Moparts

Please rate time slip for street car

Posted By: dfsmopars

Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 01:42 AM

Not that I really feel I have to say this but please be honest but rate this time slip.
Car
'72 Charger, full interior, 360 Magnum (.02 over), full roller, .544 lift 218/228 Hughes cam, 650 Carter on Air Gap intake, RHS iron heads, Hooker SB headers, timing at 35° advanced, MSD Pro Billet distributor (no box), 2.5" exhaust, AT w/2500 Hughes stall, 3.55 gears, 28.5 x 12 tires.

Time Slip
60'- 2.02
E.T.- 14.20
MPH- 93.5
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 01:49 AM

heavy car to get moving with SB...gears,and converter hurts 60 ft,BUT do you want a race car,or a nice street car?? sounds like a nice driver...how does it feel to YOU??
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 01:53 AM

Needs suspension work!!!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 02:03 AM

Quote:

Needs suspension work!!!

Maybe, but that's not the big issue. The big problem is the 93.5 trap. A 2.02 60 can produce ETs in the low to mid 13's pretty easy, IF the top end is there.
OP: you're not creating the HP you should. It could be the tune, or that carter carb, but something is holding back on the top end.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 02:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Needs suspension work!!!

Maybe, but that's not the big issue. The big problem is the 93.5 trap. A 2.02 60 can produce ETs in the low to mid 13's pretty easy, IF the top end is there.
OP: you're not creating the HP you should. It could be the tune, or that carter carb, but something is holding back on the top end.

Just reread the post needs fuel work and a better carb!
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 02:19 AM

Ignition may need refining too.

35 total is a pretty useless number. What's the split if it has an advance curve.

Definitely lacking MPH. Carb... yuk!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 02:20 AM

Agreed...MPH number is the true measure of power. I had a bad launch and ran a 2.0 sixty foot time that still netted the same 107 MPH I did with a 1.7 sixty foot time. But my ET was a half second slower.

It might not be in the cards yet, but one day I'd call a quality converter company (PTC, Dynamic) and get one matched to your combo. A good converter isn't cheap, but makes such a difference.

Tuning the carb you already have will help tremendously. (I run a 750 Holley DP on my street/strip car and love it.) That relatively low MPH to me shows a possible fuel delivery issue.

What kind of tires are you running? Drag radials?
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

Not that I really feel I have to say this but please be honest but rate this time slip.
Car
'72 Charger, full interior, 360 Magnum (.02 over), full roller, .544 lift 218/228 Hughes cam, 650 Carter on Air Gap intake, RHS iron heads, Hooker SB headers, timing at 35° advanced, MSD Pro Billet distributor (no box), 2.5" exhaust, AT w/2500 Hughes stall, 3.55 gears, 28.5 x 12 tires.

Time Slip
60'- 2.02
E.T.- 14.20
MPH- 93.5

Hmmmm. If you are a typical hobbyist and just took it to the track the first time, I think that is pretty good. That car/engine combo from the factory was a high 15 second deal. Do you know what the car weighs?

Unless you have done this before, it is hard to put it together, go to the track, and expect it to be near perfect. I would guess that you could get it well into the 13s at 96 mph with tuning, trialing and several more track visits.

Just noticed the tire size. Put a smaller tire on it. That alone will probably put you at 14.0 and 95 mph.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 02:45 AM

Takes about 230-240rwhp to move 3900# to those times/mph.

It's missing a BUNCH!

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 02:51 AM

I disagree. He probably has an honest 290 flywheel hp. I would not really expect more than 320, maybe 330 out of it.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 02:58 AM

OK, where to begin. Everyone's replies are very thought provoking.
Car weight- 3600#?
Tires are Toyo Proxes mounted on 18x10s
The TC was picked because I needed a LU for an A500. This is first and foremost a cruiser and long hauler but needs to perform to its potential
Switched out Carter for Eddy 1411 and it was way worse- put the Carter back on
Thought the car ran good, driver could have left the line harder but it wasn't horrible, expected low 14s but hoped for high 13s
A few 1/4 mile passes before with best previous experience was a '01 Firehawk 6 speed that went 13.05 @ 106 mph.
Seeing a common thread in the replies

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 03:05 AM

Quote:

I disagree. He probably has an honest 290 flywheel hp. I would not really expect more than 320, maybe 330 out of it.

