Moparts

Slow to build oil pressure

Posted By: Chilort

Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 08:30 AM

I've got a '68 Sweptline that someone before me dropped a 440 into.

I did quite a bit of work on it in the first few months I had it to fix some problems (i.e. ended up replacing the worn out 906s for Eddys, replaced the Chevy [even Chevy PN] carb for a Holey 750 with electric choke, among a large number of other things). So I'm not sure if this problem has existed since day 1 or not.

The engine is really slow to build oil pressure. For the first few seconds (maybe 3 seconds) after startup the oil light is on and you can hear a knock.

What causes this? Oil pump, or just totally ragged out?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 09:17 AM

the 1st thing I would suggest would be to put a new wix filter on there. Some filters have a faulty drainback valve. Do you have a mechanical gauge to see what your psi is cold/hot. It may need a new pump or be worn bearings/lifters or both.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 11:00 AM

what weight oil? lighter oil will help.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 11:57 AM

I agree with the filter swap suggestion. When I got my 400 powered truck it would take 20+ seconds at 1500 rpm to maintain ANY oil pressure. It would build slowly to 60+ psi only if I held the throttle. If I let it idle it would drop back to zero. As soon as I put a good (Wix) filter on it was fine. Ill give you 1 guess what brand was on it before (orange and rhymes with "cram").

Pete

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 05:03 PM

I had been using 20w-50 VR1 for the zinc (Valvoline). I decided to try 10w-30 (Valvoline). It didn't make a dimes worth of difference.

The only oil filters I use are Mobile 1. I get the big M301. If that thing doesn't work properly I'll eat my hat.
Posted By: ohiodemon

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 05:06 PM

might be time for a new oil pump.
easy to replace on a bigblock.
Posted By: POZEST

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 05:45 PM

Could be a bad oil pressure gauge too.

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 06:06 PM

I don't have a gauge, so I don't know what the actual pressure is. ... but with the knock it does, I don't really need a gauge or light to tell me the oil pressure is a little low.

I'll pull the pump this weekend I guess and take a look at how worn out it is.

Thanks.
Posted By: yella71

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 08:07 PM

you might want to drop the pan and check to see if the pickup is not cloged. no flow no pressure.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 08:13 PM

Quote:

you might want to drop the pan and check to see if the pickup is not cloged. no flow no pressure.

Pull the pickup and shake it.
Check the oil pump plate for wear.

Re: Slow to build oil pressure - 12/19/08 11:13 PM

I just had the pan off of it yesterday. Installed a windage tray. Because I installed a try, I had to pull the pick up too. The pickup was in nice condition and there were no obstructions.

Looks like the oil pump more and more all the time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums