Moparts

Who to use for a legit fender tag?

Posted By: cmansell

Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 02:29 AM

My car is now apart for paint and tag has rust in the date area and last few of the vin. Would like new tag to be sprayed with new paint. Who besides you know who is recommended? Thanks
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 02:33 AM

There is no such thing as a "Legit" reproduction tag. The only "Legit" tag is the one the factory installed.

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 02:40 AM

I used that term because the car matches the title, build sheet, numbers on the body and the tag you would build by doing a visual inspection of the car would be the same as the tag now other than the tire size. No funny business and wouldn't want my info spread across the net.

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 02:43 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used that term because the car matches the title, build sheet, numbers on the body and the tag you would build by doing a visual inspection of the car would be the same as the tag now other than the tire size. No funny business and wouldn't want my info spread across the net.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I repeat: There is no such thing as a "Legit" reproduction tag. The only "Legit" tag is the one the factory installed.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 02:53 AM

Let me put it another way. There are people here who know how to tell a repop from an original (for the record I am not one of them, but I have some ideas about what they are looking for). Once a car is known to have a non-original tag (especially if you change anything like tire size) word will get out if the car is on the market and it will be suspect.

I might be inclined to put a tag in that says something like, "Original tag rusty" or something like that.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 02:55 AM

Clean and repaint the one you have.

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 03:01 AM

Quote:

would be the same as the tag now other than the tire size. No funny business

BTW, changing tire size (or ANYTING else) IS "funny business"

Quote:

and wouldn't want my info spread across the net.

Of course you wouldn't, which is likely the reason you or your cars specific info hasn't been posted yet.

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 03:03 AM

I tried a wire brush and it is so thin and crusty in a few spots I was making it worse. I'll keep the original and besides this is my 43rd mopar and I'm pushing 60 so this will be my last resto. I'll leave all the papers for my wifes next husband.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 03:45 AM

Try here

http://www.datatags.com
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 04:58 AM

Quote:

Try here

http://www.datatags.com

The boards are filled with pictures of bad tags that guy has produced. I don't need to go any further than my car to find one. Seems like a lot of money for a bad part.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 05:22 AM

Here's a made tag that I really like (the one on the right, the other is the original):

Attached picture 7891580-DW023899cropresize.jpg

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 11:13 AM

They are some different results from that vendor, he may be my best choice.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 02:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I repeat: There is no such thing as a "Legit" reproduction tag. The only "Legit" tag is the one the factory installed.

Then lets take this just a little farther....

The only "Legit" parts on any car are the one's the factory installed

Russ
Posted By: VL21

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then lets take this just a little farther....

The only "Legit" parts on any car are the one's the factory installed

Russ

I tend to agree with this ... even though all the replacement parts may have produced as replacement parts for Chrysler (or who ever) and sold through the parts dept, they are not original.

Replacing everything, even with with parts that came in a box with MOPAR or CDPD on it doesn't make it more "original".

Makes the survivor cars even more important to the hobby(?) vs all the ones "restored" with replacement parts.

Attached picture 7891852-Iconmachinegunner.gif
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 03:18 PM

The difference is that a replacement hose isn't anything other than a replacement hose. It has nothing to do with the car's authenticity. Whether we like it or not, the value of a collectible car is usually tied to both it's authenticity and how it was equipped from the factory. A replacement tag calls both of those areas into question.

I have the original tag and a copy of the IBM card for our 64 Valiant 'vert, and the original tag and a copy of the broadcast sheet for my 73 wagon. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending upon your point of view), no one will ever care that I have such documentation for 2 undesirable cars.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 03:24 PM

Quote:

I tried a wire brush and it is so thin and crusty in a few spots I was making it worse. I'll keep the original and besides this is my 43rd mopar and I'm pushing 60 so this will be my last resto. I'll leave all the papers for my wifes next husband.

you took a wire brush to a thin and rusty fendertag ... are you crazy ???

Evaporust , soak it and then paint it . I would just leave the original tag on it ... assuming you didn't destroy it with the wire brush.

Like Scott said there is no legit tag... is the rest of the car so bad that a shiny new tag is going to make it look better ?
Posted By: Silverbullet2

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 03:39 PM

It's your car and I sure can't blame you for wanting it to look pretty. If there's anybody out there that can make a good copy of it I don't see anything wrong with that, especially if you don't change anything and keep the old tag with the car. It's probably the folks who add or change options and try to represent as original that make everyone suspicious of a new tag.

Now where is that 73 hemicuda convertible that I 'almost' bought a coupla years ago???
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 03:45 PM

Have seen fender tags stolen at car shows, not a bad idea to keep the original in a safe place and have a repop on the car. AG Backeast (www.datatags.com) is your best source.

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 05:03 PM

Thanks, that's who I'll call. I knew them and gts but wanted to see if anyone new was out there with a good reputation.

