Moparts

Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options?

Posted By: 340SIX

Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 09/28/13 07:19 AM

Is it just the costly gear vender's unit added to. The old 727
OR Cut the 727 add a special hub-bell and converter on your old trans? That is after you cut the original hub/bell off you old trans right?
Any other options that are easy and less $$?
If not I know why guys git 360 and stick a 518 in
Anyone?
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 09/28/13 09:18 AM

If I wanted a 518 behind a bigblock I would do the bell-cutoff thing and have the old 727 bellhousing rewelded to the 518-housing.
The aftermarket JW bellhousing which simply bolts to the original pumpbolts doesn't seem 'right' to me, although it's probably a non-issue since I've never read about any issues with that.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 09/28/13 10:52 AM

Quote:

If I wanted a 518 behind a bigblock I would do the bell-cutoff thing and have the old 727 bellhousing rewelded to the 518-housing.

I imagine getting that done and properly lined up would cost as much as a JW Ultrabell.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 09/28/13 02:13 PM

I have a 518 here waiting for its call to service. But, according to another post here, the conversion bell housings are back ordered big time.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 09/28/13 04:26 PM

These guys have been doing them for years:

http://dbqtranztk.com/

Give Tim a call and he will set you straight!
Posted By: HMcCandless_Jr

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/01/13 12:55 PM

My dad has done 2 of them one with the JW Ultrabell and one where they cut the case off and welded a big block case to the 518 back, its a great way to go as you can run the overdrive and get the motor down to 1500 rpm at 60mph with a 355. Message me if you have any questions.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/01/13 03:11 PM

Quote:

Great guy to talk to. Lots of information about Mopar transmissions.
you supply a empty 727 case(only needs the bellhousing), a core A500 42RH transmission, your car to install it in and roughly $3600. +/- and You drive it home! Overdrive and Lockup.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/01/13 03:18 PM

What about the JVXRACING.COM Adapter plate.
If I read correctly, they make a thin adapter plate to bolt a A518 directly to a Big Block with the required spacers to keep the Starter, Converter and Ring Gear all in the correct location?
P.S. John Vinson will answer any questions you have.
His adapter sells for $675. His Heavy Duty In-house Built Transmission for $2200. and the Base lock-up converters (aprox 2800rpm stall) start at $450. +
Quite a bit of mods required to the trans cross member area and of-course shorten the drive shaft.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/03/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

I also have one of Tim's a500's behind my turbo 383.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/03/13 09:24 PM

I have one buddy that did an adapter plate(unsure of source) that put a 518 behind his 440 6 pack...works awesome!! I have another buddy that runs an Ultrabell in a low 8 sec. nitrous door car without issue. Either should work just fine!!
Posted By: feets

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/03/13 09:49 PM

Quote:

The aftermarket JW bellhousing which simply bolts to the original pumpbolts doesn't seem 'right' to me, although it's probably a non-issue since I've never read about any issues with that.

The UltraBell has an SFI rating. That means it's been tested and passed.
Posted By: tpabayflyer

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/04/13 01:00 AM

Ultrabell bellhousings for BB mopar will not be available until next hear at the earliest....
They are changing foundries and the change will take time so they say.... I hope they are not coming over on a slow boat from china?? Soooooo... I guess I have to chomp up my spare 727 for the bellhoising to install on my A-518....... Anybody have any pointers on how to do this reasonably accurately??
Posted By: drew72

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/04/13 02:13 AM

Hoping for a good answer here.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/04/13 05:19 AM

There is this one. I think they were the first.

http://www.jvxracing.com/Adapters.htm

edit Oops beat to the draw.

Kevin
Posted By: chargerbr549

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/09/13 03:33 AM

Here is a link on welding the bellhousing from a 727 to an A518, the guys name is GregCon he apparently built a jig to do this accurately.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=6077119&page=0
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/09/13 09:38 PM

can you put the 518 guts and tailshaft on a 727 case??
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/09/13 11:07 PM

The OD tailshaft will not bolt to the 3 speed case.
Posted By: VincentVega

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/09/13 11:18 PM

given the desire for something like this, it's amazing there aren't more favorable options by now.

