have the motor mount brackets integrated with them.

The long bolt that goes through the motor mount and to the K-member is sort of special. The washer fit the k-frame and IIRC, it's swaged in the center so it doesn't spin when you tighten it??

sounds bout right.

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 05:56 AM

Quote:

Crap, I gotta find a set of those, my parts car didnt have them.

Might be available from dealer.

Same as any junkyard FMJ and R-body bolt. Maybe even others.

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 11:54 AM

you don't have to have the that bolt. i used a reg 1/2-20. but you will have to hold the other side when you tighten it up

Attached picture 4459099-kframe.jpg
Posted By: 48Heap

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 07:37 PM

Quote:

you can buy a sway bar kit. another great thing about the spool mount is the sway bar goes through the k and doesn't hang below. also your not going to pull a motor mount apart.

I did something similar for my '63 Valiant, but I sectioned 1.5" from the middle and moved the mounts forward 2" instead. I wanted the spool mounts, better swaybar, and through bolt idler.

Posted By: klunick

Re: 73-76 A-Body Spool Mount K-Frame, Pros/Cons - 05/29/08 09:08 PM

So the stupid question is, where do you get the bolts? I got the mounts but no bolts came with them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums