Moparts

Switching from power brakes to manual

Posted By: stroked470

Switching from power brakes to manual - 11/18/13 12:24 AM

I just got a 75 Dart with power brakes. I don't like them and want to change to manual. What all is needed. Will a manual master cylinder and pushrod be enough for the swap.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Switching from power brakes to manual - 11/18/13 01:27 AM

Quote:

I just got a 75 Dart with power brakes. I don't like them and want to change to manual. What all is needed. Will a manual master cylinder and pushrod be enough for the swap.

Not much info here, but if you are running the stock disc / drum system, you might get away with just buying a master adaptor kit and adjustable push rod. I made this switch on my 79 Cordoba. Had some real weird Z bar linkage between the brake pedal arm and booster. I redrilled the pedal arm for the adjustable pushrod and used 2" as the distance between the arm pivot point and push rod mounting hole in the pedal arm. Worked fine. A little heavier pedal pressure, but not bad at all.

Attached picture 7927677-brake1.jpg
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Switching from power brakes to manual - 11/18/13 01:28 AM

pushrod mount

Attached picture 7927680-brake2.jpg
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Switching from power brakes to manual - 11/18/13 01:33 AM

On my Dart Sport i swapped out the master cylinder with the newer unit with the plastic reservoir from Mancini Racing and used their adjustable pushrod. I removed the metering block and indtalled an adjustable one in the rear line. Works very well.

Randy
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Switching from power brakes to manual - 11/18/13 01:56 AM

www.doctordiff.com has everything you need.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Switching from power brakes to manual - 11/18/13 02:09 PM

At bare minimum, all you need is the pushrod. You can re-use your existing master cyl. assuming you aren't, say converting from manual to disc at the same time as removing the booster. It will bolt in place of the booster. PM me if you need the pushrod.
© 2024 Moparts Forums