Moparts

Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one.

Posted By: 67coronetman

Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one. - 12/06/13 11:38 PM

I have a 8 3/4 rear that has the 489 case so what should i do first when i get the chunk out & how do i set it back up to run properly.

Thanks for all your advise.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one. - 12/07/13 12:26 AM

I think the first thing is you measure the backlash at maybe 4 points equidistanct around the ring gear & note the tightest (smallest) dimention & record that number. The used pinion bearing that is behind the beveled gear teeth would need to be pressed off & slightly ream the ID so it will barely slip on/off the new pinion shaft till you get the right shim pack thickness figured out that goes between the bearing & the gear teeth flat to get the pattern right. I'm in the same boat & there some internet sites that have procedures. I'd try Randys ring & pinion for a start. the ring gear bolts are left hand & you want to deburr the new ring gear with a whetstone so it sets dead flat when bolted on. The 489 may not use shims & you just torque the pinion nut & the solid spacer has been highly recommended rather than the OE crush sleeve. Here's a BTT for ya & others will guide you better

Re: Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one. - 12/07/13 12:35 AM

Well this will be very interesting for sure i hope i dont mess things up....

Quote:

I think the first thing is you measure the backlash at maybe 4 points equidistanct around the ring gear & note the tightest (smallest) dimention & record that number. The used pinion bearing that is behind the beveled gear teeth would need to be pressed off & slightly ream the ID so it will barely slip on/off the new pinion shaft till you get the right shim pack thickness figured out that goes between the bearing & the gear teeth flat to get the pattern right. I'm in the same boat & there some internet sites that have procedures. I'd try Randys ring & pinion for a start. the ring gear bolts are left hand & you want to deburr the new ring gear with a whetstone so it sets dead flat when bolted on. The 489 may not use shims & you just torque the pinion nut & the solid spacer has been highly recommended rather than the OE crush sleeve. Here's a BTT for ya & others will guide you better

Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one. - 12/07/13 02:18 AM

Dont do it unless you have the proper tools and instructions. Improper setup will result in a quick failure
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one. - 12/07/13 02:37 AM

It is a pretty complicated deal, if you dont have experience in setting up gears, either buy another chuck with the gear you want, or take yours to a shop...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one. - 12/07/13 03:06 AM

You gonna delete this one too when you get yours?

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/mopp_0308_mopar_rear_end_gears_set_up/viewall.html
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one. - 12/07/13 03:07 AM

Before you remove the third member from your car go buy a factory service manual for the car, all Mopar cars that came with 8 3/4 stareted using the "489" third mebers in them so make sure the manual you purchase covers those years from 1969 to 1974 Read (and understand all the terms as well as the procedures ) the section on how to prepare that third member and the tools needed( pinion depth seting tool. dial indicator with a good magnetic base, inch lb torque wrench, 250 Ft lbs torque wrench, proper size spanner wrench) and so on to set those type gears( 1 7/8 inch tapered pinion gears with a crush sleeve) up correctly, if you want to continue then buy all the tools needed and have fun

Re: Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one. - 12/07/13 03:48 AM

I am thinking it would be better maybe for me to have a shop do it that sets these up to make sure cause i don't want to get it wrong for sure.

Quote:

Before you remove the third member from your car go buy a factory service manual for the car, all Mopar cars that came with 8 3/4 stareted using the "489" third mebers in them so make sure the manual you purchase covers those years from 1969 to 1974 Read (and understand all the terms as well as the procedures ) the section on how to prepare that third member and the tools needed( pinion depth seting tool. dial indicator with a good magnetic base, inch lb torque wrench, 250 Ft lbs torque wrench, proper size spanner wrench) and so on to set those type gears( 1 7/8 inch tapered pinion gears with a crush sleeve) up correctly, if you want to continue then buy all the tools needed and have fun

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Changing my rear end gears how to setup new one. - 12/07/13 02:21 PM

Quote:

I am thinking it would be better maybe for me to have a shop do it that sets these up to make sure cause i don't want to get it wrong for sure.

Quote:

think twice, act once
© 2024 Moparts Forums