Moparts

Vacuum Leak

Posted By: Nimbus426

Vacuum Leak - 10/17/13 08:33 AM

Does anybody have a vacuum hose diagram for a 440 4bbl? I bought a car with hoses missing and I'm not sure where they're supposed to connect. I've attached a picture of my engine if that helps any. Thank you.

Attached picture 7890540-BeFunky_IMG_2838small.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Vacuum Leak - 10/17/13 02:03 PM

the nipple on the pass side of the carb on the metering block would be ported vac for the dist. Manifold vac (if desired) would be a nipple at the base of the carb (front side on a Holley I believe) & there might be an additional inline in series valve that regulated the vacuum from the carb to the dist. Seperately full vacuum would go to a switch/valve of some sort then to the EGR pod there on the dr side. I would leave it as is unless you need it operational for emissions testing or wanting everything to be OE appearing.
Posted By: Nimbus426

Re: Vacuum Leak - 10/17/13 06:41 PM

Well my problem is when I come to a stop light or stop sign and I'm sitting still in drive the motor will start act up almost like it's running out of gas and it will die unless I put it in neutral or park..or anything but drive. When I do that it idles fine. Also if I put my foot down the engine will delay for a second before the power kicks in. Everyone I've talked to has told me it's a vacuum leak but I don't know the first thing about it so I don't know where to look for the problem.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Vacuum Leak - 10/18/13 12:52 AM

Quote:

Well my problem is when I come to a stop light or stop sign and I'm sitting still in drive the motor will start act up almost like it's running out of gas and it will die unless I put it in neutral or park..or anything but drive. When I do that it idles fine. Also if I put my foot down the engine will delay for a second before the power kicks in.

On the first one I'd take out the idle mixture screws on the side of the carb on the metering block & shoot a healthy 2 second blast of starting fluid or brake kleen in each hole then replace the screw on each side. count the # of turns to lighty seated so you can return the screws to their original position and might need to richen it slightly by unscrewing the screws out more. On the bog check if the accelerator pump shot tip in is immediate & of moderate duration. Is the bog at WOT or part throttle. How wild of cam & what PV (if known). The more info the better. Float levels OK? EDIT what's your initial? ported or manifold?
© 2024 Moparts Forums