Moparts

Decent sound system retaining stock radio?????

Posted By: domingo

Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 03:30 PM

Hi!

I am doing a Challenger for a friend and he wants to retain the stock radio, but have a decent sound system where he can plug his Ipod and blast some tunes.

He wants dual speakers on the dash and he also wants dual speakers on the package tray, probably a subwoofer as well.

Is there any way to run all of this thru a stock radio? Does anybody offer stock radio conversions that look stock on the face but pack modern internals?

Or should I just leave the stock radio working thru the center speaker on the dash, and just use an aftermarket radio inside the glovebox????
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 03:54 PM

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/category/Mopar-Radio.html

kind of pricey imo, but worth it for a restore job.

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 04:13 PM

Quote:

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/category/Mopar-Radio.html

kind of pricey imo, but worth it for a restore job.

Still doesnt look stock-! it has an LCD screen!
Posted By: jglen490

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 04:40 PM

Dual speakers on the package tray doesn't sound too stock, either! If it's a show car, targeted towards 100% original, then pay the price with a retro radio. If good sound is the goal, then a modern sound system CAN be dash mounted very nicely - with some effort - to go along with package tray rear speakers and properly set up fronts.
Posted By: fireeng

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 04:47 PM

I bought one of these. They are expensive. There was a 4-6 week wait on them when I ordered but I was able to talk the vendor down $50 bucks when I ordered.

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/newradio0F.htm

The tuner indicator never worked properly even after sending the radio back 3 times but the radio does look stock, picks up a lot of stations, has decent sound with 45 watts and has RCA jacks for ipod or satellite hook up.
Posted By: fireeng

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 04:54 PM

I think Wards can do what you want.

http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/

I didn't have a stock radio to start with, that's why I went the route I did. If you have the stock radio, I think converting that one is the way to go. I also found a speaker for my one speaker dash that had left and right tweeters installed in it so it fit in the stock one speaker space. I forget where I bought that though. I put some decent 6x9s under the slotted package tray for the rears and mine sounds pretty good.

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 04:55 PM

Quote:

Dual speakers on the package tray doesn't sound too stock, either! If it's a show car, targeted towards 100% original, then pay the price with a retro radio. If good sound is the goal, then a modern sound system CAN be dash mounted very nicely - with some effort - to go along with package tray rear speakers and properly set up fronts.

Its not a show car targeted to 100% stock....but the dual rear speakers under the perforated package tray are almost invisible unless you stick your head inside the trunk. Now the radio, thats something thats IN YOUR FACE and totally visible.

im just trying to have a stock looking interior at first glance.

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

I think Wards can do what you want.

http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/

I didn't have a stock radio to start with, that's why I went the route I did. If you have the stock radio, I think converting that one is the way to go. I also found a speaker for my one speaker dash that had left and right tweeters installed in it so it fit in the stock one speaker space. I forget where I bought that though. I put some decent 6x9s under the slotted package tray for the rears and mine sounds pretty good.

Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 05:05 PM

Leave the stock radio alone.

Add an amplifier to drive the 6x9s and possible other speakers up front (kick panels) or possibly component speakers hidden somewhere.

The input to the amp could either be a bluetooth adapter that would allow you to stream wirelessly from a device or a hard line connection, something like a cable run from the input side of the amp up front, RCA to mini plug stereo adapter or similar. There are likely iPod specific adapters out there as well, if he is a true apple fanboy.

The bluetooth or mini jack option allows you to use many devices, could stream pandora from cell phone, etc.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

Dual speakers on the package tray doesn't sound too stock, either!

Nobody said anything about sounding stock, in fact it is readily apparent that the object was to NOT sound stock, just look it.

There is a company that will take your stock radio, put new guts in it and add an external jack and USB port (both hidden). But I forget who it was, sorry.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 05:32 PM

'Instrument Specialties'...

Page 39...

Nov '13 MCG...
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nobody said anything about sounding stock, in fact it is readily apparent that the object was to NOT sound stock, just look it.

There is a company that will take your stock radio, put new guts in it and add an external jack and USB port (both hidden). But I forget who it was, sorry.

I think what he meant by "doesn't sound stock" was "that is not a stock appearing installation"
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/03/13 08:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think what he meant by "doesn't sound stock" was "that is not a stock appearing installation"

Ward's is the go to guy around here for radio conversions.

Even the 4X45 watt conversion tunner put inside your stock radio like done by Wards and other places doesn't look stock when you look under the dash because there are many more wires than stock.
This radio was not done by Ward's wish it was.

I have been using it since 2005, it's got some wear already and it quit working a while back. I think I may have touched a speaker wire to ground for a split second moving a front dash mounted speaker around in the dash with the radio on?
After I installed the front speakers it never worked again. I have bench tested it many times. I talked to Greg Ward and one of these days I may do it all over again? It still lights up and tunes, just no sound.
I had the same deal in my 74, conversion radio with 4 speakers, sounded OK.
Then one day it quit...and I found one of the rear speaker wires knocked off by some cargo that got put in the trunk.. I can only assume the same thing happened to that radio? so here's a word of caution, use insulated speaker wire connectors.

Now I like the amp and blue tooth idea more than the conversion radio? Like the sub woofer no matter how small and because I have fallen in love with my I pod. Find myself using it all the time now when I can. It's on my Iphone too which is synced with my new truck.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/04/13 01:11 AM

My buddy has a brand x radio delete car. He put a complete system (head unit w/iPod and aux inputs,amp,even hid the antenna!)hid very nicely in the trunk. It drives a pair of nice 6x9's in the package tray. He runs it all with a remote and it sounds very nice. Even with the trunk open it's hard to see, with it closed nobody knows it's there unless he turns it on

Look around at www.crutchfield.com .lots of options
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/04/13 02:01 AM

Quote:

My buddy has a brand x radio delete car. He put a complete system (head unit w/iPod and aux inputs,amp,even hid the antenna!)hid very nicely in the trunk. It drives a pair of nice 6x9's in the package tray. He runs it all with a remote and it sounds very nice. Even with the trunk open it's hard to see, with it closed nobody knows it's there unless he turns it on

Look around at www.crutchfield.com .lots of options

Exactly. Depends on the kind of guy you are. Want to show off your goods, or hide them? Considering technology, and if you are worried about originality, leave your stock radio and 4x10 (or... use the speaker frame to mount a 6AL box under the dash like I did... lol) alone. Put an entirely different/separate system using new tech components. If you want to drive them with a phone/device there are many options.
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/04/13 05:04 AM

Greg Ward does great work and could not be more helpful!

Darren
Posted By: filmsurgeon

Re: Decent sound system retaining stock radio????? - 10/04/13 05:49 PM

These are sold by several online retailers, including Classic Industries
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-74-Mopar-E-Body-AM-FM-Stereo-Reproduction-Radio-/200432802415
© 2024 Moparts Forums