Moparts

After Market Shifter question

Posted By: RBSat66

After Market Shifter question - 10/23/13 01:15 AM

What Automatic aftermarket shifter fits the best in a 66 through 69 B Body console and how hard was it to install. Any pictures would be great to look at.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: After Market Shifter question - 10/23/13 04:24 AM

None that I have ever seen will work under a stock console.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: After Market Shifter question - 10/23/13 12:52 PM

Quote:

None that I have ever seen will work under a stock console.

None. Just use the factory unit. they work good and are usally cheaper than a decent aftermarket shifter.
Posted By: 70BigBlockSE

Re: After Market Shifter question - 10/23/13 01:13 PM

here's one in a 68 Charger. I wan't to do the same thing in my Challenger, but the console is much lower.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=42416.0%3Ball
Posted By: RBSat66

Re: After Market Shifter question - 10/24/13 12:02 AM

Okay, thanks for your time and replies.
Posted By: 2Red2LoudDodge

Re: After Market Shifter question - 10/28/13 04:21 AM

I replaced a B&M ratchet shifter because of melting cables no matter how I routed it. Used a Lokar floor mount shifter which can be mounted above or below the tunnel. Look at the pictures on their website. I opted to use as many of the holes from the previous shifter, mounting above the floor so I only had to cut a slot for the linkage arm. Mounting below the floor might give you the clearance under a console. Since I went above the floor, I used a boot and trim ring from a non-console four speed '68 Coronet and it worked to my liking. You need to know how much clearance you have under the console to know if an under floor mount would work for you.

Attached picture 7903216-image.jpg
Posted By: HairOtheDog

Re: After Market Shifter question - 10/28/13 09:19 AM

I used a hurst quarter stick in my 67 GTX (727) with the factory console.
I didn't use the quarter stick cover, obviously, and I had to move the console and shifter around quite a bit until I could reach all the shifters gear positions. Then I had to raise and lower the shifter also, on the stock mounting plates and tweak and modify the mounting plates.

Basically, I took the entire orig shifter indicator and shift slot off, on the top plate that went around the stock shifter arm.
Then I took a small universal shift boot, and slid it down and around the quarter stick then glued the bottom down under the console.

It looked pretty good, if I had to do it over, Id have done some things differently, and taken more time and more attention to detail. Plus, doing it the way I did, I didn't have any gear indicator.
© 2024 Moparts Forums