Moparts

Cheap Headers

Posted By: johnfin

Cheap Headers - 12/18/13 04:36 AM

Does anyone make a cheap (around $165) full length header for a 1969 B body with big block AND...power steering.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/18/13 04:53 AM

Where did the $165 number come from? The contents of the kids piggy bank?
GOOD fitting headers cost more than $165.

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/18/13 05:10 AM

I looked at sites like Jegs and Summit, they had a few from 139 to 175 so I just piked around 165. Only problem is they wont work with power steering. I have some HP cast exhaust manifolds but dont really want to use them.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/18/13 05:55 AM

I had Hedmans on my 71 RR 383 with PS. Good fit with no interference problems..
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/18/13 07:03 AM

They will work with power steering. You may have to make a couple dings for clearance but the cheapies will work. One way is to use a c-clamp with a block of wood on one side so you don't mash them up like with a hammer.
Posted By: roe

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/18/13 11:29 AM

I used Doug's headers on mine. I was originally looking at the less expensive headers as well. But after comparing them all from Summit brand up to TTI, Dougs were the best all around IMO. They have the same really thick, antiwarp phalanges that the TTI's have, and the same thick gauge steel for the pipes, they fit just as well as the the TTI's, which is miles ahead of the cheaper ones, and go above the suspension unlike the cheapies, they dont hang low and hit/scrape the ground, and they cost significantly less than the TTI's. Install was very easy, unlike the cheaper headers. I didnt have to take any of my suspension apart. I have and automatic with power steering and I didn't have to disconnect any of the steering components. The passenger side went in from the bottom with no problems, and the driver side required loosening the motor mount and slightly elevating that side of the motor with a floor jack and a piece of wood that reached up to the pan rail. I also removed both torsion bars for the install. The extra headache saved by not having to undo the suspension, not having to jack up the passenger side of the motor, not having the suspension travel between the pipes, not having to make a single ding anywhere, and not having to disconnect any of the steering components, etc...saved me tons of time. And as an added bonus I can R&R my mini starter without touching the the headers. I dont know about a stock starter because my mini was already installed before the headers.

roe
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/18/13 01:50 PM

I hear blackjack makes a nice fitting cheap header....

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/18/13 04:30 PM

According to the Doug's site, cant run them if you have an auto with column shift, which I have.

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/19/13 12:46 AM

Quote:

According to the Doug's site, cant run them if you have an auto with column shift, which I have.

Thats what I saw too, when I ordered mine, but was assured by the guy that I ordered from that it would work. And it did, fit like a glove, no problems, no close spots, nada. And I have a column shift auto as well.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/19/13 01:07 AM

Quote:

They will work with power steering. You may have to make a couple dings for clearance but the cheapies will work. One way is to use a c-clamp with a block of wood on one side so you don't mash them up like with a hammer.

If they are Dynomax, they won't fit with PS.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/19/13 01:53 AM

Quote:

They have the same really thick, antiwarp phalanges

Doug's headers have finger bones?
Posted By: ERAT340

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/19/13 05:06 AM

Dont wanna see DOUGS nameplate in my face when I open the hood.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/19/13 05:06 AM

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/19/13 05:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They have the same really thick, antiwarp phalanges

Doug's headers have finger bones?

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/19/13 07:43 AM

Quote:

The Summit brand WONT work on a 67 with P.S. This much I know for a fact.

Hooker Comps are less than $100 from that budget (which really isn't one). Be patient and save some coin.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/19/13 02:18 PM

These are the Summit racing headers, they fit well and I didn't have to bend or ding anything. Just take your time, get the car up and the engine up and they will go in fine. and it was column shift at the time.

Attached picture 7963883-4402.jpg
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/19/13 02:32 PM

Sale your HP manifolds to make up the gap and buy what you want.
Posted By: bambi

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/22/13 10:31 AM

Quote:

I looked at sites like Jegs and Summit, they had a few from 139 to 175 so I just piked around 165. Only problem is they wont work with power steering. I have some HP cast exhaust manifolds but dont really want to use them.

You are joking, right? WHY? What the hell do you expect to increase? Per dollar wise, Head aches, fitment issues, burnt plug wires, exhaust leaks, starter fitment issues/burn out. SERIOUSLY? What the hell do you expect to increase? What is your primary goal? Do you realize that headers actuall only increase HP by maybe ten or fifteen over stock? and THAT does not include Factory HP manifolds? Factory manifolds are almost as good as headers, with out all the hassles. WHAT on Gods GREEN EARTH makes you want to swap them out for HEADERS? Are you crazy? Seriously. You will never ever ever see any increase on a street motor. You will invite yourself open to a host of problems with headers. WHY? Why would anyone make this boneheaded move? If you want noise, get some Flowmaster Mufflers and be done with it. You can't possibly be serious. READ UP ON IT.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/22/13 01:30 PM

Quote:

Does anyone make a cheap (around $165) full length header for a 1969 B body with big block AND...power steering.

You want to buy "cheap" headers...
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/22/13 04:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You are joking, right? WHY? What the hell do you expect to increase? Per dollar wise, Head aches, fitment issues, burnt plug wires, exhaust leaks, starter fitment issues/burn out. SERIOUSLY? What the hell do you expect to increase? What is your primary goal? Do you realize that headers actuall only increase HP by maybe ten or fifteen over stock? and THAT does not include Factory HP manifolds? Factory manifolds are almost as good as headers, with out all the hassles. WHAT on Gods GREEN EARTH makes you want to swap them out for HEADERS? Are you crazy? Seriously. You will never ever ever see any increase on a street motor. You will invite yourself open to a host of problems with headers. WHY? Why would anyone make this boneheaded move? If you want noise, get some Flowmaster Mufflers and be done with it. You can't possibly be serious. READ UP ON IT.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/22/13 05:03 PM

The good 5.9 Magnum manifolds, compared to short headers, cheap long tube headers, and race headers on a very mild street 360.
Yep, no gain at all. LOL!!!
Keith

Attached picture 7967177-IMG_20130318_153312.jpg
Posted By: Digger73

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/22/13 08:20 PM

Yep, last time I was at a national event, I was so shocked to see all the pro stock cars with factory HP exhaust manifolds. As soon as I got back home I removed all the headers off of all my cars and installed stock manifolds!
Digger73

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/24/13 02:18 AM

To those that think manifolds perform even in the same ballpark with a decent set of full length headers: You're wrong. No other way to say it. The dyno sheet above says about 20 hp & 25 lb-ft.; and thats on a motor that looks like its only making 320 hp. Immagine what the falloff is on a motor flowing enouth to make 500. I'm guessing its in the range of 40 horses.

Any race car you see that runs manifolds does so either because: A) class rules. or B) They like the look and are willing to deal with the lost performance. On most any typical carbureted V8, exhaust manifolds are the single biggest performance bottleneck in the equation.

If you don't like headers because you're experience is that they all leak and create problems; you likely aren't much of a Hot Rodder. A good set of headers properly installed (yes, it may take more than just bolting them on...) should not leak a bit. If you're having issues with burning plug wires: address the issues! its called Hot-Rodding, and it may take some ingenuity (thats the FUN part!).

Now, if you want to run exhaust manifolds and get the max performance out of a stock package (Pure Stock & F.A.S.T. guys are great at this), then thats another conversation all together. But to say that manifolds perform on par with a good set of headers is just plain Mis-informed. (and yes, I'll include the vaunted HP manifolds in that statement)

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/24/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

To those that think manifolds perform even in the same ballpark with a decent set of full length headers: You're wrong. No other way to say it. The dyno sheet above says about 20 hp & 25 lb-ft.; and thats on a motor that looks like its only making 320 hp. Immagine what the falloff is on a motor flowing enouth to make 500. I'm guessing its in the range of 40 horses.

Any race car you see that runs manifolds does so either because: A) class rules. or B) They like the look and are willing to deal with the lost performance. On most any typical carbureted V8, exhaust manifolds are the single biggest performance bottleneck in the equation.

If you don't like headers because you're experience is that they all leak and create problems; you likely aren't much of a Hot Rodder. A good set of headers properly installed (yes, it may take more than just bolting them on...) should not leak a bit. If you're having issues with burning plug wires: address the issues! its called Hot-Rodding, and it may take some ingenuity (thats the FUN part!).

Now, if you want to run exhaust manifolds and get the max performance out of a stock package (Pure Stock & F.A.S.T. guys are great at this), then thats another conversation all together. But to say that manifolds perform on par with a good set of headers is just plain Mis-informed. (and yes, I'll include the vaunted HP manifolds in that statement)

Those cheap Summit headers went in pretty easy, Pass side was cake, drivers side took some time. Most people that don't like headers or have had them leak don't take the time to install them right or they crank the snot out of the bolts. On those Summits (and Hedmans) you can use all but one manifold stud. I have used pretty much every cheap header there is, all in b-bodys most w/ PS and haven't had an issue. They took this car to 11.38 @ 118.4 I have since upgraded to hooker super comps (a BREEEZE to install) and picked up 1.5mph. Doubt the car would run close to that w/ logs. FAST cars are a different animal and trust me if they could run headers they would. The difference in HP from a stock motor w/ vs w/o headers might be slight, but start adding compression, cam, intake and carburation and the header motor starts to really pull away.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/24/13 05:00 PM

I've ran the Walker Dynomax headers on a 440 'Cuda. Very little clearancing for the power steering box other than that they fit and worked great!

I bought Hedman 78030 for my '63 330 and they were perfect. Very nice fit.
I think they were $159.00 at the time but have went up in price in the most recent Summitt catalog.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/24/13 11:31 PM

Quote:

Factory manifolds are almost as good as headers, with out all the hassles. WHAT on Gods GREEN EARTH makes you want to swap them out for HEADERS? Are you crazy?

This is completely wrong

As far as what works, I have a set of Hooker Competition (1 7/8) that fit my '67 with P/S and column shift.

The summit headers, like the ones Mr. Yuck has, I'm pretty sure are just Hedmans in a different box. I would expect to have to make dings for spark plugs in any of these, my Hookers needed a few dings but nothing excessive. They're around 250 though. IMO theres nothing wrong with cheap headers, I'd rather be annoyed a bit and save 500 bucks.
Posted By: Mebsuta

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/25/13 02:34 AM

I think I will use the Summits headers when my old mystery headers finally quit.

All the other headers are retarded. They either cost too much, need a mini starter, don't work with a 4 spd or something dumb like that.
Posted By: Digger73

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/25/13 04:30 AM

I have a set of cheap summit headers that I ran in my 65 Satellite with power steering that worked just fine. When I installed the 440, I put a 1970 B-body K member in the car. I am told that this moves the engine back two inches. The headers still fit with no issues. I have no problem running cheap headers if that is all you can afford or don’t want to pay the big bucks for a name brand, I say go for it. The gains of a long tube header is worth it over the stock manifolds. IMHO.
Merry Christmas to one and all,
Digger73
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/25/13 08:57 AM

It would be interesting to dyno an engine with manifolds and keep swapping cams till you found the best one, then dyno the same engine with headers swapping cams till you found the best one....How far off would the best numbers for each be?

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/26/13 05:13 PM

Quote:

It would be interesting to dyno an engine with manifolds and keep swapping cams till you found the best one, then dyno the same engine with headers swapping cams till you found the best one....How far off would the best numbers for each be?

It really depends on the whole package. The milder the engine the less the difference. Just remember all these fancy Hemi's today still have manifolds. For the price they are the best option.

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/26/13 08:01 PM

Quote:

Just remember all these fancy Hemi's today still have manifolds. For the price they are the best option.