That's 360 w/stock heads and xe256-268 hyd territory.

That engine should be making an honest high 3's easily. RHS headed 360's with 9.5:1 and xe275hl will make 420's+.

The tune up, fuel delivery, something is way off, IMO. 3600# only makes it look worse.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 04:06 AM

I would try 30 and 32 degrees total timing and see if that helps the MPH, all the SB with iron heads that I have helped tuned like it I have absolutely no experience with the heads your running so if you have treid 30 and 32 and your motors likes 35 please let us know, I'm sure there are more than one other SB Mopar on here are using them
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 04:42 AM

For what it's worth...

My combo

5.9L magnum.
Stock heads
2bbl M1 intake
222/228 107LSA, .544 lift
4000lb truck
Stick shift 3.92 gears, 27" tires, stick shift

2.2-2.3 60'
14.2 @ 99 mph

Your combo has a slightly smaller cam, but better flowing heads. You have a lot more potential with more tuning.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 04:44 AM

Oh and chassis dyno shows 285 HP and 325 TQ
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 05:34 AM

Since when does a 72 Charger only weigh 3600 LBS?
Posted By: Yellow Fever

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 05:36 AM

Not bad.
My 64 valiant vert did 14.5 with a stock 318 4bbl and dual exhaust with a 4 speed. Had a huge vacuum leak though and hard to keep the skinny tires from spinning.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 12:54 PM

Quote:

Only a guess based on other cars I have actually weighed in the past. Apparently my guess is off.
FWIW A few weeks ago the car had a short bog or stall at initiall WOT but would bark the big tires in second. Remedy was advance timing a little more, change the pod settings in the dist and eventually the stall went away and so did the tire bark. Bogging is not an option but maybe 32* would be worth a try again. Gotta find a good carb combo it sounds like.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 01:36 PM

converter can be a weak link...need a good one to transfer power...and suspension is whatI'd look at next. Not bad numbers

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 06:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Only a guess based on other cars I have actually weighed in the past. Apparently my guess is off.
FWIW A few weeks ago the car had a short bog or stall at initiall WOT but would bark the big tires in second. Remedy was advance timing a little more, change the pod settings in the dist and eventually the stall went away and so did the tire bark. Bogging is not an option but maybe 32* would be worth a try again. Gotta find a good carb combo it sounds like.

Undo those changes to get your '2nd gear bark' back

Then tune out the bog with the carb pump shot. It's probably a lean slot and needs more gas
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 08:43 PM

Since no one has mentioned this: have you double checked to make sure your carb is opening all the way?

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/29/13 09:31 PM

Quote:

Since no one has mentioned this: have you double checked to make sure your carb is opening all the way?

Yes sir I'll check again but I think it's good.
70cuda, I'll give it try. Honestly, the MSD pods intimidate me. There are like thousands of combinations.
As far as the TC cannot justify spending more money on it- for now I'm stuck with it.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 02:02 AM

not bad. what did you think you were going to run? more convert and more gear and you'd be in the 13's easy.
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 02:27 AM

throw a mild shot of NO2,and be done with it..

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 02:42 AM

Quote:

not bad. what did you think you were going to run? more convert and more gear and you'd be in the 13's easy.

Thought the car would be right at 14.00. The disappointment was the speed through the traps. Thought it would be closer to 100 than 90.
Posted By: 82ramIndy493

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 04:02 AM

A tricked Holley 750 DF DP, 3.91 gears, 2800-3200 converter and Caltracs along with good tuning should make a big difference and still be streetable. Built that same car for a friend with a very mild 440 driven daily and it went mid 12's.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 04:30 PM

i dont understand the responses saying that that car needs a bigger carb. it runs pretty much what it should in my humble opinion,might run alitle better times given more time and practice but look at the camspecs and you will understand the lack of mph lift isnt everything duration is the reason that engine wont make alot of HP.

more gear and converter would help some but a bigger carb wont do much if anything.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 04:37 PM

I think the 60 foot is in line with the ET and I would guess the weight of it all going down the track is closer to 4,200 pounds than 3,600 pounds (4,000 pound car and 200 or so pound driver I'm guessing).

