Moparts

Positive Ground?

Posted By: Anonymous

Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 01:43 AM

I did a search but didn't find anything that answered the following question:

What years, if any, did D/D/C/P vehicles have electrical systems with a positive ground?

Thanks in advance for the help, guys. (I have a 12 pack wager with a buddy!)

~Matt
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 01:46 AM

Without researching I'm guessing, but I don't believe any Mopar or other American made car had positive ground. Thinking it was strictly European.
Edit: Uh oh, I googled. I may be wrong
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 01:50 AM

believe old old Fords did
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 01:52 AM

Quote:

Too bad he didn't ask about Frods.

When Chrysler had 6V crs they were all positive gtound.

I believe, not 100% sure though, that the switch to negative ground happened in coincidence with the switch to 12V.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 01:56 AM

Quote:

1956 was the turning point for Ford to neg. ground. 1955 & down pos ground.

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 01:59 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks a LOT for the quick replies.

(my buddy owes ME a 12 pack!)

Posted By: cornucopia

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 02:04 AM

Quote:

Without researching I'm guessing, but I don't believe any Mopar or other American made car had positive ground. Thinking it was strictly European.
Edit: Uh oh, I googled. I may be wrong

international trucks in 1951/52 had a positive ground with, as I recal, a 6 or 9 volt system. we had one as a trash truck when I worked in the small engine shop back in the 80s...we would junp it with a 12 volt battery and man would it turn over QUICK!

the 1967 'White' backhoe we had at my previous cemetery was a positive ground also...
Posted By: JOES4FORTY

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 04:01 AM

Those old American LaFrance Fire Engines had positive ground on them. Dangerous to jump start and charge with a charger if you didn't know that.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 04:59 AM

Cars from Oz! Them and their unslanted six!
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 05:14 AM

My dad's 51 hudson hornet is pos ground too.

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 05:34 AM

Many old 6V cars were pos. ground. Back when "we" used generators, many regulators were sold as pos or neg. ground. The only real difference in regulators is the contact structure--to prevent arcing. Some replacement aftermarket regulators had contacts that could be used either way

When you replaced a generator, you "flashed" it to magnitise it correctly for whatever polarity. I believe some weird trucks (dunnooo, White?) were 12V pos ground. In the two-way radio market, some older radios were built for either pos. or neg, and you can still buy a pos to neg inverter/ converter.

It's too darn bad that when the car makers went 12, they didn't keep going to at least 24V. Smaller wire--less amperage--solves a LOT of wiring / voltage drop problems.

Many log trucks/ highway tractors used to use a 12/24V solenoid--24V for startup. They are a wiring nightmare.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 06:11 AM

just about every 6V car I've seen used a positive ground.

I also have personal experience that Packard used a 12V positive ground from somewhere in the early 50s to 1955. they made the switch to negative ground in 1956.

I had to be VERY AWARE of what I was doing, when hooking the battery charger up from car to car, when you have 1955 Packard carribean convertible sitting next to a 1956 Packard carribean convertible, and they look damn near identical!
Posted By: 69DartGT

Re: Positive Ground? - 12/15/08 06:28 PM

I have an old Motor's Manual and it show's 53-56 as postive grounds. BTW they were 6 volt..
© 2024 Moparts Forums