Moparts

HEI conversion

Posted By: 340SHORTY

HEI conversion - 10/24/13 04:25 AM

Does anyone remember who made/makes the disc that goes under the dist to mount a HEI module???
Posted By: 440child

Re: HEI conversion - 10/24/13 04:42 AM

This guy does, but he's out of stock until at least November.

http://www.designed2drive.com/
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: HEI conversion - 10/24/13 04:45 AM

Yep. Thats the 1, and Nov is only a week away.. thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: HEI conversion - 10/24/13 04:46 AM

That's it, for that kind of money ($40.50) I'd get a piece of aluminum & trim it & bolt it on myself. Be sure to use heat sink paste
Posted By: MadMatt

Re: HEI conversion - 10/24/13 08:58 PM

Quote:

This guy does, but he's out of stock until at least November.

http://www.designed2drive.com/

Actually, I happen to know he will have them by the beginning of next week.
Posted By: BDW

Re: HEI conversion - 10/24/13 09:29 PM

Looks neat, but what's the benefit?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: HEI conversion - 10/24/13 11:20 PM

The earlier four pin GM HEI module is small, puts out a really big spark, and is cheap. The only thing is it needs a heat sink to keep from frying.

If you already have an electronic distributor it's an easy mod. Plus there's no box on the firewall cluttering things up!

That's what the advantage is.

R.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: HEI conversion - 10/25/13 01:37 AM

Quote:

The earlier four pin GM HEI module is small, puts out a really big spark, and is cheap. The only thing is it needs a heat sink to keep from frying.

If you already have an electronic distributor it's an easy mod. Plus there's no box on the firewall cluttering things up!

30 yrs ago I did that swap with the yellow Accell super coil the big yellow beast with NO ballast & it was a killer setup. Accell later wrote me & said to use a .8 ohm ballast with it but I had no failures or misfiring but as you know mixing & matching ign parts can be a crap shoot even with the recommended combos, sometimes you get lucky
Posted By: MadMatt

Re: HEI conversion - 10/26/13 05:42 PM

Quote:

That's what the advantage is.

R.

Another advantage is the GM HEI chip is available almost any place, any time, if you have a problem. I have the stock electronic ignition set up on my car, so I'm just going to use an extra plug spliced in to wire in the HEI chip, then I'll have 2 ignition systems available just by unplugging one and plugging in the other. No more getting stuck on the side of the road!
© 2024 Moparts Forums