Moparts

Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed !

Posted By: 67coronetman

Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/23/13 04:55 AM

I am changing back to a automatic 727 in my street car. So any good ideas i want a good stout street / strip trans but want more than just a stock rebuild since my car is 600 hp hp.

Attached picture 7862395-IMG_20120514_174943.jpg
Posted By: ademon

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/23/13 05:14 AM

Call a good trans shop like cope. and a hi 4500rpm stall is a lot of fun!!!
Posted By: Jeff_383

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/23/13 05:06 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOO! If you do, are you selling off 4 speed parts?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/23/13 05:14 PM

Why are you converting back?

Coan trans has built me 2 727s in the last 7 years and both have been great trans for $600 bucks each plus a core. Handles my bb easy and has lasted 7 years so far. I'm using there convertor also.

I used Coan because I raced with them and was able to drive up to there shop and pickup and drop off my core. Got a tour of the shop also while I was there, great people IMO.
Posted By: closer9

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/24/13 01:49 AM

I would be more than willing to swap you all my auto setup for your manual. Just a stock 727 with a shift kit though...

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/24/13 11:30 AM

yes i will be all as a setup there is alot more to mine its built to take the power my motor puts out. Plus mine has so much more to it lots of extras but i am not going to seperate it. All goes as a package deal.
Posted By: Plum440

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/25/13 01:29 AM

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard!
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/25/13 03:04 AM

4 Speed vs Torqueflite such a hard choice
Posted By: moparmetal

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/25/13 03:11 AM

Just sent you a PM. Thanks!

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/25/13 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info i have talked to them but still searching.

Quote:

Call a good trans shop like cope. and a hi 4500rpm stall is a lot of fun!!!

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/25/13 09:16 PM

Thanks i talked to them at length seem very nice & helpful like what they had to say.

Quote:

Why are you converting back?

Coan trans has built me 2 727s in the last 7 years and both have been great trans for $600 bucks each plus a core. Handles my bb easy and has lasted 7 years so far. I'm using there convertor also.

I used Coan because I raced with them and was able to drive up to there shop and pickup and drop off my core. Got a tour of the shop also while I was there, great people IMO.

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 09/25/13 09:18 PM

I left you a voice message.!

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/14/13 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies i have traded my setup for a killer trans & stall & flex plate.. still looking for a cheetah scs shifter...

Quote:

I am changing back to a automatic 727 in my street car. So any good ideas i want a good stout street / strip trans but want more than just a stock rebuild since my car is 600 hp hp.

Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/14/13 02:56 PM

Quote:

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard!

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/14/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't trade him unless you want junk

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/14/13 04:59 PM

I think it will be fine he is a good friend and it was in a 70 coronet with a big block all steel full interior and ran 10:68 in the 1/4 not bad plus its being completely rebuild for me with all the quality racing clutches & bands & lots more upgrades.!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't trade him unless you want junk

Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/15/13 06:27 PM

I guess some people don't like to shift?

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/16/13 12:52 AM

Yes sir that would be me........... lol

Quote:

I guess some people don't like to shift?

Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/16/13 10:19 AM

Smart move! 4-speed to Auto = Fewer broken parts, more consistency and faster times!

The only ones that think a 4-speed is faster are folks who have never actually raced a car before and after such a switch.
Posted By: BB65Barracuda

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/16/13 12:05 PM

Quote:

Smart move! 4-speed to Auto = Fewer broken parts, more consistency and faster times!

The only ones that think a 4-speed is faster are folks who have never actually raced a car before and after such a switch.

I love my Auto's!
Both my Hemi car and my Drag car have them!
I did a 4 speed swap on my 68 cuda 2 years ago, It ran great and was a lota fun.
Its hard to be consistent at the track with a 4 speed, I guess you need to be a really good driver.

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/20/13 12:03 AM

Yes sir i agree.!

Quote:

Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/20/13 12:56 AM

Quote:

And Ronnie Sox

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/20/13 04:21 AM

This man was the exception to the rule.! .....

And Ronnie Sox

Quote:

Quote:

And Ronnie Sox

Posted By: 383man

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/20/13 08:40 AM

Quote:

I am glad I went with a auto in my 63 street/strip car because as was said it breaks way less parts and is just as fast as it would be with a stick. And I loved racing a four speed car years ago as I was very consisdent even with the 4-speed but that car was slower then my 63 and broke many more parts. Not bragging but I was pretty good with a stick car as my brother also said I thought I was Ronnie Sox. But on my budget I am so glad I went with the auto since I race my car sometimes. If you dont plan to put slicks on the car and dont plan to race it then the stick should be easy on the drivetrain Ron
Posted By: DGS

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/20/13 10:42 AM

Theoretically the 4-speed should yield an advantage over the auto as it has a lower first gear (2.66 vs 2.45) and less drive train loss (not sure on the numbers but I heard 5% vs 10-15%).

However shifting as fast as an auto is quite challenging..

