Moparts

Exhaust bolt/stud sealer

Posted By: OhioMopar

Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 12:35 PM

What do you use to seal the exhaust bolts/studs in the heads on your big block? I am using ARP bolts, and I've never really used sealer before, and I've also never had them leak. So I guess I'll try it this time.
Thanks!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 01:22 PM

Some use gold Permatex.I use silver anti sieze and never had a leak with bolts.Now I run studs in my headers with just a bolt where a stud wont go.Rocky

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 01:32 PM

I used ARP bolts for the first time. Never had a problem before now. I'm guessing the oxide finish is too smooth?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 03:13 PM

I'd highly suggest using OE shouldered studs & trim the outer fine threaded portion till just enough threads remain so the nut fits flush. Any more length is a waste & hampers header fitment. You can also source a higher grade nut that is thinner so you can trim em even more. To ans your Q I would suggest Permatex #1 gasket cement in the toothpaste like tube. It is thick/viscous & dries rock hard. "the right stuff" gasket cement tho pricey is even better. Clean the holes with a small bottle brush/brake kleen first till the holes are clean & dry so the cement will get a better grip
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 04:05 PM

Can anyone give me a part # for an ARP stud kit that will fit our 906 heads? (Header application)
Looked at various sites, but came up empty on a kit that referenced BB MOPAR??

Thanks, Joe

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 06:02 PM

I didn't use studs, they are 3/8 headed shoulder bolts. Thank you.

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 06:24 PM

Dorman makes the studs.I bought new ones at a local auto parts store.I even got thick washers there.Total was about 12 bucks.I even run studs in my aluminum heads with no water at the holes.Rocky
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 06:37 PM

Quote:

"the right stuff" gasket cement tho pricey is even better.

It's all I use, fantastic stuff for most of your engines gasket sealant needs.

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 07:32 PM

Right Stuff is RTV not made for hi heat temps like exhaust.The copper is made for heat.Clean surface and good gaskets dont require RTV.Ive replaced thousands of parts at work and home over 40 years.Never used both.Rocky
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 08:43 PM

Quote:

Right Stuff is RTV not made for hi heat temps like exhaust.The copper is made for heat.Clean surface and good gaskets dont require RTV.Ive replaced thousands of parts at work and home over 40 years.Never used both.Rocky

I agree that it might not have been designed for exhaust studs, but I've used it since the 90's when it first came out and it's worked just fine for exhaust studs, zero failures.

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/12/13 11:41 PM

Thanks to all of you. Probably get some of the Right Stuff.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Exhaust bolt/stud sealer - 10/13/13 03:11 AM

Loctite Thread sealer is all I've ever used on any threads that entered liquid(coolant) for many years now...zero issues!

Attached picture 7885595-loctitethreadsealer.gif
© 2024 Moparts Forums