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 04:49 PM

'72 B-bodies are really that heavy? Our '72 Challenger weighs 3,340 pounds.
Posted By: moper

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 04:54 PM

Quote:

i dont understand the responses saying that that car needs a bigger carb. it runs pretty much what it should in my humble opinion,might run alitle better times given more time and practice but look at the camspecs and you will understand the lack of mph lift isnt everything duration is the reason that engine wont make alot of HP.

more gear and converter would help some but a bigger carb wont do much if anything.

x3.
If the response is "there's too many combinations" in terms of tuning the ignition - then my impression is the OP is not able to tune to get the best possible reuslt. For bolted together and mildly tweaked I'd say it's deaed on. That cam's way small IMO. I'd like to see another 8-10° of duration @ .050 and IMO the ignition and then carb need serious tuning.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 05:00 PM

First off, how many passes did you make? What were the weather conditions? Humidity and headwind make a huge difference on a little motor in a big car.

IMHO, your converter/tire/gear combo suck for that camshaft.

It's easy to get discouraged your first time out. Go out in a little better weather, launch a little better, and you will probably get in the high 13's the way it sits.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 06:02 PM

Quote:

'72 B-bodies are really that heavy? Our '72 Challenger weighs 3,340 pounds.

I was going to question a race weight of 4200 lbs as well.

my full framed regular cab (short wheelbase) Dakota with my 220 lb butt in the seat and a full tank of gas only weighs 4000 lbs. and half of the frame is a full enclosed frame, while the back half of the frame is just a "C" channel.

I'd be shocked if a small block 72 Charger weighed 4200 lbs with the driver in the seat.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 06:12 PM

Lots of apples to oranges comparisons about the weight. Yeah my '67 Satellite weighs 3,600 pounds but that's not an early '70s Charger either.

I still say it is closer to 4,000 pounds than 3,600 pounds but there's only one way to find out which wouldn't be a bad idea so the OP knows what he's dealing with and if his ET is really off or not.

I did find this in the archives:

"My '71 Charger is 3,850, and that is with the A/C removed and aluminum heads, intake, and waterpump housing. Best way to find out is to just weigh it."
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thought the car would be right at 14.00. The disappointment was the speed through the traps. Thought it would be closer to 100 than 90.

I don't think you have enough motor for 100. Maybe with more gear. I can see you picking up a few mph in tuning/driving.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 06:43 PM

With the gear your running and that tall tire is killing it in that heavy car, if you have a 8 3/4 borrow a 4:30 gear from one of your buddy's for the weekend and try that you will shurely get well into 13s. If you want twelves put a modest nitrous plate on it.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 07:08 PM

My 73 weigh's 3980 lbs according to CAT scale's With less engine and cam but more gear it has gone 14.3 at 95.25 Give that engine more timing and a Holley 650 dbl pumper using 68-70primaty jet. While the carter is good reliable carb it is no match for the holley period.I have 6 carter AVS so this is not a case of not running them. Get a Comp 268-270- 280 cam the car will be faster period. and get the timing to at least 40 degree total I get those times with a dual point dist

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 07:20 PM

700 pound difference between your B and our E...really interesting. What makes the B body so much heavier?
Posted By: feets

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 07:42 PM

What's the compression ratio? A low compression can make an engine lazy.

The AFB is a great carb for the street. A Holley is a better carb for the track. You said this is a street car so stick with what you've got.

Lower rear gears would help. That A500 would pull a 3.91 nicely on the highway. Find out what the power band of the cam is supposed to be and get the rear gears that would put you above the low rpm point at 60 mph in OD.

I'd leave the converter alone with this being a street car.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 07:54 PM

A really good converter that's matched to the combo is a joy for a street car that sees track time. Mine is a 9.5" PTC...it acts mild and normal while driving on the street, and wakes up when I mat it. It even lowered my cruising RPM by a couple hundred.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 09/30/13 08:42 PM

Obviously I didn't do my homework on the TC. This Hughes 2500 seems a little loose on the street but that could be a symptom of the tall tires as well. Options looked limited on a builder for the converter who could include lockup.
The 3.55 gears are what I had in the car before the A500 and 5.9. The car originally had 2.76s.
There are truck scales here at work and I'll use them as soon as possible just for the information.
As far as compression, with the RHS X heads the compression was estimated at 9.5 by Hughes Engines. The KB pistons were 0.017" above deck when put together.
Don't blame Hughes for the cam, my request was for a bottom end "torquey" cam.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 12:14 AM

You are getting a lot of conflicting info here. Some say gear and converter, others say "more power".

