Moparts

converter balance question.

Posted By: 67_Satellite

converter balance question. - 10/04/13 01:55 AM

Can you remove the added balance weight from a converter for an external balance application, and use it behind an internal balance engine? I don't know why not, but I've been wrong before.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: converter balance question. - 10/04/13 02:03 AM

Quote:

Can you remove the added balance weight from a converter for an external balance application, and use it behind an internal balance engine? I don't know why not, but I've been wrong before.

The factory added the needed balance weight onto the converter originally the trick is to get it off the converter with the weight intact weighing what it weighed before removal

Re: converter balance question. - 10/04/13 02:10 AM

If memory serves me right, they're just electrically spot welded on. Figured very careful use of a drill bit would be the easiest way to get it off.I don't think the balance really needs to be that exact for this set-up.It couldn't throw the balance any further off than the .030 over pistons did.
Posted By: 383man

Re: converter balance question. - 10/04/13 03:00 AM

Years ago I took out a 400 Chevy smallblock from a truck and put a 350 in I believe. The eng in the truck was internally balanced and the one I took out was externally balanced and it had a vibration. Once I figured that out I cut the weight off the converter with a air chisel and all was fine. Ron
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: converter balance question. - 10/04/13 03:22 AM

I used to run a 360/727 combo out of a 75 Charger in my 71 Duster. When I finally had the 340 ready for the Duster, I pulled the 360 and knocked the weight off the converter before I installed the 340 (internally balanced) and I didn't have any issues.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: converter balance question. - 10/04/13 09:23 AM

Only difference is the weight(s). Knock/cut it off and go with it.
Posted By: skicker

Re: converter balance question. - 10/04/13 12:19 PM

Easiest way I found was to drill down thru the spot weld till you reach the face of the converter. Do not drill into the converter itself. Once you have the hole drilled only the very outside edges of the drilled out weld are connected. Use a crescent wrench and twist the weight off. If it leaves a little weld behind just lightly grind it off.This works as well as anything else I've seen.

Re: converter balance question. - 10/04/13 05:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.Thought that's the way it worked, but wanted a second opinion
© 2024 Moparts Forums