Moparts

overheating

Posted By: komninon

overheating - 10/12/13 06:59 PM

Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

never had overheating problems before, 26" aluminum radiator, shroud, 6 blade nylon mechanical fan. always 195 in bad traffic and 180 on the highway.
just installed new ac system, gets up to 225 in traffic which I do not like, and 190 on the highway which I think is ok. should I go with 7 blade 216 fan? is it going to have more air flow a idle?
do I need a bigger radiator? or installing a pusher electric fan in front the condenser will help?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: overheating - 10/12/13 07:10 PM

Do you have any space between the condenser and the radiator?

Re: overheating - 10/12/13 07:12 PM

about 1/2"
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: overheating - 10/12/13 07:36 PM

You need a smaller WP pulley to speed up the fan for more airflow & side bennie of more coolant flow
Posted By: moparcanuk

Re: overheating - 10/13/13 02:12 AM

I did it all and eventually installed a 160 stat which solved all my heating problems.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: overheating - 10/13/13 02:32 AM

Yes, get rid of that plastic fan.

A "216" fan would be my choice. I them on both of my cars and they cool well in traffic at idle. I also have R134 AC and the 216 fan and shroud pulls enough air at idle to make my AC work at idle when it's hot and the clutch is locked up. You can actually hear the fan when the clutch is locked up.

Great setup IMO, way better than a plastic flex fan.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: overheating - 10/13/13 02:36 AM

Quote:

I did it all and eventually installed a 160 stat which solved all my heating problems.

You realize a thermostat does NOTHING for maximum temperature. It only sets the minimum. If a new thermostat "fixed" the problem then the problem was the old thermostat, not the temperature rating of it.

I think the OP found out that his cooling system had barely adequate airflow then he installed a condenser which took him into the inadequate airflow category. Your fan is not pulling enough. You need more airflow, get rid of the aftermarket junk. A factory shroud, fan and AC pulley setup will fix your problems. Never understood why people scrap a system with millions of miles of proven performance (factory radiator, shroud, fan setup) and slap on a bunch of aftermarket bling then wonder what happened.

Re: overheating - 10/13/13 03:06 PM

Quote:

Yes, get rid of that plastic fan.

good point on the fan, get rid of the flex fan & add a metal one with as many blades as possible & that'd be easier than finding the correct size/depth WP pulley (tho I have a bunch, PM as needed ) & if that dont do it then yes I would change pulleys. Holler how it turns out
Posted By: moparcanuk

Re: overheating - 10/13/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You realize a thermostat does NOTHING for maximum temperature. It only sets the minimum. If a new thermostat "fixed" the problem then the problem was the old thermostat, not the temperature rating of it.

Exactly. if you're running a 195 stat, your motor can't get any cooler than 195. The only way it has to go is up.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: overheating - 10/13/13 06:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think the OP found out that his cooling system had barely adequate airflow then he installed a condenser which took him into the inadequate airflow category. Your fan is not pulling enough. You need more airflow, get rid of the aftermarket junk. A factory shroud, fan and AC pulley setup will fix your problems. Never understood why people scrap a system with millions of miles of proven performance (factory radiator, shroud, fan setup) and slap on a bunch of aftermarket bling then wonder what happened.

I put MY money where my beliefe is.
im right!

Attached picture 7886159-7848811-013(2)RadPic.JPG
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: overheating - 10/13/13 09:20 PM

im right!

You also put your fan to far into the shroud !

Re: overheating - 10/13/13 11:34 PM

thanks guys ,
i will try to find a 7 blade fan and see if that is going to work.
only problem is i live in Chicago and do not think we will have any hot humid days coming soon.

Re: overheating - 10/14/13 01:07 AM

Yeah I'd get a 7 blade rigid fan/properly spaced & see if the stoplight to stoplight cruising temp comes down from 225. Even with the cooler ambient temps you'll know if it is working. Holler how things turn out
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: overheating - 10/14/13 01:09 AM

Quote:

im right!

You also put your fan to far into the shroud !

Look again.

No fan

Re: overheating - 10/14/13 01:28 AM

Quote:

Look again.

No fan

Komninion update us on what's going on
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: overheating - 10/19/13 03:18 AM

Think again.....
naw, i dont think so.