Your time slip actually points to one on these as the place to focus if you want better ets and mph. Quite simply, it is not the gear/converter. Unless of course there is something wrong with the converter that it is eating hp (possible).

When you look at the generally accepted formula for dissecting quarter mile data, it shows that if your had a perfect racing suspension (this includes gear and converter) you best possible et is about 13.9.

These empirically derived formula are pretty reflective of reality. However, certain conditions can alter the conclusions drawn. These conditions include motor related problems that cause the motor to be down on power at the end of the track (i.e. skewing the et/60" times relative to the mph), examples include ignition cut out, or fuel starvation. When power, or mph seem down, always check that you don't have a fuel delivery problem.

IIRC, your post asked what we thought about your quarter mile performance relative to what you have, and not necessarily what is need to go quicker/faster. I still maintain that you are not that far off and hold to my previous suggestions to make what you have perform better. My sense from your post was."..what should it run with what I have", not "...what could it run if I throw a bunch of money/changes at it".

Also, like someone else said, wind and atmospheric conditions can have a very measurable effect on performance.

Tell us what day and track you were at.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 12:29 AM

You can also post this in the race section. Lots of street/strip guys on there with tons of knowledge.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 01:03 AM

Besides getting the actual weight of your car, finding out the DA at the track will go a long way to finding out where you are at for a baseline.

This website works well, just punch in your track, date, and time of run from your timeslip:

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 03:56 AM

Which bushing do you have on the distributor? If it's not the black one, install that and reset your timing and carb setting.

If you slapped the distributor in as delivered, it's got a garbage tune on it. Also change the spring from teh garage door openers that are on it to a light silver and blue spring.

It's missing a bunch of power with the doggy MPH and is a soggy banana done low is my bet.

If that thing is tuned with proper fuel delivery and running right it should go low 13's easily. A 360, xe268H LD340, 350ish hp on a dyno in a 3300# a body ran over 104 in vegas in bad air. OP has got more cam from a lift perspective and better heads.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 11:41 AM

Quote:

You are getting a lot of conflicting info here. Some say gear and converter, others say "more power".

Your time slip actually points to one on these as the place to focus if you want better ets and mph. Quite simply, it is not the gear/converter. Unless of course there is something wrong with the converter that it is eating hp (possible).

When you look at the generally accepted formula for dissecting quarter mile data, it shows that if your had a perfect racing suspension (this includes gear and converter) you best possible et is about 13.9.

These empirically derived formula are pretty reflective of reality. However, certain conditions can alter the conclusions drawn. These conditions include motor related problems that cause the motor to be down on power at the end of the track (i.e. skewing the et/60" times relative to the mph), examples include ignition cut out, or fuel starvation. When power, or mph seem down, always check that you don't have a fuel delivery problem.

IIRC, your post asked what we thought about your quarter mile performance relative to what you have, and not necessarily what is need to go quicker/faster. I still maintain that you are not that far off and hold to my previous suggestions to make what you have perform better. My sense from your post was."..what should it run with what I have", not "...what could it run if I throw a bunch of money/changes at it".

Also, like someone else said, wind and atmospheric conditions can have a very measurable effect on performance.

Tell us what day and track you were at.

