Moparts

Rear disk brakes

Posted By: bdusted440

Rear disk brakes - 08/30/13 03:00 AM

what years did mopar put rear brakes on there rear ends.I remember the c bodys used them.Any ideas?
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Rear disk brakes - 08/30/13 03:14 AM

Not on C body.. They were used on the 74 Imperials.. Not worth swaping them to another rearend. The parts are expensive and hard to find..
Posted By: bdusted440

Re: Rear disk brakes - 08/30/13 03:40 AM

Did the diplomats have them in the police package?
Posted By: chargincharles

Re: Rear disk brakes - 08/30/13 08:24 AM

Nope.....
Just standard 11 x 2 1/2 drums- same as Civvy Dips.
The only REAL difference was a larger sway bar in front, and an additional sway bar at the rear....that's it as far as the suspension/brakes are concerned.

Check-
http://www.dippy.org

There has been some success with people swapping the rear from a later model Ferd Exploder into the M-bodies. This gets the full rear disc set-up, good parts availability, and a good selection of aftermarket gear ratios.

If you want to keep it all-Mopar you may want to look at later model Jeep Cherokees- I THINK (someone else will need to confirm) that they had rear discs as an option.

Chrysler just made such great drum setups they didn't see a need to switch!

Also- found this over at Allpar-

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/rear-discs.html

It uses aftermarket parts, but may be what you are looking for.

Good Luck with it, hope this answers your question...
CC.

Posted By: burdar

Re: Rear disk brakes - 08/30/13 02:08 PM

There is a rear disc kit for the 8 3/4 you can buy from Jeg's for $400.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Rear disk brakes - 08/30/13 02:41 PM

Quote:

Nope.....
Just standard 11 x 2 1/2 drums- same as Civvy Dips.
The only REAL difference was a larger sway bar in front, and an additional sway bar at the rear....that's it as far as the suspension/brakes are concerned.

Civvy Dips, at least my 87, had 10" drums. When I updated my Dip one of the updates was the 11" drums off an 87 Gran Fury AHB car.

Rear springs have an additional leaf and the shocks are different too. Plus the combination valve is different.

My favorite stock based brake package is 11.75" rotors, AHB 11" drums with the cop M body combo valve. It's what I run on the Cuda now.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Rear disk brakes - 08/30/13 05:56 PM

If it has to do with a rear end or disk brakes on a rear, it behooves you to call DoctorDiff!

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums