Moparts

ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone

Posted By: Dakota_Don

ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/12/08 05:14 PM

well as some of remember i had been having problems with my electronic ignition upgrade on my 68 dart.

I went through 3 Dist 2 re-man and 1 new all from A-1 Cardone.

after the third one i found the mechanical advance wasnt moving ( to tight of springs) So instead of fixing the new dist I called the tech dept at A-1 Cardone. Seems they made over 1000 mopar distributors like the ones i recieved.

The tech guy said they have some of them back but not all, so if you get a new or reman dist from A-1 cardone beware it may act funny on the mechanical advance.
Any way I feel i should not have to fix thier junk so I am sending it back for a refund and I purchaced a used OEM dist for my 68 318 dart..

Also earlier this yr i also needed a replacement MC for my 68 dart, so i got a rebuilt one from A-1 cardone, well it also sucked , seems my original MC had redisual valves in the MC and the re-man MC didnt, and with out them it caused excessive pedal travel. What is it with these guys, ..
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/12/08 05:44 PM

Lets see 3 bad distributors and 1 bad MC... You're a slow learner aren't you?

J/K
Posted By: moper

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/12/08 06:09 PM

Yup, mass rebuilders can be rough. A1 used to be decent... but like everyone else, the cheaper we have to have them, the worse the parts and labor.
Posted By: SPWC

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/12/08 06:31 PM

I just recently purchased an Electronic A-1 Cardone Distributor for my Slant 6. Something just wasnt quite right,So I compared it to a Points distributor I had. Found out the little spring clip under the felt that holds the upper and lower shafts together was missing,The felt was missing too.

Glad I caught it prior to the install.

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/12/08 06:58 PM

Quote:

Lets see 3 bad distributors and 1 bad MC... You're a slow learner aren't you?

J/K

A P-Oed slow learner
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/12/08 07:46 PM

Don did you have any luck freeing those weights up?

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/13/08 05:23 AM

well i kinda figured since this POS new(made in china) dist. doesn't work, why should I spend my time fixing it.(they made over 1000 of them with this problem)
I will send it back, I could have changed the springs, ect. So I asked for a refund and I have a good used o.e.m. Mopar dist. on the way.

Thanks Rapid for your help.

I just want people to be aware, just because it's new doesn't mean it works.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/13/08 04:21 PM

a1 sells NEW parts? I thought all they had were remans. Anyone know who makes the SB electronic distributor for Summit? In USA, or no? (Summit PN 850003)
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/13/08 04:38 PM

With the thousands of O.E.M. distributors out there dirt cheap,why would you even bother.Just re-do one and be done with it.Unless you don't want to get your hands dirty.

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/13/08 04:55 PM

yes a-1 sells new dist, called A-1 select, and as far as finding a used dist. at the time i was looking, I hit every JY in my area and nothing at all.. so i purchaced a reman from a-1 for 30 bucks, then when it didnt work I got the new for 77 bucks.. end of story
Posted By: volaredon

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/14/08 06:43 PM

Quote:

With the thousands of O.E.M. distributors out there dirt cheap,why would you even bother.Just re-do one and be done with it.Unless you don't want to get your hands dirty.

Cuz I got this new one for $50 from Ebay; $64.50 shipped with a module. That way I can redo my orig one and have something to plug in the motor while I order any parts that need to be so I can drive the thing.
Posted By: Mr_fixit

Re: ignition woes (up-date) A-1 Cardone - 12/14/08 09:39 PM

More than 20 years ago I worked at a automotive part distributor. They got back a huge amoont of a1-cardone stuff, newly rebuild but defective stuff. If you were patient, you might get a good rebuilt one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums