Moparts

Rear main seals

Posted By: b54406barrel

Rear main seals - 11/12/13 10:58 PM

So, my felpro full gasket set comes with all gaskets, seals, etc & and for the rear main, the seal halves and a tube of rtv. Not satisfactory. I go to the parts house & he orders a rear main kit for me. I tear it open and yup, the plastic collars are there for the bolts, the main seal halves, rtv, a couple of L-shape pieces of rubber too short to do any good and a couple of short pipe cleaners. What the heck happened to the side seals and what are you supposed to do with the pipe cleaners?
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Rear main seals - 11/12/13 11:10 PM

Get some from a sponsor: http://www.superformanceproducts.com
Otherwise I don't remember. Use the search function.
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Rear main seals - 11/12/13 11:10 PM

Think you are to load the pipe cleaners up with the RTV and jam them in the sides ..
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Rear main seals - 11/12/13 11:16 PM

Quote:

Think you are to load the pipe cleaners up with the RTV and jam them in the sides ..

Winner, that's exactly what you are supposed to do.

Re: Rear main seals - 11/12/13 11:28 PM

OK, thank you for the explanation. Appreciate the help!
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Rear main seals - 11/12/13 11:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No that's NOT what you are supposed to do!

I'll refrain from commenting on the competition's products. If you want to know more call them

I do appreciate the link help 68Killerbee
He'll be back when it's leaking again

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 12:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No that's NOT what you are supposed to do!

I'll refrain from commenting on the competition's products. If you want to know more call them

I do appreciate the link help 68Killerbee
He'll be back when it's leaking again

Quite possibly but I wasn't going to 'brave' enough to try the pipe cleaner method. I rummaged and found some from one of my side oiler gasket sets that I never used. I think they'll work but if not, I'll give you a call.

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 12:49 AM

Ford side oiler?

No they won't work, totally different profile.

And I'm really not trying to be a "Richard Head"..... just messin with you guys a lil

Just for reference here are the retainer side seals I offer. Also offer the OEM rear seal with these as a kit.

Attached picture 7922000-GEDC0255cropped.JPG
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 01:09 AM

A guy (on here) awhile back stuffed the sides with strings out of his mop & said it did not leak
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 01:15 AM

You are supposed to fill the sides with RTV, wet the pipe cleaners and stick it in. Its garbage don't do it. Get the rubber side seals, they're kind of a pain in the you know what to get in, so were the old fiber ones, this just requires a different technique since you can't tap these in. The don't make the fiber ones anymore because the secret ingredient to those is asbestos. Asbestos makes EVERYTHING work better but we can't have it anymore for obvious reasons.

Greg, have you considered making those side seals with something stiff in the middle so that they could be lubed up and tapped in like the old ones? I bought the side seals from a different source a while back (did use your gaskets for everything else though except my water pump), maybe yours install a little easier. The problem that I had was that mine wanted to slide up when sliding the retainer in. Had I had more time I could have glued them to the retainer, but just a thought I had.

PS everything Fel Pro sells seems to be garbage, buy Greg's gaskets or something from Victor and save yourself the aggravation. I was more than impressed with Greg's gaskets and will be using Superformance gaskets on anything I can in the future.

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 01:46 AM

Problem solved! A local Mopar man had a Mr. Gasket set so I'm covered! They are the side seals I remember, sort of a hard composite. Thanks again!

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

Problem solved! A local Mopar man had a Mr. Gasket set so I'm covered! They are the side seals I remember, sort of a hard composite. Thanks again!

Your golden

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 02:45 AM

GTX Matt you nailed it on the head with the pipe cleaners. Maybe they should start buying some of mine

I can only assume you had used the "orange" retainer seals? The "blue" ones have been redesigned for a easier installation. Same material and basic profile just a color change for identification

Glad we were able to make you happy with the gaskets. It's nice we're considered a step above a very popular brand
Posted By: bfury

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 03:57 AM

My friend needs to replace his in a 413 RB in an Imperial. Is it worth trying to do with the engine in the car?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 03:59 AM

Yes, as long as you can drop the pan. It's easy.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 01:34 PM

Quote:

My friend needs to replace his in a 413 RB in an Imperial. Is it worth trying to do with the engine in the car?

If it still has the original rope seal it may be easier said than done.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 03:43 PM

I certainly would like to know the secret to success on the rear main seal. Frankly, every one I have ever installed has leaked. I have tried different brands of seals, different installation techniques, billet retainers, etc. But they all leak to varying degrees.

The only thing I haven't tried is The Right Stuff, which is the best sealant of it's type I have ever used.

I am just afraid that I won't be able to get it apart if use it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 03:49 PM

Quote:

The only thing I haven't tried is The Right Stuff, which is the best sealant of it's type I have ever used.

I am just afraid that I won't be able to get it apart if use it.

that stuff is the cats' ass to get off but if it stops the leak You wont (have) to be back in there for quite awhile

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 04:07 PM

Quote:

GTX Matt you nailed it on the head with the pipe cleaners. Maybe they should start buying some of mine

I can only assume you had used the "orange" retainer seals? The "blue" ones have been redesigned for a easier installation. Same material and basic profile just a color change for identification

Glad we were able to make you happy with the gaskets. It's nice we're considered a step above a very popular brand

Greg yeah they were the orange ones, I'll have to make sure I get those from you next time too

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

He doesn't know what he just gave up
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 04:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

He doesn't know what he just gave up

no he doesn't , I have a bunch of them from gasket sets over the years and the BEST GASKET rope seal kits come with them also.

Re: Rear main seals - 11/13/13 05:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Your golden

And, it only took 3 sets to equal your 1 set! Hopefully they'll take but they're very reminiscent of FE's and I never had a leakage problem with those. But, those have nails! Thank you again for you assistance, next time I'll look for a Moparts vendor.
© 2024 Moparts Forums