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 12:57 PM

Me to i am glad i went back to a Auto....

Quote:

Quote:

I am glad I went with a auto in my 63 street/strip car because as was said it breaks way less parts and is just as fast as it would be with a stick. And I loved racing a four speed car years ago as I was very consisdent even with the 4-speed but that car was slower then my 63 and broke many more parts. Not bragging but I was pretty good with a stick car as my brother also said I thought I was Ronnie Sox. But on my budget I am so glad I went with the auto since I race my car sometimes. If you dont plan to put slicks on the car and dont plan to race it then the stick should be easy on the drivetrain Ron

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 12:58 PM

Very well put.

Quote:

Theoretically the 4-speed should yield an advantage over the auto as it has a lower first gear (2.66 vs 2.45) and less drive train loss (not sure on the numbers but I heard 5% vs 10-15%).

However shifting as fast as an auto is quite challenging..

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 01:01 PM

Each has there own opinion & likes i prefer a auto over a 4-speed just as other like a 400 over a 440 or a small block over a big block so far the goverment has not taking that as of yet.! ....

Quote:

Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 01:47 PM

I grew up on sticks. Auto's are great for racing but for fun driving on cruise nights and at shows you can't beat a stick! I'm lucky to have both now.

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 02:42 PM

Yes sir i agree with that saying a stick is just so cool shifting thru the gears it sounds awesome and people look to when your going thru the gears... ! I guess i would say i wanted to go back for the racing part & for the ease of operation & no need to clutch it anymore like in a 4-speed plus i am really a automatic man.....:)

Quote:

I grew up on sticks. Auto's are great for racing but for fun driving on cruise nights and at shows you can't beat a stick! I'm lucky to have both now.

Posted By: 493DRIVER

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 05:28 PM

racing it with a automatic is easier on the parts & most of the time more consistent but I always wanted a 440 six pack dana pistol grip 4 spd! I like to drive it more then race it anyhow more fun & cheaper

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 06:15 PM

Yes it is that is why i will see you tomorrow.......Lol.

Quote:

racing it with a automatic is easier on the parts & most of the time more consistent but I always wanted a 440 six pack dana pistol grip 4 spd! I like to drive it more then race it anyhow more fun & cheaper

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 07:07 PM

Yes Sir it is

Attached picture 7931715-WOODWARD2013&LOCAL259.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 11:14 PM

Also the torque converter has torque multiplication that helps putting torque to the ground and helps the auto be as fast as a stick car even if it has one less gear on the average. I enjoy driving my 63 with the auto because I have a manual shift valve body and that lets me enjoy it more. Ron

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/21/13 11:56 PM

Yes it does and like you that is what i have a manual reverse valve body low applied with the billet servo up grade plus lots more good stuff.

Quote:

Also the torque converter has torque multiplication that helps putting torque to the ground and helps the auto be as fast as a stick car even if it has one less gear on the average. I enjoy driving my 63 with the auto because I have a manual shift valve body and that lets me enjoy it more. Ron

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/24/13 02:56 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to scott & jerry very good friends and great mopar people thanks for the trade and all you did...:)

Quote:

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/24/13 11:37 PM

your welcome Mark I cant wait to get this 4spd in, im looking forward to this install.
thanks again for everything keep me up dated

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/25/13 12:06 AM

I will and you do the same my friend...
Posted By: LAR_414

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/26/13 03:40 PM

Scott, You're going to love it. The absolute best change that I ever made to my car....going to a 4 speed.

When you race it, there is nothing like letting the clutch out and shifting those gears.

Great upgrade.

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/28/13 03:18 AM

Thanks Larry, always wanted a hand shaker
loved watching your dad launch & stab & grab @ the track I too think it was good move be cruising it & racing it, but going to take me some getting use to and it will be slower with me driving anyhow!! still have some figuring out like my column, shifter long pistol grip or a short gear grabber, diaphragm plate or 3 finger style, hooking up the hydrologic clutch but that half the fun

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/28/13 02:42 PM

Thanks again scott it was great having you & jerry here i hope all is well with you and jerry have a great thanksgivng and if i can do anything to help you with the install call me plus after thanksgiving i will dig up all the pictures i have & email them to you and let jerry know his gears will be out & shipped very soon..:)

God bless you & your family.

Oh yes i found the shift i wanted.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Quote:

your welcome Mark I cant wait to get this 4spd in, im looking forward to this install.
thanks again for everything keep me up dated

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 11/28/13 03:11 PM

Thanks Mark I will give you a ring a soon I get started on the install, I need to get heat in the garage first LOL! I will let Jerry know

Happy Thanksgiving GOD bless to you & family

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/02/13 03:23 PM

Scott,
What are you going to go with, for a clutch setup?

Start a new thread in the race section if you want. We can all throw our opinions out there.