Only Since they're already on the car.... Try to buy a pair through Chrysler, I'm willing to guess using this same "for the price" logic, they'd quickly become the worst option. To use this logic, then the best option is always just use whatever is already on the car. This sorta flies in the face of what we like to do, doesn't it??

Cheap and good don't normally fit together. In the case of headers, the Summit brand are fairly nice pieces and are about as cheap as you're gonna get away. BUT, they are only 1-3/4" dia, and fitment can be an issue in some cases (I have a $159 wall ornament set in my garage to attest to this). The reality that a set of Hooker Comp's are a nicer piece of hardware, are 1-7/8", and fit most anything with little or no hassle at only a hundred dollars more. If $100 is where you draw the line with your hot-rod..... Well, you're probably not going to have much of a hot-rod.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/26/13 08:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Every car I installed headers on ran way better and sounded way better. It's how I learned to tune carbs, because headers always made the motors run leaner. I would add some jet the motor would really come alive.

I know I put headers on at least 6 cars for a couple buddies over the years plus my own cars.

I always thought stock manifolds were for weanies.

My 74 challenger has had headers on it since 1978 when I installed them for a friend before the car was mine. Now it has had TTI headers on it since 1989 and they still don't leak and have never burned a spark plug wire.

Now there are some cheap headers that will make your life miserable if your not familer with there short comings.

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/26/13 09:07 PM

The modern Hemi engine uses a manifold that is a close copy of a shorty header. And it will outflow an old log style manifold by a lot. And every header manufacturer still sells a bunch of headers for them and have proven gains. Any header design that offers a performance increase will help make an engine more efficient, which gives more power AND fuel economy. Maybe adding 10 horsepower on a low performance engine that only puts out 230 horsepower doesn't mean much to some people, but increased efficiency should .
Keith

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/26/13 09:40 PM

Quote:

The modern Hemi engine uses a manifold that is a close copy of a shorty header. And it will outflow an old log style manifold by a lot. And every header manufacturer still sells a bunch of headers for them and have proven gains. Any header design that offers a performance increase will help make an engine more efficient, which gives more power AND fuel economy. Maybe adding 10 horsepower on a low performance engine that only puts out 230 horsepower doesn't mean much to some people, but increased efficiency should .
Keith

At what cost though?

$750 for a set of TTI's to add 10 hp seems stupid to me, as an example.

$159 for a set of Summit headers that embody all the worst qualities of a header again seems stupid to me, especially if the gains are minimal.

It's all a balance. If I were to put a 5.7 Hemi in place of the 273 in my Cuda I would bet the improvement, even with manifolds, would be substantially more than putting the best headers ever made on that 273.

If I were to build that 5.7L up to the point of maximum performance then a set of $750 headers makes sense, for an otherwise stock 5.7, no.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/26/13 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Keith

At what cost though?

$159 for a set of Summit headers that embody all the worst qualities of a header again seems stupid to me, especially if the gains are minimal.

It's all a balance. If I were to put a 5.7 Hemi in place of the 273 in my Cuda I would bet the improvement, even with manifolds, would be substantially more than putting the best headers ever made on that 273.

If I were to build that 5.7L up to the point of maximum performance then a set of $750 headers makes sense, for an otherwise stock 5.7, no.

Headers add more than 10 HP on most motors, especially old motors. Then there is the beautiful music they produce.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/26/13 11:54 PM

I found a noticeable difference on a 136 cubic inch four cylinder toyota engine back in the day.

Lately it seems there's a dyno on every street corner and the wealth of information they produce has been illuminating, for those of us who care to find out, at least. Torque increases below the torque peak are what I notice, and that's where a set of headers shines on the street. I really don't care about max rpm horsepower. What do I feel when the light turns green is more important, and headers improve that. Also, any increase in mileage helps me be able to drive my car more, so that's a good thing too.

