Moparts

1968 Charger power steering problem. Please Help!!!!

Posted By: sams68

1968 Charger power steering problem. Please Help!!!! - 11/16/13 06:18 AM

I just converted my 68 charger to power steering and only one thing is holding me up. THE BOLT THAT HOLDS THE PULLY TO THE POWER STEERING PUMP!!!!
CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND ONE. I AM DESPERATE.

THANKS SAM.
Posted By: MowP4rsn

Re: 1968 Charger power steering problem. Please Help!!!! - 11/16/13 06:21 AM

Bouchillion Performance Engineering has it
Posted By: sams68

Re: 1968 Charger power steering problem. Please Help!!!! - 11/16/13 06:43 AM

thanks so much. I also bought a radiator from summit racing and the hose connection on the bottom is on the opposite side of the engine. do you know where I can buy that long hose.
Sam
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 1968 Charger power steering problem. Please Help!!!! - 11/16/13 02:49 PM

Quote:

thanks so much. I also bought a radiator from summit racing and the hose connection on the bottom is on the opposite side of the engine. do you know where I can buy that long hose.
Sam

The hose connection location is either because you have a 73 or later water pump housing or if not you have the wrong radiator.As for a hose you may be able to use a flex hose and you will still have routing issues if it will even work and if by chance it would,it won't be pretty!.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1968 Charger power steering problem. Please Help!!!! - 11/16/13 03:29 PM

If the rad is still in the box exchange it for one with the nipple on the other side or as said get a pump housing with the nipple on the other side (BB right?). Not sure if there is a problem with the hose/pump nipple/timing marks being on the same side like there is with small blocks (been on SB's for decades), but that is an easy Q & someone will clarify if it ain't apparent to you from looking at it & if it is an issue with BB's then just get the pump & rad nipples & therefore the hose on the side away from the marks
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: 1968 Charger power steering problem. Please Help!!!! - 11/17/13 08:14 PM

Yup, most of what Rapid-O says.
You can get the right rad, OR have a rad shop relocate the lower outlet (should be cheap) OR change the WP housing, OR use 2 hoses, both with springs inside (anti collapse=suction side) and join them together with the appropriate sized water pipe (preferably brass)or even exhaust pipe in a pinch across the bottom of the core support.
(DAMHIK)
Had several cars over the years where I did this "temporarily" or they came to me with this high performance modification already installed
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: 1968 Charger power steering problem. Please Help!!!! - 11/17/13 08:23 PM

assuming it's a BB or RB the easiest thing is to swap WP housings. if it's a SB, i'm clueless
© 2024 Moparts Forums