Moparts

74 Challenger front chrome part over grill

Posted By: Merlin45

74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/12/13 07:22 AM

Slowly finalizing the restoration on my Challenger (just installed a new front clip and new paint job). Is there any vendor or company making the front chrome piece that wraps over the grill? My current piece isn't that bad but replacing it would make a world of diference in appearance.
Thanks!!!!
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/12/13 12:32 PM

Yes its repoped we bought one for our 74 metro had/made it if i remember right
Posted By: burdar

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/12/13 05:01 PM

That piece is anodized aluminum. Metro makes it. I have one but haven't installed it yet so I don't know how it fits. I still have my original one on the car.

The attaching clips are not reproduced so be careful with them.

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/14/13 09:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. Can you provide the web site?

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/14/13 09:52 PM

It looks like they are out of stock.

http://www.buymetroparts.com/item/e-body-challenger/1972-74-challenger-grill-moldi/lid=10723083

Maybe give them a call and see if they can give you a list of their venders...maybe one of them will have it.
Posted By: rick@laysons

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/14/13 10:12 PM

We've got a couple of those in stock here in our warehouse......

PM-MM649, 1972-74 Challengers, grille molding- upper, $189.00

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/15/13 07:13 AM

Thanks for the reply. I installed a new grill and want to be careful when I replace the chrome molding, what is the best way to remove the old molding? How many mounting clips are there? How do the clips mount to the new molding? How is the new molding installed, pushed on?? I really appreciate the help.

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/15/13 07:25 AM

Please message me your phone number, web site, and mailing address. I'm currently working in the Middle East and this information will help me order and pay for the part. Thanks.

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/15/13 01:48 PM

They come off and on pretty easy if you putting on.a new grille they just snap in place just mock it up you will see where the clips need to be (they slide along back side of the molding take your hand n bump them into place

pic with our newer trim

Attached picture 7924954-2011-12-2916.07.39-2.jpg

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/15/13 05:59 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll be darn careful as I remove and install the new molding. If you want to see my Challenger go to: HnHRodShop.com
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/15/13 09:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help. I'll be darn careful as I remove and install the new molding. If you want to see my Challenger go to: HnHRodShop.com

Just saw your Challenger, and as the owner of a 73 Challenger, yours is beautiful...

As for the molding, it's pretty simple to remove and re-install. I used a thin plastic prybar, with a little padding on the paint. Once you get one end off, it's easy to gently pop it off, one fastener at a time. You'll see how the fasteners attach, and they're easy to re-install on the new molding. You can slide the fasteners in the molding to get them to line up with the holes. It's a pretty easy job to do. Even I could figure it out...

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/15/13 10:24 PM

Thank you for the compliment. I kept her as stock as possible and putting in one of the most desirable engine packages (440/6). I really enjoy her, she just shakes at the lights and is a real head turner, all I get is thumbs up and pictures/video going down the road. Then to have her restored now is great, restoration prices will only go up and I'm done!!! Thanks so much for the guidance on changing the chrome piece.

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/16/13 02:32 PM

In looking at past pictures of Challengers I thought I saw a chrome molding that fits below the front bumper, over the lip of the lower valance (on some cars anyway). Was there such a piece on the 72 thru 74 Challengers? If so, do you carry that molding as well?

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/16/13 06:17 PM

Yes there is a molding there if look close can see it on our challenger
some day need to buy a new one as ours is all scratched up

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/16/13 06:36 PM

Hopefully I can locate that molding, would look nice to finish the front of the car with new chrome pieces. Thanks for confirming what I noticed when I saw other cars and your's as well.

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/16/13 08:06 PM

The valance moulding is not available. Metro made it at one time but they've been sold out for few years. I ask them about it every year at the Nats. Hopefully they will do another run of them.
Posted By: Scotts72Rallye

Re: 74 Challenger front chrome part over grill - 11/17/13 02:27 AM

The valance moulding is one you see missing so much on the 72-74 Challengers. IMHO the grill looks unfinished without it. If you find one on a donor car be careful removing it, very delicate in the center area. I found out the hard way!
Scott
© 2024 Moparts Forums