Moparts

Flipping Spring Shackles

Posted By: 69rrgrabber

Flipping Spring Shackles - 09/27/13 03:15 AM

In an attempt to lower a 69 Charger in the rear, I was thinking of flipping the rear leaf spring shackles. Has any one tried this and does it alter the rear end geometry any? These are the factory stock 440 springs which I have apart and am about to install.

Car has a dana 60, pinion snubber, auto , 440.

Thanks
C
Posted By: kilroy

Re: Flipping Spring Shackles - 09/27/13 03:20 AM

Yes and Yes,

My 73 charger I had to grind holes a little bit but I lost Almost 2" and about 1 1/2º of pinion angle.

Well worth it, Ill try to find before and after pics just a minute.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Flipping Spring Shackles - 09/27/13 03:23 AM

You don't need to hog out the holes in the frame if you buy spring hangers with the second eye hole.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Flipping Spring Shackles - 09/27/13 03:24 AM

The spring hangers have a 4 bolt pattern. The top 2 bolts are closer together than the bottom 2, so the bracket flip is not a direct swap. I've seen some hog out the mounting holes, but to me that seems cheesy and unsafe. Add to this the fact that this alters the pinion angle of the differential. You may end up with a vibration that you didn't have before. I would really suggest that you do not alter the mounting holes.
This is the part where I have to suggest that you have the leaves REarched or to just use a lowering block.
One idea that might be a better way: Check out the spring hangers from AR Engineering. They bolt in like stock but have 2 mounting holes to allow different ride heights.

Re: Flipping Spring Shackles - 09/27/13 03:39 AM

If you dont plan on flipping them back there is nothing cheesy about it, the hanger CANT move because you widen two holes and narrow two holes, NO WAY for it to move. Of course it modifies the pinion angle what would be cheesy is if you didnt check your pinion angle if you came up with vibration or weren't for sure.

Now that being said the Purchase products will work great without modifying the car, but they will still mod your pinion angle regardless.

Re: Flipping Spring Shackles - 09/27/13 03:49 AM

Sorry man I dont have any really good previous pictures to compare the two mods and an after pic wouldnt do you much different because of the year difference but anyways it was worth it and cheap but everyone brings up good points... It wont look cheesy that I can say for sure. Most of our street cars need a little drop to get the wheels into the fenders slightly.
Posted By: 69rrgrabber

Re: Flipping Spring Shackles - 09/27/13 07:19 AM

I completely forgot that the studs are spaced differently. I don't want to alter the bolt holes for this and will look at the aftermarket parts. Is there any mod that can lower the car without changing the pinion angle?

Thanks,
C
Posted By: skicker

Re: Flipping Spring Shackles - 09/27/13 12:57 PM

I used SS springs on my 70 when I built it. With the 30 in tall back tires the car just set too high for me. I used the 2 hole front spring hangers and lowered it that way and it still wasn't enough. I ended up installing a pair of 1 1/2" lowering blocks too. I'm happy with the end result. Lowering blocks will not change the pinion angle but it is also a crutch. Best thing to do is have the springs arched to give you the ride height you want without changing all the factory settings. Its all in what you want to spend and how you want it to perform.

Attached picture 7867508-0901121432a.jpg
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Flipping Spring Shackles - 09/27/13 01:06 PM

I flipped mine many years ago.....zero issues. The pinion angle will have to be checked and probably shimmed(mine needed shims).
© 2024 Moparts Forums