Larry

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/02/13 06:59 PM

I ain't scott but he got a clutch & two pressure plates the clutch he got from me was a street slayer clutch from American powertrain.. Plus i had two very heavy duty built pressure plates made.

Quote:

Scott,
What are you going to go with, for a clutch setup?

Start a new thread in the race section if you want. We can all throw our opinions out there.

Larry

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/03/13 02:11 AM

Yes I was going to use the street slayer clutch & the 3 finger borg & beck pressure plate he had made, he has a big block with SR heads flowing 330 in a B body so I figure it should work in mine. my car is heavier then Marks.

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/03/13 02:32 PM

When my dad and I bought a guy's stash of 18 spline stuff, I just used an old Hays B&B and Ram bronze puck disc that came with the transmissions. I figured, that we bought it and we had it. Gave me a chance to drive it around and see what I liked or didn't like.

Then I found that the pressure plate was not flat and burned up the disc after a bunch of abuse by me.

Either way, now I know what I want and what feel and I bought a brand new B&B / Long style McLeod disc that you can even add counter weight to. I got a McLeod 600 series disc. This setup is supposed to be good to over 650hp and guys are running even more than that. Very Very streetable, as that weighs even more heavily to me!

Scott, you're doing it right. So try out what you have and go from there!

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/03/13 04:12 PM

American Powertrain said the street slayer clutch is rated at 800 hp & 800 ft tq and i will say it never failed to hook for me period and you can call them they where very helpful...

Quote:

Yes I was going to use the street slayer clutch & the 3 finger borg & beck pressure plate he had made, he has a big block with SR heads flowing 330 in a B body so I figure it should work in mine. my car is heavier then Marks.

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/05/13 12:33 AM

That's awesome that you guys got together here on moparts and made a trade that worked for both guys. I wish that I were on the 4 speed end!!!!

I've got a fresh 727 and PTC Converter being put together if any of you other joes wanna go the TF route!!!! both units, I pay shipping!!!!

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/05/13 01:45 AM

There is a guy on forbbodiesonly.com that is looking to do the same i have no idea what his stuff is like..

Quote:

That's awesome that you guys got together here on moparts and made a trade that worked for both guys. I wish that I were on the 4 speed end!!!!

I've got a fresh 727 and PTC Converter being put together if any of you other joes wanna go the TF route!!!! both units, I pay shipping!!!!

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/05/13 04:40 AM

Thanks Larry, i'll keep you guys posted as I work on it. it did work out well trading my TF for his 4spd Mark is a good guy met him through one of my friends, Mark ended up with my friends 66 satellite is how we hooked up. I got lot work still need to pull center out of dana to repair posi or put a spool in it? & redo my fuel sending unit may try 1/2 unit instead of a sump in my tank.

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/06/13 11:51 PM

Back at you my friend .. So is it all in and going did u do a bigggggggggg burnout....... Lol.
No but really how is it going.

Quote:

Thanks Larry, i'll keep you guys posted as I work on it. it did work out well trading my TF for his 4spd Mark is a good guy met him through one of my friends, Mark ended up with my friends 66 satellite is how we hooked up. I got lot work still need to pull center out of dana to repair posi or put a spool in it? & redo my fuel sending unit may try 1/2 unit instead of a sump in my tank.

Posted By: roe

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/07/13 11:20 AM

Im glad it all worked out for you guys with the trade. I too prefer automatics and have on in my cruiser and daily drivers.

I learned how to drive a stick when I was about 14. Now Im 28 and havent driven once since until a couple of days ago. I was rusty at first but it came back pretty quickly. Now Im thinking that I want a little beater just so I can enjoy shifting gears again. It was fun!!!

roe

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/07/13 03:14 PM

Yes sir it is lots of fun and i really enjoyed it while i had it i guess you could say i have always been a Automatic man yes it would be fun to have a beater car to go thru the gears. Yea jerry & scott are really good guys for sure..

Quote:

Im glad it all worked out for you guys with the trade. I too prefer automatics and have on in my cruiser and daily drivers.

I learned how to drive a stick when I was about 14. Now Im 28 and havent driven once since until a couple of days ago. I was rusty at first but it came back pretty quickly. Now Im thinking that I want a little beater just so I can enjoy shifting gears again. It was fun!!!

roe

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/09/13 03:41 AM

Nope its bin to cold I need to get some heat in my garage, I did get the 70 pedals bead blasted & painted and back together greased ready to go in.
i'm starting on the column next.

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/09/13 06:03 AM

Awesome i got my floor al welded up & the trans & stall in so far..

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/10/13 01:47 AM

Nice don't have much more to do, shifter & gears & you will be ready

Re: Converting back to a 727 trans from my 4-speed ! - 12/10/13 04:56 AM

Almost i put the brake pedal back in today & the starter & ground strap.should have trans lines in by weeks end i hope and all ran just figuring how i want them plus waiting on shifter to be pulled from the car and shipped to me may be after the first of the year..
© 2024 Moparts Forums