Moparts

did my alignment guy get it wrong?

Posted By: mcmopars

did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 05:12 PM

camber was set to + 2.5. caster was -.5 when i got it home the wheels looked like they were leaning in at the top.i put a level on it and they are leaning in at the top towards the car.i thought pos camber was when the tire was leaning out at the top? or do i have it backwards?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 05:32 PM

Your guy got it wrong by a bunch Camber should be around .2 to .25 degree(can't remember if it should be negative or positive camber ), not 2.5 degrees Look up the alignment specs on Google or whatever is your favorite searcher and take the car back to him or someone better and get it aligned properly
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 05:54 PM

This is for alterktion, but gives you an idea as to what all this stuff should be adjusted to. Look towards the end in the Alignment tips section.

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/installation_manual.pdf
Posted By: therocks

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 06:01 PM

What kind of car?Bias or radial tires.The 2.5 camber is a lot.Bias and radial tires are 2 different specs.Rocky
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 06:07 PM

Tires leaning in at ther top is a matter of CAMBER, not CASTER. NEGATIVE camber is actually better for handling, especially with radial tires. Caster relates to the orientation of the upper and lower ball joints to each other and isn't detectable by sight. You can have zero camber (Tires plumb and level) and still have POS or NEG caster.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 06:08 PM

It's wrong, unless you told him to set it up for autocross.
Pay somebody else to get it right, and walk through the door with your desired specs in hand. Double-check to make sure they're right.
R.
Posted By: ahy

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 06:17 PM

Plus 2.5 degrees caster and minus .5 degree camber would be good specs in my book (for street handling). Negative camber would have the top of the tire leaning in a little bit so that sounds OK.

Are you sure caster and camber are not just mixed up on the report?

How does it drive? Positive caster tends to make the car stable going down the road. Negative caster would tend to make it "darty".
Posted By: 383man

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 06:24 PM

I like to give my car as much positive caster as I can as it handles better like that. And caster has nothing to do with tire wear. But to much makes the wheel harder to turn on manual steering. I believe stock specs for chamber are 0 to .5 but I would have to look up the specs to be sure. Camber can cause tire wear if to far out of specs. But I have not seen a car with camber set to factory specs where you could actually see the tire out to much at the top. Ron
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 06:40 PM

sorry got them backwards.caster was pos 2.5 i was watching him do it. then today looking at the car it looked like the tires were leaning in.the level proved it.all new front end.i checked the uca adjusters and they were tight.i wounder if it changed when he tightened the adjusters?
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/06/13 08:17 PM

1/2 neg camber is good. The shape of the fenders tends to exaggerate the look of the tire leaning in...
Posted By: beecrazy69

Re: did my alignment guy get it wrong? - 09/08/13 02:37 AM

If Camber is indeed -.5 and Caster is +2.5, then he knows what he is doing.

Those are good numbers for a street car and WAY better then the factory specs!!!!

Leaning in a bit at the top is good for handling and tire wear.

Don
© 2024 Moparts Forums