Moparts

Tefba rad filter?

Posted By: HairOtheDog

Tefba rad filter? - 11/08/13 07:24 PM

I've been seeing the Tefba radiator filter, and I wondered if anyone has used it with good/bad results?
I know its another filter to change/clean but I'm curious because anymore you can't flush/fill the cooling system like you used to years ago (unless you go to a shop that's equipped for it).
It SEEMS like an extra bit of insurance (?) but at $70 + shipping its pricey for what it is....

Attached picture 7916661-image.jpg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/08/13 07:46 PM

I don't see why you can't flush the systems just like we always have.

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/08/13 07:50 PM

Mainly because of coolant in the yard, running down the street and down the drain is a "bad thing" anymore,
Years ago I used to pull the t-stat and shove a garden hose in the radiator and start the car and let em run.
But you can't (or you're not supposed to) do that anymore.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/08/13 07:56 PM

So this screen has enough surface area that it's not a restriction to coolant flow?

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/08/13 07:57 PM

What exactly does the filter stop? A drain pan works to keep the fluids from running down the street. Replacing antifreeze in the recommend time periods negates the need for a filter to begin with.

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/08/13 08:03 PM

I was wondering about restriction as well...

Stumpy,
A drain pon? What's that? Lol
I don't have a 20gal drain pan.
I'm not referring to simply changing out coolant, I'm referring to flushing the cooling system completely- its going to take more than a simple drain pan.
And if the Tefba can increase the amount of time between flushès.

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/08/13 08:08 PM

What is that filter supposed to filter out? There should be no reason to have to filter a cooling system.
Posted By: cjbill

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/08/13 10:17 PM

In my V12 Jaguar days, these were MANDATORY (2 per car) because 7/10 times the PO put Bars Leaks in at some point and all kinds of other crap, so there was always junk floating around the cooling system. I have one on ALL of my vehicles.

Plus, you never know if there's core sand left in there or casting flash that has broken off...I think it's good insurance, but they're more $$$ now than they used to be, last one I bought was $50.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/09/13 02:21 AM

On the flushing... etheleyne glycol breaks down in nature pretty quickly. I always make sure it doesn't pool where animals can drink it. Besides that I believe any standard drain - city or septic - is fine.

A good flush and some long life antifreeze and you should be good to go for several years. I've rigged up a hose adapter with radiator hose size ends so I can flush frontwards and backwards. Also an air fitting.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/09/13 03:42 AM

That's a filter? I suppose if you have gravel or small birds in your cooling system it would strain those out but I don't see it being much use.

If you want/need a water filter you need to look at this.

Kevin

Attached picture 7917227-257715S-lg500.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/09/13 06:59 AM

Quote:

So this screen has enough surface area that it's not a restriction to coolant flow?

I would opinionate that it is too much restriction. Best is to take out the core plugs in the beginning & blast it side to side with a garden hose nozzle or better yet trailer it to a car wash & use the wand. I'd say you are fine without it
Posted By: john55

Re: Tefba rad filter? - 11/09/13 12:30 PM

that type of filter is used when simple flushing won't remove large particle in the cooling system, its a good filter to use IF you need it, I would use a Tefba filter if I couldn't keep my coolant clean, and kept plugging up my heater core, if you install this filter, you have to check it constantly so it doesn't plug up and stop coolant flow when first installed,
© 2024 Moparts Forums