Moparts

Firecore distributor set up... Opinions

Posted By: MikeyT

Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/16/13 09:35 PM

Hi all,

I just picked up one of Rich's distributors and am really excited to run it, but I thought I would get some opinions on set up for tuning it for my street/strip set up.

72 road runner with 9:1 comp 440 915 heads with comp valvejob, lunati 303 cam and a edelbrock rpm intake, 750 DP Holley, 1 7/8 headers, 727 with 4:10 gears

1)Looking for recommendation on initial and total timing

2) at which RPM level should I have total timing in by (3000, 2500, etc)

3) which springs to use

Thanks all

Mikey
Posted By: 70dart318

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/16/13 10:52 PM

why not just ask Rick?
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/16/13 10:52 PM

I'd go with the lightest springs... I like to have my advance all in by 2000 at the latest. I'd shoot for 18-22 initial and somewhere around 38 total ( not including vac. advance). That's where my Satellite was when it was similar to your set-up. I run Ricks distributor and love it!!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/16/13 11:45 PM

initial: with "vacuum gauge method". total: 36-38. springs: any combo that puts you just under the pinging point at WOT up thru the gears on your hottest/driest day no matter where (RPM) that makes the springs max out at. IN ORDER & if the vac gauge method when done makes the starter cranky when hot then reduce the initial timing 1 degree (not the in hg vac #) & repeat as needed (reducing it another 1 degree of timing if need be). EDIT then plug in/adj vac adv if used
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/16/13 11:49 PM

Quote:

I'd go with the lightest springs... I like to have my advance all in by 2000 at the latest. I'd shoot for 18-22 initial and somewhere around 38 total ( not including vac. advance). That's where my Satellite was when it was similar to your set-up. I run Ricks distributor and love it!!

This is a good range for initial that should work as a starting point. Find the point the where the starter kicksback as your initial limit and start tuning it up.

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/17/13 12:05 AM

Thanks guys!

I appreciate the help

Mike
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/17/13 01:34 AM

I have a Firecore50 distributor in my car and all I had to do is adjust my total advance.I would leave the springs alone for your combination
Just find out what your engine wants for base timing with a vacuum gauge then set your total at 2200.
With the original springs I have my total timing all in by 2200 which works well for my car.
Gus

Attached picture 7890189-savoyburnout.jpg
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/17/13 02:51 AM

Go with the lightest springs,as Scott stated. That 303 cam combined with only9 to 1 compression won't have much cylinder pressure to help get power down low. Therefore you need the advance in quicker than a higher compression or smaller cammed engine.
Keith

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/17/13 04:44 AM

Ok, I am looking it over and have no instructions... Which is the lightest spring?

Mike

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/17/13 11:53 PM

Bump

Which is which folks?

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/17/13 11:56 PM

Oops I was going to look today and I forgot. Ill see if I can find it.
Keith

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/18/13 05:30 AM

Thanks, I believe your brother helped me out!

Mike
Posted By: QTR MILR

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/18/13 10:40 AM

Hey!! Don't go around spreading the rumor that I'm Keith's brother!!

Re: Firecore distributor set up... Opinions - 10/18/13 04:17 PM

Sorry I took so long,....the blue springs that come in the distributor are the medium tension silver are the lightest and black are the heaviest. And sorry about my brother we need to have him tested !
Keith
© 2024 Moparts Forums