Moparts

big block MP steel shim head gaskets, any issues?

Posted By: RapidRobert

big block MP steel shim head gaskets, any issues? - 05/25/08 05:56 PM

Do these seal OK? & would a thin coat or 2 of alum paint or copper coat help them seal better. Going on a mild 9-10 to 1 streeet engine. Thank you for your time.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: big block MP steel shim head gaskets, any issues? - 05/25/08 06:04 PM

As long as your surfaces are smooth and not too rough they will seal great--some shops go with too much RA and then ya got trouble--I forget what the RA needs to be---most folks spray with Coppercoat or Spray Holomar---if you can feel anything with your fingernail on the surface pattern I would go with a 1009 Felpro or similar
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: big block MP steel shim head gaskets, any issues? - 05/25/08 06:17 PM

They must be good because they're the same head gaskets chrysler installed at the factory originally. The same head gaskets that are on my 440 to this day. Copper coat is good stuff and I use it, though it's not a requirement.

Re: big block MP steel shim head gaskets, any issues? - 05/25/08 06:35 PM

Alright I'm happy. I just nabbed a set on eGay before consulting with you guys first I will have the surfaces ground smooth & use copper coat. thanks guys.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: big block MP steel shim head gaskets, any issues? - 05/25/08 08:50 PM

I use Permatex High Tack on mine.
Posted By: 383man

Re: big block MP steel shim head gaskets, any issues? - 05/26/08 04:36 AM

I have used them alot over the years. The last set was on a 452 headed 383. I sprayed some High Tac sealer on them and they worked fine with no leaks. Rob

Re: big block MP steel shim head gaskets, any issues? - 05/26/08 05:03 AM

alright I will use permatex high tack PS is that the (red) spray? If so I have a can.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: big block MP steel shim head gaskets, any issues? - 05/27/08 02:41 PM

Back in the day the usual installatioon was to spray them with aluminum paint and install them still tacky. I have used them dry with no problems. The factory installations sure as heck used them dry!
R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums