Moparts

Why are these carb parts green?

Posted By: 426runner

Why are these carb parts green? - 08/26/13 03:10 AM

I just went through my carbs 2 weeks ago. They were pretty nasty from basically sitting for several years with very little use. Started the motor up after the meticulous cleaning and the motor ran WONDERFULLY. Well, it has been sitting for 2 weeks. I pulled the carbs apart again to re-jet/re-rod the carbs (based on info from a Moparts thread) and what do I find... green tinted gas and this green residue on the jets and rod tips!

Is this due to ethanol in the gas?? These parts are from the rear carb. 2 weeks ago, as I was listening to the car idle so nicely, it ran out of gas... there was just a bit of gas at the bottom of the carb... I'm assuming that's why the residue is only at the tips.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/26/13 03:44 AM

it'd have to be the gas but I've ran gasahol (E10 ethanol) with no discoloration
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/26/13 03:49 AM

Wow! I doubt an additive would do that. Pump some into a jar and let it sit. Florida humidity can combine with ethanol and they will sink to the bottom of the tank. Look and see if the water seperates out. I wonder if they delivery driver checks for water where you bought last. They try to cut corners all the time.
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/26/13 04:50 PM

oxidization I would think, brass turns green when it corrodes. Ethanol does love to attracts moisture.....
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/26/13 05:29 PM

That's what was in the back of my mind that I couldn't put my finger on & that is moisture. ethanol absorbs it so it's everywhere in the mixture & it ain't always settled at the bottom seperately like what happens with regular gas & I'd think it'd sure take a high percentage of it to corrode the brass green in 2 weeks. Hopefully just as said a bad load of gas but I'm wondering what it did elsewhere. Holler how it turns out
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/27/13 02:22 AM

Some fuel additives will do that, I suggest trying Lucas products Lucas Fuel Additives, one of the few products on the market that were formulated for todays gasoline that often contains ethanol.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/27/13 02:36 AM

Something copper or copper based is corroding in your system.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/27/13 04:21 AM

Those parts are brass? and Brass is copper based.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/27/13 05:51 AM

Do you have any copper "fuel line" in use?

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/27/13 01:41 PM

No copper fuel lines but I will point out that the gas was old... maybe even knockin on a year. Also I had an additive recommended by a local performance shop. Could be the perfect storm of negatives... old gas, ethanol/moisture and additive. Since this motor seems to be sorted out and I'll actually be burning the gas in a reasonable amount of time, I am rethinking what combination of fuels to use. Motor is close to stock 10+:1. A friend with a similar setup uses 3:1, 93 pump gas and 101 leaded race fuel. What do you guys use?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/27/13 01:50 PM

Most fuel additives/performance boosters were developed before ethanol was added to gasoline blends so accordingly, can sometimes cause issues. If using an additive with gas that has ethanol be sure they are compatible first.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/28/13 01:20 AM

I've had excellent results with the Star Tron Starbrite fuel system teatment. Supposedly it is engineered to elminate phase separation due to the ethanol in the gas today.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/28/13 03:09 AM

I've replaced fuel tanks and the sending units in my '67 Satellite and '70 Swinger because of Ethanol damage.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/28/13 03:18 AM

The Sta-Bil marine formula is said to work good and one bottle treats like 380 gal.
http://www.goldeagle.com/mobile/products/product01A7.aspx
Posted By: klunick

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/28/13 05:45 PM

Had same thing with a 2 1/2hp go cart motor that I had sitting down in the basement for about 10 years. When I pulled the carb apart, all the gas was green and stunk like no tomorrow. That green crap is hard to get off your hands too!!
Posted By: vdriver

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/28/13 06:23 PM

I was just watching a Roadkill episode last night and they ran across the same thing. They talk about it at the 13:10 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGjMIjNkwhc
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/28/13 08:43 PM

Looks like ethanol might be the cause of the green mystery coating...I've seen the texaco additives turn parts red,and shell gas turns some parts yellow...Green was a new one to me also...I use Star tron in the motorhome for the winter slumber and I use sta-bil ethanol treatment with each tank in the classic cars so mabe that's why I have'nt run across the green death yet..

Re: Why are these carb parts green? - 08/28/13 08:58 PM

Rest assured I will be including a compatible additive to the gas from now on . Thanks for all the help!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums