Moparts

4-wheel disk brake manual master

Posted By: Anonymous

4-wheel disk brake manual master - 12/12/08 05:37 PM

So, where can I get one?
Preferably, something I can get from the corner parts shop.

69 barracuda, '73 front dart discs, '84 caddy seville rear discs
Posted By: moparAL

Re: 4-wheel disk brake manual master - 12/12/08 06:27 PM

Dr. Diff was working on one don't know if it ever came out???
Posted By: feets

Re: 4-wheel disk brake manual master - 12/12/08 07:10 PM

I used a manual master cylinder from an early 80s truck. It's WAY too big for the M-body calipers in front and Caddy rear calipers.
Hard braking usually required firm application of both size 15 feets and 225 lbs of my chunky butt hovering above the seat.

I put the monster AMG calipers on the front and now the pedal feels just right.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 4-wheel disk brake manual master - 12/12/08 07:31 PM

I don't think you'll ever find a master cylinder that will work with A body calipers up front and Caddy calipers in the rear. Those two items are so mis-matched that you can't solve it with a single MC. You would most likely need dual masters to make that combination work with the MC feeding the rears having a much smaller piston.
Posted By: BLACKFISH

Re: 4-wheel disk brake manual master - 12/13/08 12:11 AM

I use an early 80's power brake master with and adjustable valve for the back. Stock a-body up front and caddy in the back. Stops great. It's the aluminum bodied master with plastic resivoirs.
RAYBESTOS PT#MC39178
Posted By: jbc426

Re: 4-wheel disk brake manual master - 12/13/08 03:04 PM

Quote:

Dr. Diff was working on one don't know if it ever came out???

The master cylinder Dr Diff recommended and sold me for my 1968 A-body is cast iron unit that has a 15/16th's bore and works perfectly with the 11 3/4" Unicast fronts with hDr Diff's 2006 Mustang Cobra "R" rear disc kit.

It's really an incredibly balanced combination for a low-cost, non-power, heavy-duty street system. I highly recommend it and the kind Doctor!

Attached picture 4876273-UndercarrigeReassembly046(Large).jpg
Posted By: MoparKansas

Re: 4-wheel disk brake manual master - 12/16/08 09:15 PM

Andy -

Would an adjustable proportioning valve solve the problem with the rear brakes? I bought one of the TSM kits a long time ago and planned on using it and the 11 3/4 Cordoba brakes (from your stock of rotor club for men rotors ) on the front of my '73 Challenger. Seemed like it would be good upgrade?

Can you expand on why one of the truck masters won't work? I'm a little too far into polishing one of these master cylinders to believe that it wont work. But I would rather be safe than sorry...
© 2024 Moparts Forums