Moparts

torque converter question

Posted By: 67MIke

torque converter question - 12/13/08 09:38 PM

I was putting my truck together when I ran across this problem. The old converter was for a 440 and I'm using a 400 now. I took the 400 tq and all, but it doesn't fit my trans.. The fork that goes in to the tranny are bigger with 400 than the one for the 440.
I was just going to use the 440tq with 400 engine, but it looks like the 440 tq has two weights by the tq drain. what will work...
Thanks MIke
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: torque converter question - 12/13/08 10:50 PM

Both convs should fit the trans. Did you measure the lugs on both? Sometimes they can be a pain to engage.

To answer your question though, the 440 TC W/ the weights is for an externally balanced engine. Using it behind an internally balanced motor will cause nasty vibrations. It may be possible to remove the weights but you will have to be carefull not to cause a leak.

Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: torque converter question - 12/14/08 12:30 AM

The size of the weights on a cast crank 440 converter is the same as those on a cast crank 400 converter so they will interchange.

Some drive slots are larger than others but all are larger than the drive lugs in the pump so that's not the reason it won't go in.
Posted By: 1965_PLYMOUTH

Re: torque converter question - 12/14/08 12:52 AM

sometimes these can be a real pain to line up. we've had to stand tranny's on end occasionally to line the converters up. also, make sure you have the correct number of splines in the converter and input shaft. 67 and newer are finer splined.
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: torque converter question - 12/14/08 02:53 AM

Not sure what fork you mean but did you spin the converter to get it on and did you try the one you orignally had on with the 440.

Re: torque converter question - 12/14/08 01:49 PM

thanks for the help. I did spin the T Q to make sure it was in all the way. It seems to fit, I just didn't like the drive lugs(?) were a different size. Both engines are cast, but the 400 damper is thinner than the 440...
So should i cut the weights off the 440 T Q or... let it roll as is ....
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: torque converter question - 12/14/08 02:29 PM

Quote:

thanks for the help. I did spin the T Q to make sure it was in all the way. It seems to fit, I just didn't like the drive lugs(?) were a different size. Both engines are cast, but the 400 damper is thinner than the 440...
So should i cut the weights off the 440 T Q or... let it roll as is ....

Unless someone has put a 383 crank in the 400 it should need a external balanced converter. Not sure if it takes the same weights as a 440 though.

Re: torque converter question - 12/14/08 02:38 PM

Umm. Thanks . I think I forgot to mark my flex plate too.... This is looking towards a messy situation.. Moron alert .. Sorry first one I have done

Re: torque converter question - 12/14/08 02:55 PM

after rereading my posts and the others, the TQ does go in, IU was just worried about the drive lugs being a different size. So it should work then, I was worried about slop in the drive lugs...
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: torque converter question - 12/14/08 08:08 PM

If in doubt measure from the face of the bellhousing to the one of the drive lugs, should be back at least 1/2".

Even though the cast crank 440 and 400 are both externally balanced the dampers aren't the same, the cast crank 400 damper is thinner than the 440.

Re: torque converter question - 12/14/08 11:24 PM

thanks guy's. I just used the 400 TQ,. fit good and spun okay. We'll see....
© 2024 Moparts Forums