R.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/27/13 03:52 AM

A friend of mine paid big $$$ for his headers. He brought a friend by to look at my car one day and commented on how well the headers fit, looked and sounded. When I told him they were $159.00 Hedmans he about crapped himself. Then I told him how easy they were to install (with studs no less) and that they required NO clearancing anywhere and he was sold. Ive been told that this part # 78030 even works well for RB blocks in an A-body but never personally tried them.

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/27/13 04:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Keith

At what cost though?

I think you missed the point, that's 10hp on a 230 horse motor. Add a set to a 450hp motor...500hp motor. The more motor you have the better the gain. I'd never pay $750 for headers, unless somebody wants to make me a set for a BB twin turbo, but bang for the buck, it's a no-brainer.

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/27/13 04:23 AM

Now we're comparing header gains to an engine swap that uses current technology. I bet you dont find a modern hemi with computer,harness and all necessary pieces for the swap for anywhere near the cost of TTI headers.
For what it would cost to do all the swapping, I could build a nice engine that would perform better with headers.
Besides the O P asked about cheap headers, not TTI.
Headers are a proven provider of milage and performance gains. Feel free to not use them. Its a free world. A lot of guys dont like to improve their cars and think a carburetor designed for 70's fuels should run good today and points ignition worked fine 40 years ago.
Then there are people that dont believe in electricity either

Keith
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/27/13 05:15 AM

Quote:

Keith

Just to clarify, the 6.1/6.4 manifold is a full on shorty header, the factory 5.7 manifolds are horrendous log manifolds that don't even deserve to be boat anchors.

Dulcich did a test on a healthy 440 for Mopar Muscle awhile back and the results are as predicted, 56HP for the shorties over manifolds, 70 for long tubes

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0106_manifolds_vs_headers/dyno_numbers.html

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/27/13 06:05 AM

Testing manifolds against headers on a high horsepower engine seemed a little of to me. Thats why my dyno comparison was done on stock 360 with a very mild cam. Headers were still worth a lot compared to even the best manifolds I could find.
But I missed it on the 5.7 having logs. My bad there.

Keith

Attached picture 7972699-IMG_20121129_183149.jpg
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/27/13 06:10 AM

Quote:

Testing manifolds against headers on a high horsepower engine seemed a little of to me. Thats why my dyno comparison was done on stock 360 with a very mild cam. Headers were still worth a lot compared to even the best manifolds I could find.
But I missed it on the 5.7 having logs. My bad there.

Keith

Do you have the results of your dyno tests?
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/27/13 06:28 AM

The summit ones are basically Hooker headers... I had them on a 1969 Bee with a 440 and they worked without too much banging. However, would strongly suggest TTI headers... Mine were worth the headache in money spent
Mike

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/27/13 05:42 PM

I posted a graph on the first page, maybe half way down.
Keith

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/27/13 06:31 PM

Quote:

The summit ones are basically Hooker headers...

Wrong. I've owned Big Block B-Body sets from Hedman, Summit, and Hooker. The Hedmans and Summits have similar bend patterns, but they're not the same. The Summits are nowhere near Hookers (in bend pattern, or quality). The coated ones ARE identical to Patriots. The uncoated ones used to be identical to Patriot brand uncoated as well, although not anymore, as the uncoated Patriots have changed. I believe they are manufactured for Summit by them.

Re: Cheap Headers - 12/28/13 03:09 PM

Quote:

Now we're comparing header gains to an engine swap that uses current technology. I bet you dont find a modern hemi with computer,harness and all necessary pieces for the swap for anywhere near the cost of TTI headers.
For what it would cost to do all the swapping, I could build a nice engine that would perform better with headers.
Besides the O P asked about cheap headers, not TTI.
Headers are a proven provider of milage and performance gains. Feel free to not use them. Its a free world. A lot of guys dont like to improve their cars and think a carburetor designed for 70's fuels should run good today and points ignition worked fine 40 years ago.
Then there are people that dont believe in electricity either

Keith

Guess you missed the hacking a poster got for not running headers on his late Hemi swap in this thread. That's what happens when you don't read the entire thread before you comment.
© 2024 Moparts Forums