Moparts

Beginner mopar questions

Posted By: a12superbee

Beginner mopar questions - 08/21/13 08:13 AM

Someone at work is twitching pretty hard for a mopar to call his very own.
Are there any good books or sites to learn the basic stuff, as in;
How to read a VIN
Where to look for body numbers
Why having the tag or sheet is in his best interest.

The basic stuff we all take for granted.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Posted By: Diplomat440

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/21/13 08:55 AM

got the perfect site for him. great wealth of info

link

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/21/13 09:14 AM

Heh, thanks for that but I was hoping for something a bit easier to read and understand than forums are.
I'll drag him here if he finds himself a car though.
Posted By: Brian_wo

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/21/13 12:14 PM

If he has a smart phone google vin decoder,he can then look up and vin any time.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/21/13 02:14 PM

Help him pick an appropriate car that is solid & up & running as that is the #1 mistake for a beginner which is purchasing a "project". A project is fine if you have another mopar which is driveable but that's not the case here. Suggest that he waste as many hours of his day as he can get by with on the computer on this site. Everything I know came from the collective vast experience of the thousands of Mopar experts on here
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/21/13 02:45 PM

Try to get him to narrow it down to a body type. It will help in the search. The engines are all pretty much the same from there. Body style often determines price and parts availability.

E-Bodies are overpriced. Not for the weak of budget but repro parts are plentiful.

A-bodies are often reasonably priced but if you want big block power some mods usually have to be taken into account. Not a lot but some things are issues, headers, clutch linkage etc.

B-bodies range from dirt cheap to ridiculous depending on year, body and options.

Later B, M & F bodies are cheaper but some parts can be hard because nobody give them respect.

C-Bodies are really cool and often reasonable priced, but parts are hard sometimes because most people don't keep them and most were junked long ago.

Find out how much can he spend and start looking at what he is looking for. Don't jump on the first one unless it is a smoking deal. There are always more out there.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/21/13 03:16 PM

Year One catelog has all the basic VIN and body info AND will give him an idea of what's available for parts and prices.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/21/13 05:43 PM

For the beginner, i would suggest the classic A-body, '67 - '76 Dart or Valiant.

If one wants bigblock power in one of those, it is as close as the nearest 4" stroker crank!

R.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/22/13 04:31 AM

Quote:

For the beginner, i would suggest the classic A-body, '67 - '76 Dart or Valiant.

If one wants bigblock power in one of those, it is as close as the nearest 4" stroker crank!

R.

What he ^ said.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/22/13 04:33 AM

He can visit the HH Library anytime, 24-7.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

Re: Beginner mopar questions - 08/22/13 07:44 AM

Cool, thanks guys!
I've ordered a red book for him (do ppl really pay 60$ for one?) and have a few year one catalogs, I'd forgotten they had some good info in them.

He's mentioned 68-9 runners a few times so that's probably what he'll be on the hunt for. Good choice I'd think, plenty of parts and info on them.

Told him to spend up front and save himself some grief since he really isn't a mechanical guy.

I'll send him the links for your site Barry, and for here of course.

Thanks for the suggestions fellers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums