Moparts

how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking?

Posted By: hornetnut

how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/07/13 06:45 AM

i have a hemi scoop on my car and at about 112 mph it really looks like its going to come apart.. i've seen alot of scoops with two bars in the opening to hold it together, what do you guys use to do it?
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: pics of hood scoop fastners. - 09/08/13 02:01 AM

I have 4 in the front and along the sides I have bolts with some stainless strapping that I put some holes in that my bolts go through. I have a strap on the scoop and under the hood.

Attached picture 7843494-Dart7-9-08010.jpg
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: pics of hood scoop fastners. - 09/08/13 02:17 AM

Quote:

I have 4 in the front and along the sides I have bolts with some stainless strapping that I put some holes in that my bolts go through. I have a strap on the scoop and under the hood.

Nice looking scoop, who made it?

Re: pics of hood scoop fastners. - 09/08/13 02:19 AM

If I remember correctly it is an AAR piece.
Posted By: ev2mopar

Re: how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/08/13 02:53 AM

I had a Hemi hoodscoop in my street car and had the same issue.
I found aluminum tubing, polished it in my drill press, and cut it to 4 sections.
Each section of tube was secured by 4 long stainless screws and locknuts, from the topside of the scoop and the nuts on the inner hood side.
It wasn't the prettiest, bit it definently kept the scoop from wanting to (or at least looking like it was) blow off.
?
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/08/13 03:01 AM

Quote:

i have a hemi scoop on my car and at about 112 mph it really looks like its going to come apart.. i've seen alot of scoops with two bars in the opening to hold it together, what do you guys use to do it?

So who made your scoop .... With no t-nuts in the opening of said scoop ? ...I probably made 500 of those scoops and put at least 2 or as many as 6 supports in each scoop.

Re: how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/08/13 03:15 AM

I also put a piece of 1/8" aluminum right angle stock behind the front edge of the hood and fastened the front lower lip of the hood to it. That really cut down on the flexing. I actually have cracks in the front point of the hood from before I put the brace in.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/08/13 04:19 AM

I have a race weight lift off VFN that I put 3 aluminum tubes in as pictured above . I have fixed the small paint cracks twice in 35 years. The first time was soon after I got the hood and ran it down the quarter mile without the front bracing, as you stated, the scoop got very big. Once you put in the braces,the front of the scoop won't flex but the rest of the fiberglass will. If you want a fiberglass hood and drive the car you will get cracks , the same as corvettes and after market hoods are not even close in quality as the corvette.

Re: how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/08/13 06:19 AM

So who made your scoop .... With no t-nuts in the opening of said scoop ? ...I probably made 500 of those scoops and put at least 2 or as many as 6 supports in each scoop.

i bought it off of ebay, including shipping it was only 75 bucks.. i was really impressed with the quality of it, it is fiberglass and has a top coat that was nice enough that i didnt even paint it.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/08/13 06:49 AM

If your having problems at about 112 MPH, try only driveing at about 111 MPH ...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/08/13 06:56 AM

Quote:

If your having problems at about 112 MPH, try only driveing at about 111 MPH ...

They get really bigger above 125 MPH
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/08/13 07:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They get really bigger above 125 MPH

The RO/WO scoop on my shorty would start lifting around 75 till I put the 2 screws in it...

Re: how do you guys keep your hood scoop from breaking? - 09/08/13 07:09 AM

Quote:

If your having problems at about 112 MPH, try only driving at about 111 MPH ...

got a good laugh out of that one!! last time out it went 120... going again tomorrow with a 75 shot on it, so looking for a lil more, just went out and fabbed a couple of tubes and bolts that will hold it in place..
© 2024 Moparts Forums