Moparts

TF-2 Shift Kit Question

Posted By: mopowers

TF-2 Shift Kit Question - 09/13/13 12:56 AM

I'm almost done installing a TF2 shift kit in my 727. The last step has me installing a new spring and spacer on the low-reverse piston.

My question is- Can I take out the low-reverse band adjusting arm with the transmission in the car? It looks like the pin that the arm pivots on is held in by the tailshaft housing... Do I have to take the tailshaft housing off to complete the last step of this shift kit???

Seems like a lot of work to modify the low-reverse band piston.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: TF-2 Shift Kit Question - 09/13/13 01:09 AM

You have to pull the pull the tail housing to get that pin out , if YOU think you might have a leak back there do it and replace the o ring on the shaft , put in 2 if the shaft has 2 grooves abd use RTV , otherwise you should be able to loosen the adjuster all the way and get the piston out . It's been some time that I did one of these to a trans that wasn't apart on my bench so I may be wrong, but the TF-2 instructions are centered on modifying a trans that is still installed in the car.

Re: TF-2 Shift Kit Question - 09/13/13 01:26 AM

Thanks! I just went through a TON of old threads about the TF2 kits. It looks like I can loosen the adjuster all the way and pry the band off without pushing the pin out. We'll see... Time to go finish this job. Who'd have though this kit would take all day to install...
Posted By: TJP

Re: TF-2 Shift Kit Question - 09/13/13 01:27 AM

If I remember correctly, loosening the LR band adjuster all the way,
will allow you to sneak up onto the band itself, (think long screwdriver)
And drop the band to linkage spacer out.
That will allow the linkage to swing down out of the way and then allow you to remover the LR piston/servo assy. Hope this makes sense and helps. Reverse the above to put the spacer back in. The spacer looks like a short piece of 1" or so strap steel.
Posted By: High Impact

Re: TF-2 Shift Kit Question - 09/13/13 01:56 AM

Here's how I got around that part. I simply removed all the bolts from the tail shaft then turned the tail shaft so that the pin wound come out far enought to get that arm out of the way. Got lucky and never had a leak when I put it all back together.
Posted By: stickman

Re: TF-2 Shift Kit Question - 09/13/13 02:29 AM

You don`t need to pull the rear housing. Do what tjp says.

Re: TF-2 Shift Kit Question - 09/13/13 04:35 AM

I was able to get it done with a couple screwdrivers and some choice bad words. Got it done though! Thanks guys.
© 2024 Moparts Forums