Moparts

440 balancer

Posted By: MoparJunkie

440 balancer - 10/22/13 01:59 AM

Hey guys, I was told this was not the original balancer to my 440. So I got a steel crank 440 balancer to replace it, but my pulley won't bolt on? I am including pics of balancer... any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: wingman

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 02:02 AM

Do you have it oriented the right way? One of the six bolt holes is intentionally misaligned so the pulley only bolts on one way.

Try turning it until it lines up.

Some aftermarket pulleys have one slotted hole (or you have to make one slotted hole) to fit this.

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 02:05 AM

Tried that... It will bolt up what I thought was my so called original. Based on the pics is that a steel crank balancer? My machinist said no???? I honestly thought it was the original???
Posted By: MLR426

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 02:16 AM

Quote:

Hey guys, I was told this was not the original balancer to my 440. So I got a steel crank 440 balancer to replace it, but my pulley won't bolt on? I am including pics of balancer... any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean you were told this wasn't the right balancer for your 440 engine. This pic is a 6 pack balancer to confirm can you tell us how thick the offset weight is ? If its 3/16 thick its for a 6 pack engine with heavy rods, and is still a steel crank. If it's thicker its a 400 cast crank balancer. Correct the oreintation of the pulley bolt pattern and it will bolt up. Put the balancer back on the that came off the engine.

MLR426
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 07:35 AM

If your U code 1970 Charger came with the six pak rods it would have had that balancer also.
Posted By: jt4406

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 10:56 AM

Pretty sure that is a "six pack" balancer. You guys correct me if I am wrong, but didn't some 70 440 magnums have the "six pack" rods and crank? If that is correct he will have the heavy rods, and the balancer and torque converter will have weights, externally balanced engine. Greg, did Mike balance the rotating assembly? If he did and used that balancer, you need a duplicate if you are gonna replace it.
jess

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 11:46 AM

He balanced the rotating assembly, but did nothing with the balancer. He said it was weighted and it was the wrong balancer???? I too, thought it should've been the original... So, if he balanced the rotating assembly and not the balancer will I have vibration issues???? Been down that road before!
Posted By: Bumbalawski

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 12:41 PM

I know of a fellow who has a six pack Superbird. His "machinist" rebuilt the original engine for him. This "machinist" said he did the owner a favor by machining off the counterweight on the dampener and rebalanced the engine. This did not go over with the owner since the 'bird was original and being correctly restored. He had to buy another dampener and rebalance the engine again. This may be your case also less the machined balancer.

If it is correctly balanced, it will not vibrate. But if you have the original torque convertor and it is weighted, the weights need to go. Will it appear correct in the car if the car is a 1970 U code car? No.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 01:25 PM

Tough to confirm (or disprove) from the pix, but if that pulley has a symmetrical bolt pattern (no offset hole) it is, in fact, a later ('72-up) damper.

If it has the correct weighting needed, it is simple to oval out the one offset hole in the pulley.

Rick
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 01:54 PM

Looks very much like the pictured one has the offset bolt hole. And the H P 440's of 1970 had weighted balancer and heavy(six pac) rods.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: 440 balancer - 10/22/13 03:52 PM

Shouldn't the keyway line up the holes??

Joe

OOPS!!!! Brain fart
Posted By: Commando1

Re: 440 balancer - 10/23/13 01:05 PM

Learn your dampers (courtesy of 440 source):

© 2024 Moparts Forums