Moparts

carter carburetor help

Posted By: plymguy

carter carburetor help - 09/05/13 12:09 AM

I recently bought a 318 engine from a 1972 Plymouth Satellite to put into my '67 Fury. Ont the top of the carburetor there is a port that I have no idea what it is for or where it connects to. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
John

[image][/image]
Posted By: maxwedge1

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/05/13 12:50 AM

closed bowl vent valve....connects to charcaol cannister via rubber line

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/05/13 02:02 AM

My Fury doesn't have that canister. Can the port be blocked off or will that effect the performance? Thanks.
John
Posted By: superwrench

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/05/13 04:55 AM

Do NOT block it off...that's your atmospheric vent to the bowl. If anything, just leave it as it is.
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/05/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

Do NOT block it off...that's your atmospheric vent to the bowl. If anything, just leave it as it is.

Yup, just leave it open. Won't hurt a thing.
Best thing you could do is eliminate it (2BBL) with the manifold. What I mean is, take the 2BBL manifold off, and put a 4BBL on it. I did with my 360, loved it. Never looked back.
Posted By: TimS

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/05/13 05:51 PM

Quote:

I recently bought a 318 engine from a 1972 Plymouth Satellite to put into my '67 Fury. Ont the top of the carburetor there is a port that I have no idea what it is for or where it connects to. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
John

[image][/image]

Got one on my 72 Barraucda 318 2bbl. Those BBD's are good little carbs. Ran for years with my vent tube open without issues. It'll stumble on takeoff if you plug it.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/05/13 08:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John

[image][/image]

Got one on my 72 Barraucda 318 2bbl. Those BBD's are good little carbs. Ran for years with my vent tube open without issues. It'll stumble on takeoff if you plug it.

This one never stumbled !!

Attached picture 7840781-P5140435.JPG
Posted By: feets

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/05/13 10:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John

[image][/image]

That one vents differently.
The emissions era carbs were designed to vent into the canister so none of the evil fumes could kill off plankton living under the polar ice caps.

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/05/13 11:51 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. They were most helpful.
John
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/06/13 01:47 AM

Vac advance is the one on the passenger side. Choke diaphragm is the small one on the back. Big on the bottom of course is the PCV.

Good carbs. I love BBD's. I better model would be one with a "tin top." I think '76 and newer. The ones that have a bent PCV fitting are for slants. (I buy those!)
Posted By: TimS

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/06/13 11:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John

[image][/image]

Not the same carb. Different venting.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: carter carburetor help - 09/06/13 02:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John

[image][/image]

Not the same carb. Different venting.

You think nI didn't know that !!
© 2024 Moparts Forums