The day was sunnny and at the time of the run it was about 78° and the RH was pretty low at about 60%. There was a slight cross wind coming across from right to left.
Seems the car has something left on the table as it is built and it'd be nice to find the optimum set up with the equipment currently installed then move on to better things down the road. Gears and carb are definitely in its future but not right now. Life demands more thoughtful spending these days.
Posted By: CoDart

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 01:38 PM

Heres my setup which is very similar to yours:
3450lb Dart(with me)
Magnum 360 with 9.5 compression, RHS indy heads, 228/232 .540 lift cam, 904 3500rpm stall, 3.91 gears,275/60/15 et radial tires. 85 octane gas. Ran a 13.8@98mph(1.91 60ft). Keep in mind this was at 5500ft above sea level and was 8400 DA that day, this would equal out to a high 12 second car at sea level. With your set up a larger carb would help out. I went from a 600cfm edelbrock to a 950DP holley and it went from 95mph to 98mph instantly without no tuning or changes on anything else. That change is about 25-30hp gain by a simple carb swap. My timing is set at 38* advanced. With a few changes to your combo you will be seeing low 14s high 13s
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 05:33 PM

The 60 foot is good to get into the 13's with. The ET and MPH are indicating the engine is not producing at the end of the run. While the ignition might not be perfect, it is more likely fuel that needs attention.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 07:10 PM

Gears and carb are definitely in its future but not right now. Life demands more thoughtful spending these days.

With the swell of information now it's time to play more with the dist and timing. Sounds like the car is not too far off. Appears all the information needed has been posted so I'll print it out and work through it.
Perhaps the most beneficial trial is a much different carb. Who has a 750 DP laying around?

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 08:57 PM

Quote:

Who has a 750 DP laying around?

Throwing street use out the window?

A DP is the last carb you need on the street. It'll suck fuel like no tomorrow. Every time the pedal moves they shoot fuel on both sides.
You should be able to tune a single pump carb to perform perfectly on that kind of engine. The second pump shooter is best saved for the bracket guys.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 09:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A DP is the last carb you need on the street. It'll suck fuel like no tomorrow. Every time the pedal moves they shoot fuel on both sides.

Wrong... The linkage is still progressive. Stay out of the secondaries and you'll be fine. I daily drove my dart for years with the 340 and a 4150 750. The car ran 12.30@107 and would get 15MPG @3600# with 3.91 gears and 26" tire. BUT, I dont think the carb is the issue, its probably multitude of things making this a mismatched/ underperforming combo.

The OP needs to weigh that thing before we get into too much detail. Yes MPH seems low, but that car could be pretty heavy which would explain most of that.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 09:25 PM

Quote:

I daily drove my dart for years with the 340 and a 4150 750. The car ran 12.30 @107 and would get 15MPG @3600# with 3.91 gears and 26" tire.

Mine runs 12.40's at 107 with a 340, same carb, same gears, and 28" tall tire and gets 14MPG.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong... The linkage is still progressive. Stay out of the secondaries and you'll be fine.

Touch the secondaries (easy to do when entering the highway and such) and you're sucking down fuel.
Again, the DP carbs are best left to racers. A *GASP* vacuum secondary carb would be more than enough for this setup.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 09:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I daily drove my dart for years with the 340 and a 4150 750. The car ran 12.30 @107 and would get 15MPG @3600# with 3.91 gears and 26" tire.

Mine runs 12.40's at 107 with a 340, same carb, same gears, and 28" tall tire and gets 14MPG.

Mine had a twin turbocharged blow through carbed 440 with 3.23 gears and a 28" tire. It got 17 mpg. Adding the EFI maintained the mpg but added drivability.

It's all about the combo.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 10:00 PM

Mine has great driveabilty on the street, and I'm perfectly fine with 14MPG. It's a toy, not a daily driver.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 10:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong... The linkage is still progressive. Stay out of the secondaries and you'll be fine. I daily drove my dart for years with the 340 and a 4150 750. The car ran [Email]12.30@107[/Email] and would get 15MPG @3600# with 3.91 gears and 26" tire. BUT, I dont think the carb is the issue, its probably multitude of things making this a mismatched/ underperforming combo.

The OP needs to weigh that thing before we get into too much detail. Yes MPH seems low, but that car could be pretty heavy which would explain most of that.

BINGO!

Drive a DP with any sense of what you are doing and mileage is not an issue. If you have a lead foot and always mat it from a light, mileage will stink. It's all in the right foot.

13.60-104, 20 mpg on the highway with a 4779 750dp. It got 14-15 around town...

My guess, OP needs to fix the initial timing, bushing, springs FIRST! Don't do anything else until you get that sorted out.

