Moparts

Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator?

Posted By: Road Ronin

Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/29/13 04:25 AM

I've heard diametrically opposed opinions about how to do this without vibration causing breakage to the aluminum:

1) weld custom pieces to the radiator so that it bolts in just like the original.

2) fabricate clamping brackets to hold it in place, using rubber spacers to dampen vibration.

Thanks in advance for setting me straight on this.

Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/29/13 04:32 AM

I've direct/solid mounted a few aluminum radiators in different cars and never had a problem for what it's worth..
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/29/13 04:40 AM

I made a cradle for mine (of steel), that the mounting flange lies in. The cradle has 2 studs on the bottom that sit in holes in the body. For the top, drilled some holes through the flange and it's secured with bolts to the radiator support.

It's been like that for 5+ years, no problems.

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/29/13 10:52 PM

Thanks guys. Do either of you have pictures you can share?
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/29/13 11:58 PM

Quote:

I've direct/solid mounted a few aluminum radiators in different cars and never had a problem YET for what it's worth..

I just use rubber between the rad and mount with a bolt and nylock nut. It can be fuel line cut into short lengths, rubber grommets or pretty much any piece that will fit. I have done a few "hard mounts" like OZ and never had any cracking issues YET though.

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/30/13 12:11 AM

Here is the tabs welded onto the radiator..

Attached picture 7832516-009(28).JPG

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/30/13 12:13 AM

Bolted it up... (looking for a pic from the engine side, but you get the idea at least.. )

Attached picture 7832518-023(13).JPG

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/30/13 12:15 AM

Attached picture 7832523-radiatorfront.jpg

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/30/13 12:16 AM

Attached picture 7832526-057(4).JPG

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/30/13 12:21 AM

And just for the heck of it.

Attached picture 7832531-engine.jpg
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 08/30/13 01:16 AM

I bought a 22" Champion radiator that was advertised to fit my Challenger with mounting brackets with holes already welded on.

I had to drill 1 hole that didn't line up to the factory bolts holes in the radiator support then bolted it in.

Everything fit perfect and the hose inlets were in the correct locations to use factory molded hoses.

Has kept my 440 Six Pack Challenger running at 160 degrees all summer.

Attached picture 7832623-radiator.JPG

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 09/01/13 05:02 AM

Thanks OzHemi and KillerBee! Those pix are helpful.

And your engine bay looks gorgeous, Oz.

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 09/01/13 05:09 AM

Thank you!

It took some work, but I am happy with how it came out.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 09/01/13 05:14 AM

I modified some Ford radiator brackets. Works great.

Attached picture 7834904-MVC-019S.JPG
Posted By: jcc

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 09/01/13 03:17 PM

Quote:

I've heard diametrically opposed opinions about how to do this without vibration causing breakage to the aluminum:

1) weld custom pieces to the radiator so that it bolts in just like the original.

2) fabricate clamping brackets to hold it in place, using rubber spacers to dampen vibration.

Thanks in advance for setting me straight on this.

If the original rad was alum, that would give some guidance as to how to mount tabs.

I don't think the main purpose of rubber mounting is to to isolate vibration, more to prevent radiator from becoming a structural member of the chassis. Alum is a lot less tolerant of repetitive flexing, and if hard welded tabs are resilient enough, no major problems should arise. One example IMO that is a problem is "overwelding" the tabs, welding itself causes possible future cracking issues, and the tab having some give instead of all streeses being directed to radiator has got to be a plus. That said, I weld tabs on mine, Angles welded on 3 of 4 sides only.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 09/01/13 04:42 PM

I did mine with a bracket on top like this. The bottom has 2 similar brackets on each side under the tanks, The brackets are lined with foam insulation. It's been like this for many years...works good

Attached picture 7835158-Picture487.jpg
Posted By: Joesixpack

Re: Best way to mount an aftermarket aluminum radiator? - 09/01/13 04:57 PM

Looks good....am going the same route, 22 inch 3 core alum radiator to replace current low budget 19 in a 22 core support, adding electric fan&external trans cooler.

Attached picture 7835176-IMG_20130830_112024.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums