Moparts

Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days?

Posted By: wally426ci

Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/23/13 05:50 PM

My alternator went south in my 68 D100 and as a result the wiring grounded and FRIED.

I am pretty sure it was a NAPA. The Advanced auto one on my 71 Challenger is doing great 8 years later but not sure they are the same these days.

Any feedback on where to go now?

Thanks!
Posted By: Dixie

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/23/13 06:16 PM

My Autozone lifetime warranty alt made it almost 5 years and died. We do concurs resto's on alternators and starters, so I put one of those on my car. I took the Autozone replacement and put it on the shelf.
Posted By: skicker

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/23/13 06:30 PM

I've never had any luck with the "parts store" electrical stuff. Maybe the warranty is ok but from my experience you will be using it regularly. We had a guy around here who used to rebuild these and resell them. I always had good luck with him. See if you have a local shop near you who does rebuilt work, more than likely they have one on the shelf.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/23/13 07:31 PM

I'm not sure on the best parts house but I'd ask for a 78 amper from an '85 M body iirc
Posted By: CuriousYella70

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/23/13 07:34 PM

Auto Zone's alternator works just fine. I've had mine on my daily driver for 3 years now without a hiccup.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/23/13 07:53 PM

no matter where you go, have them test it before you walk out the door.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/23/13 08:15 PM

its a roll of the dice.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/23/13 09:45 PM

Virtually all the remans are sketchy -- there's really no way to test the rotating field for intermittent hi-RPM shorts. Top of the Line A'Zone ones are all new, even if Chinese. Seem to be the most reliable.

Rick
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/23/13 09:56 PM

Quote:

its a roll of the dice.

Yep. A guy down the street from me has an electrical shop; he showed me examples of "factory rebuilt" stuff compared to his. It seems that the rebuild factories disassemble them, clean them and put a certain number of new parts (bearings, brushes) in them and then bench test them, those that pass go in a box those that don't go to a separate part of the plant for personal attention...those are the ones you want.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/24/13 12:39 AM

If you can find a nearby rebuilder in a small ahop that'd be best.

I had a NAPA rebuilt go up in flames, and several Advance Auto remans that didn't put out any juice.

There ISN'T any "better" parts store rebuilt alternator IMHO.

R.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/24/13 01:00 AM

PowerMaster has a great line of alternators from stock resto units (all new, including cases) to chrome plated units, to custom high output units, visit their website for info, I have 4 units from Powermaster, the oldest about 12 yrs old, no issues ever...I gave up on rebuilds a long time ago, including the resto rebuilds, they just don't last, too many failures, either electrical, or bearings...go with a Powermaster, change your voltage regulator too..
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/24/13 12:14 PM

Thanks everyone! We do have a local guy so I'll dable with that or Autozone. I wish I had a good one for a rebuild so I wouldn't have to deal with this again!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/24/13 12:22 PM

You guys must have bad luck.At the shop we pretty much used Advanced remans.Ive probally had 3 or 4 that were bad out of probally a few thousands.These were on daily drivers that get a ton more miles than anything most drive.Over 30 years we never had many bad ones.We used to use NAPA almost all the time.Had some problems and started using Advanced and pretty much no problems.Rocky
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/24/13 12:35 PM

Quote:

PowerMaster has a great line of alternators from stock resto units (all new, including cases) to chrome plated units, to custom high output units, visit their website for info, I have 4 units from Powermaster, the oldest about 12 yrs old, no issues ever...I gave up on rebuilds a long time ago, including the resto rebuilds, they just don't last, too many failures, either electrical, or bearings...go with a Powermaster, change your voltage regulator too..

I don't trust any parts store units anymore, I also have been using Powermaster. They have higher outputs and charge better at Idle for me.

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/24/13 12:36 PM

Quote:

You guys must have bad luck.At the shop we pretty much used Advanced remans.Ive probally had 3 or 4 that were bad out of probally a few thousands.These were on daily drivers that get a ton more miles than anything most drive.Over 30 years we never had many bad ones.We used to use NAPA almost all the time.Had some problems and started using Advanced and pretty much no problems.Rocky

I believe that was true years ago, I don't believe it is true today though.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/24/13 12:53 PM

I retired 3 years ago and we were using them then.We did have problems with AZs the most.Same with water pumps.We mostly used new.Only used reman when new wasnt avaliable or price was a big factor.Years ago we rebuilt them at the shop.It usually made the cost a lot less.Rocky
Posted By: john55

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/24/13 01:47 PM

I use Motorcraft for Ford, AC Delco for GM, Mopar at the dealer for Chrysler, a lot less problems for me anyway...
Posted By: 74RALLYE

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/24/13 11:59 PM

I bought a re-man alternator at a popular auto parts chain store a few years ago for my Charger. I went through 5 before finding one that didn't have the adjustor threads stripped out. The last 4 were checked at the store and the manager said that's the way they are suppose to be if all of them are like that". At least the mgr. was gone within a month.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/25/13 01:41 AM

My preference is to use a local shop to rebuild the original OE unit..
In SoCal we can get 1 rebuilt for about $60..

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/25/13 12:26 PM

I echo "work with a local electric shop". I buy new alternators and starters from my local re-builder, the price isn't much more than rebuilt. I have a couple new Bosch alternators that have been running over 10 years now.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/25/13 01:09 PM

In the 1980s i learned first hand how much better mining service rebuilt electric motors lasted when the had been redone with "VPI" insulation.

Vacuum- Pressure Impregnation is where they rewire a motor, then put it in a vacuum chamber and pull out any trapped air bubbles deep in the windings.

After such a good "sucking" they let liquid epoxy insulation flow in from the bottom of the vacuum chamber and submerge the winding, then from the top of the chamber it is pressurized with nitrogen to force the viscous epoxy completely into the spaces around the wires.

The winding is then removed from the chamber and baked in an oven to set the epoxy.

This makes a waterproof and highly vibration resistant motor.

Is there a rebuild shop anywhere in the
USA or Canada that routinely does this
VPI for their reman alternators?
Posted By: jcastle1

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/26/13 01:29 AM

I use the Visteon brand. They work great and have a lifetime warranty. Plus, I have used them on dozens of cars. NEVER A FAILURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can pick them up at Smyth Automotive if you're in Ohio.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/26/13 01:56 AM

I do my own and this one has been rolling along for 20 yrs.

Attached picture 7900852-Picture253.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/26/13 02:12 AM

I've always wanted to try one of the JC Whitney kits that ups the amps on your old alt

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 10/26/13 02:24 PM

Quote:

I use the Visteon brand. They work great and have a lifetime warranty. Plus, I have used them on dozens of cars. NEVER A FAILURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can pick them up at Smyth Automotive if you're in Ohio.

Didn't know that.
Posted By: bambi

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 11/09/13 12:26 PM

Quote:

I've always wanted to try one of the JC Whitney kits that ups the amps on your old alt

I bought one of those kits. Had a local alt. rebuilder install it for me. He told me what would happen, and he was right. He hooked it up to his machine. It DID put out the amps. Only at 4000 rpm or more. They don't do squat at idle. Save your money and buy a Powermaster!
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 11/10/13 12:43 AM

autozone worked out good for cars that I have done, warranty is a plus
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 11/10/13 03:04 AM

Quote:

PowerMaster has a great line of alternators from stock resto units to chrome plated units...go with a Powermaster, change your voltage regulator too..

I must have had crappy luck. I loved the look of my Chrome one I bought from Summit but it went bad within a year even though I didn't drive the car much in that time. I had a shop rebuild it but it crapped out again.
Posted By: Teamx

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 11/11/13 09:07 AM

POWERMASTER
Posted By: Fastfrankie

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 11/11/13 01:26 PM

Stay away from Advanced Auto alternators...the remmaned ones specifically. My buddy has a Merc Mountaineer with 5.0 and with almost 200,000 miles on original alternator which operated fine, he asked me to put in a rebuilt alternator as preventative maintenance along with a new serp belt.

I've pulled the rebuilt alternator twice since then with 2 more rebuilt ones...not even a year yet and he's on rebuilt alternator #3.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Which "Parts store" alternator is best these days? - 11/11/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

PowerMaster has a great line of alternators from stock resto units to chrome plated units...go with a Powermaster, change your voltage regulator too..

I must have had crappy luck. I loved the look of my Chrome one I bought from Summit but it went bad within a year even though I didn't drive the car much in that time. I had a shop rebuild it but it crapped out again.

Did you put in a new VR when you changed the alt out?
© 2024 Moparts Forums