Moparts

Bumper rechroming

Posted By: magic1

Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 01:41 AM

I live in NYC with a nice 70 GTX...These bumpers are in nice shape, but are beyond polishing....With out sending them via UPS...who can re chrome them without me putting them on an airplane?
Posted By: paris401

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 02:02 PM

we had 2 done by paul's in pa a few years ago... excellent work they do...
Posted By: 1KoolBee

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 04:26 PM

Depending on who is available locally and how good they are, you might reconsider the shipping thing. Ogden Chrome makes it real easy, they have them picked up from and delivered to your doorstep. All you have to do is pack them well, basically wrap them in cardboard. Great prices, outstanding quality, straightened, smoothed, triple plated. They did my mangled cores, I was expecting driver quality & I was stunned at how nice they came out. They are definitely show quality now.
Posted By: floridian

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 06:00 PM

Quote:

Depending on who is available locally and how good they are, you might reconsider the shipping thing. Ogden Chrome makes it real easy, they have them picked up from and delivered to your doorstep. All you have to do is pack them well, basically wrap them in cardboard. Great prices, outstanding quality, straightened, smoothed, triple plated. They did my mangled cores, I was expecting driver quality & I was stunned at how nice they came out. They are definitely show quality now.

Had my 67 coronet bumpers done by them.. Outstanding..

Attached picture 7887261-5554552-vertbaseball2.jpg
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 06:30 PM

Tri City Plating in Tennesee...
Posted By: b body idiot

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 07:03 PM

Tri City plating in Tenn.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 07:16 PM

Called Odgen, they quoted $550 which includes shipping both ways.
I can buy an AMD bumper shipped for $300.

Is there really a ~2x difference in quality?
Posted By: jcc

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 10:32 PM

I don't know or believe most of what "they" tell is the difference in chroming, but I have a 55 caddy with original chrome (gobs) that has spent many of years outside in Florida, and the is in surprising shape, and I have had one truck bumper chromed 3 times locally in 14 years, looks fine when picked up, 3? years later its covered in rust. There is obviously a difference, how you pay for that difference, and get it, is a big guess IMO.
Posted By: cjbill

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 10:33 PM

Years ago, I had my 300 bumpers done by "Bumper Boys" in CA. They had my bumpers in stock, and all I did was an exchange....sent them my old, got new. They can ship them, but in my case, I was able to pick them up in Charlotte, NC at the rod run for minimal charge. I think they're still in business.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 11:16 PM

Quote:

YES! That's a good deal with shipping both ways.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/14/13 11:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

YES! That's a good deal with shipping both ways.

Nothing like having originals rechromed instead of Chinese bumpers with no history on how well they will hold up over the years.
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/15/13 11:42 AM

Paul's plating in Portersville, Pa does do very nice work. If you need someone to be your middle man, I will help you out. It is less than 40 min. from me. I've had many things done there, always top shelf stuff.
See ya, Ken Michalik
Posted By: floridian

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/15/13 12:42 PM

Quote:

Years ago, I had my 300 bumpers done by "Bumper Boys" in CA. They had my bumpers in stock, and all I did was an exchange....sent them my old, got new. They can ship them, but in my case, I was able to pick them up in Charlotte, NC at the rod run for minimal charge. I think they're still in business.

Not sure how these people are still in business.. Absolutely the WORST of the WORST......
Posted By: paris401

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/15/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing like having originals rechromed instead of Chinese bumpers with no history on how well they will hold up over the years.

Agree 100%... but b4 sending your untouched orig's to anyone, make sure u make 'your-mark' on it... you don't want to send out your perfect core and get back a hammered out one in its place..
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/15/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

Ogden Chrome? Anyone have a number. I'd check them out. Thanks
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/15/13 02:11 PM

Found it.
Posted By: floyd

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/15/13 02:14 PM

Quote:

Paul's plating in Portersville, Pa does do very nice work. If you need someone to be your middle man, I will help you out. It is less than 40 min. from me. I've had many things done there, always top shelf stuff.
See ya, Ken Michalik

I've some stuff done by Paul's and it is top notch. They are a well run operation focused on quality.
Posted By: cjbill

Re: Bumper rechroming - 10/15/13 04:41 PM

I'm fairly happy with my bumpers, much better than the pitted originals, plus, having a C-body, I don't really have the option of opening up a catalog and ordering a set.
© 2024 Moparts Forums