Vacuum carbs easily give up 2 tenths at the track compared to a DP.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 10:55 PM

Still helpful to give us the track and date, and car weight when you get it.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 10:56 PM

I think we also need to know what the DA was at the time of the run. If you tell me the track, date, and time, I'll punch it into the website I posted above. 5000 DA? 0 DA? We don't know, makes a big difference.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/01/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

I think we also need to know what the DA was at the time of the run. If you tell me the track, date, and time, I'll punch it into the website I posted above. 5000 DA? 0 DA? We don't know, makes a big difference.

You mean it'd make a difference if he was running at Pikes Peak?

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/02/13 01:58 AM

Quote:

Still helpful to give us the track and date, and car weight when you get it.

I'll get the weight this week. The run was on 9/28/13 at Mountainpark Dragway in Clay City, KY at about 4:00 PM.
Keep in mind the dist is fully electronic. No weights or manual adjustments. Everything is controlled by pods.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/02/13 02:07 AM

OK, cool. Your DA at 4 pm that day was 1919 feet.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/02/13 03:13 AM

Quote:

OK, cool. Your DA at 4 pm that day was 1919 feet.

Yep that's some terrible DA.

That car I referenced the DA was in the 6K ft range...

So you have a ready to run distributor or e-curve with the circuit board? What settings are the switches?

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/02/13 04:23 AM

At least with my post getting his DA figured out, he has some data to factor in with the weight of his car (when he gets it).

Then he will have some actual numbers to plug into some online calculators and not just have to listen to a bunch of "my completely different car (except for the small block part) did this ET or my friend's completely different car (except for the small block part) did that ET so your car should do this ET" which is mostly what he's been getting on this thread (unless you want to count the vac. secondary vs DP arguments too). Not real helpful to the OP in my opinion.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/02/13 05:00 AM

Quote:

At least with my post getting his DA figured out, he has some data to factor in with the weight of his car (when he gets it).

Then he will have some actual numbers to plug into some online calculators and not just have to listen to a bunch of "my completely different car (except for the small block part) did this ET or my friend's completely different car (except for the small block part) did that ET so your car should do this ET" which is mostly what he's been getting on this thread (unless you want to count the vac. secondary vs DP arguments too). Not real helpful to the OP in my opinion.

Plenty of good info in this thread if you sift through it. Like most threads, rarely a definitive answer to any substantive questions.

I was poking at the people saying DA was a factor in how poorly the car was running. I guess that's a non factor now.

Estimates on what this engine should be making are laughable. 300hp, PLEASE!!!

If a comparison to a car that has less engine in it, running 10-12mph faster in 4K worse DA isn't something to think about, then have at it. And please, the extra weight will slow the car about 4-5 mph.

Maybe the alleged smart people in this thread can sort out the issues why this car runs 8-10mph slower than it should. I know where I would start!

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/02/13 05:14 PM

Just watched a very simple video on the MSD e-curve dist. They have to be set up backwards from normal centrifical dists and I was not doing that. Armed with a little more info on the dist I now need to figure out what the engine is looking with the timing then see about fuel delivery.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/03/13 01:54 AM

Quote:

The car weighed in at 3950# and at the track with the driver that means 4110#.

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/03/13 02:04 AM

holy crap...what do they put in those B-bodies? Cement?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/03/13 04:08 AM

I'm not sure that I have said this or not but if I hadn't your car runs well for what it is

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/03/13 04:28 AM

..and to all those who doubted my prediction of a '72 Charger's weight...

Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/03/13 05:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You should be able to tune a single pump carb to perform perfectly on that kind of engine. The second pump shooter is best saved for the bracket guys.

Dude! You're so right there!
A well tuned 3310 can work well at what I call "Trying to straddle the fence" & is easier to tune tire spin in & out.
Do some gears & put that car on a manageable diet

You can wiggle weight out out of it here & there
Posted By: moper

Re: Please rate time slip for street car - 10/03/13 12:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The car weighed in at 3950# and at the track with the driver that means 4110#.

4100lbs, 94 mph = 315 crank hp give or take one's conversion for crank hp from rear wheel. For that cam, I'd say it's close. Even with good heads and spot on tuning I don't think it would make 1hp/cubic inch with that camshaft.
© 2024 Moparts Forums