Or maybe there isn't that much demand after all? It does require cash and floor modification.
Posted By: feets

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/09/13 11:26 PM

Quote:

given the desire for something like this, it's amazing there aren't more favorable options by now.

Or maybe there isn't that much demand after all? It does require cash and floor modification.

There are several options but none of them are easy on the wallet.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/10/13 01:49 AM

The easiest and possibly least costly/hassle is 727 with Gear vendors. From there you have the 518 unit which was behind the a-motors, diesels and v10. Next would be the Kiesler gm based unit or the gm based unit from TCI. Big bucks on those two. On the 518, depending on what year you use and preferably 95 and older, you have lock up converters or non lock up. The non lock up was used on the v8's I believe till 90 or 91 and on the diesel till 93. Past 94 they are all lockup. A custom lockup converter will be more dough than non of course. You don't want to use a reman stocker. Hand grenade in waiting. If you find a diesel or v10 unit, thay have heavier duty internals on the planetaries, drums, more clutches[ like a hemi] on all packs. You can update the v8 trans with these parts but its an added expense. Lock up trans will require two switches to operate the lock up and od, non lockup just need one for lock up. 96 on trans is full electronic and expensive to retrofit because it need a stand alone trans controller. Pick your poison. I went 727 w/gv.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/10/13 03:13 AM

wilcap adapters www.wilcap.com sells adapters to put a GM trans behind a BB mopar. You can use this to put a GM 700r4 or a 200-4r behind a BB mopar. The GM transmissions are pretty wimpy in stock form but they can be built, and they are small enough to not make you do torsion bar mods.

I'm putting a t56 6-speed in mine. Quicktime makes a bellhousing for around 600 bucks. The swap will require floor pan and crossmember mods and not be easy on the wallet either.
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/10/13 06:22 AM

Over $3grand for them to do a swap you can do with the Ultra bell for less than a grand. That's bell a good used trans and drive shaft shortening. Id rather save money. Im planning an ultra bell/518 swap in the future bit That's when money allows. Im helping hp383 with a swap. Its been slow as he live over 90miles from me and I now have a 4month old little girl but hope to have it pretty well close to done given no issues or Racoons arise again next weekend. 93 Ramcharger with a 440/518 and 3/4ton axles
Posted By: mike s

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/10/13 06:47 AM

Best way I have seen.PATC. You do have to cut part of the block off and use their adapter but this conversion looks to be more reasonably priced.Usual driveshaft and rear mount mods.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/10/13 11:04 AM

Quote:

The easiest and possibly least costly/hassle is 727 with Gear vendors.

From a $$$ standpoint this is not true, I know I just did it on my Duster 2 years ago. Even if I were utilizing it on a big block with an ultrabell it still would be cheaper than a gear vendors unit.

Purchased a core trans from salvage yard, rebuilt it, shift kit, larger front drum and aluminum servo piston from ebay, convertor from Hughes and had the driveshaft shortened = still cheaper than GV.

Better OD ratio with lockup to boot, works great. GV will be less work since you just have to replace the tailshaft on the 727, some wiring and get the driveshaft shortened.
Posted By: tpabayflyer

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/10/13 08:59 PM

I don't think I will attempt welding a new bell housing on..... Looking at the JVX adapter now......... TBF
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: Over Drive Trans in a Big Block Mopar options? - 10/11/13 04:14 AM

I've read that it is not real difficult to make an adapter plate for a transmission swap. If a person can find a machine shop with reasonable rates, they may be able to make one for a reasonable price. I've never looked into this personally, but I know a man had a local shop make an adapter plate for him. I have NO idea on how much it cost.

A second idea that may work for a cruiser type of car is to use the 833OD transmission. These transmissions aren't real strong, but they are fairly easy to adapt. (No modifications to the car are needed if the car is already set up for a manual transmission)
© 2024 Moparts Forums