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 05:23 PM

Documentation and parts are NOT one in the same. Fender tags, broadcast sheets, etc. Regardless of what material they are made from or how they are attached to the car are not "parts".
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Evaporust , soak it and then paint it . I would just leave the original tag on it ... assuming you didn't destroy it with the wire brush.

Like Scott said there is no legit tag... is the rest of the car so bad that a shiny new tag is going to make it look better ?

John,think Evaporust will work on this one ??

Attached picture 7892081-BadTag.jpg
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 07:14 PM

lots of flack and few answers to your question, its sad that this site has become like the H.A.M.B.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks, that's who I'll call. I knew them and gts but wanted to see if anyone new was out there with a good reputation.

You could make a picture of your old rusty original tag and tape it to your inner fender next to your repo tag when you show your car to show the experts that your not trying to fool anyone. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to use a old rusty tag on a fresh restoration.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 08:26 PM

www.datatags.com should be able to supply your needs, your just making a copy of your existing fender tag, so there should be no mistakes made as to lay out/codes, assuming the factory made no mistakes on the tag....if there's any special inspection marks/stamps on your tag, that AG. Backeast (Datatags) can't reproduce, there are sources for procuring custom made inspection stamps/marks, PM me if you need that information

Mike

FYI...in the future make your requests for imformation regarding VIN/fender tags/build sheets/etc/etc/etc brief and to the point to avoid the usual diaper fires it sets off on a few individuals, that way you avoid the that usually accompanies these posts

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 08:27 PM

Quote:

a lot of flack and few answers to your question, its sad that this site has become like the H.A.M.B.

Hey, the question was answered in my first reply. Had he asked for a good source for a reproduction tag Id have answered it a bit differently. There's nothing wrong with owning or displaying a repro tag if you have the original for backup, but when you start thinking that its in any way "legit" or ok to change options (ANY options, tires in his case) the word fraud comes to mind.

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 08:36 PM

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with owning or displaying a repro tag if you have the original for backup, but when you start thinking that its in any way "legit" or ok to change options (ANY options, tires in his case) the word fraud comes to mind.

I "interpreted" his post regarding the tires, as meaning his car is eactly as the fender tag indicates, WITH the exception of the tire size currenty ON the car (physicaly) with no indication or "hint" that he wanted a tag with a different tire size noted...

We need a TocoBell smiley for some who need to "think outside the bun"...

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 08:49 PM

Not a surprising post from a guy who fakes everything he touches

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 10:10 PM

Quote:

Not a surprising post from a guy who fakes everything he touches

Why Thank You!...IIRC it was Enzo Ferrari that once said "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, esp when done well"...

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 10:16 PM

Ok "Enzo" good luck with that!
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 10:17 PM

Why Thank You!...IIRC it was Enzo Ferrari that once said "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, esp when done well"...

Imitation and forgery are not the same thing...

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 10:27 PM

The tag will stay the same, my car has 15's now and other than that it still matches the tag if you don't count the pertronix.
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/18/13 10:35 PM

There's nothing wrong with owning or displaying a repro tag if you have the original for backup,

I'd like to tuck my original away in a safe place, but also want the tag on the car. This is the first I've seen a response like this! So, is it OK to have a repop on the car as long as it has 100% the same info on the tag the original one has as long as you have the original tag in a safe place? I've wanted to do this, but I also want to keep living!!
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/19/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John,think Evaporust will work on this one ??

i have a tag that i'm afraid to put in evapo

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/19/13 12:33 AM

Quote:

I'd like to tuck my original away in a safe place, but also want the tag on the car. This is the first I've seen a response like this! So, is it OK to have a repop on the car as long as it has 100% the same info on the tag the original one has as long as you have the original tag in a safe place? I've wanted to do this, but I also want to keep living!!

It really depends on personal opinion. My take is as long as the original is still with the car (or stored separately, etc. but stays with the car) and the reproduction is an identical duplicate, I don't see a problem with it. There are several sources for reproduction tags, some are definitely a lot closer than others but NONE of them are undetectable PERIOD! so while fraudulent builders might fool some of us, they can't fool all of us.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/19/13 01:35 AM

Probably easier to take it off and claim it was stolen than go through this.
Posted By: ek3

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/19/13 03:28 AM

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2011/01/01/hmn_opinion4.html WANTED: 160 lbs of 1970 factory air, for a 71 e-body tire set with spare!!
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/19/13 04:38 AM

Quote:

Probably easier to take it off and claim it was stolen than go through this.

or. .better yet,install totally different tag...1972 polara wagon...that will piss them off
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Who to use for a legit fender tag? - 10/20/13 12:30 AM

Quote:

Here's a made tag that I really like (the one on the right, the other is the original):

that is actually really cool. i am going to have a bogus tag like that made for my 66 dart rustoration.
© 2024 Moparts Forums